Sepia

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited October 16, 2007 in People
So I've always wanted to try 'sepia'... I found an image that I wanted to try this with, I google for a method on how to convert to sepia and voila, 90187349018740192384 different methods. Riiiiight :scratch

So in the end I tried one that looked easy to me (and mainly because this one was written in such a way that I understood it :lol3); Add a layer, fill with sepia like color (i used 5E2612), set to 'soft light' and slide the fill back to around 30% or so.

Result:
207482647-L.jpg
What do you think, enough sepia? too much? not enough?

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I like it! No complaints over here. She's lovely, and you captured her well, too. thumb.gif

Is there a difference between doing a photo in sepia and just toning greyscale? Or does it just depend the hue of the tone you use?
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Ivar, I think it looks just great. One of the potential problems of a sepia toning is that it often looks too red, especially in the 3/4 tones. Checking the values in cmyk in PS, the channels look exactly even throughout the full range, except in the darkest shadows, where the cyan is slightly higher, which is excellent. Looks like it worked well. Lovely capture and treatment.

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I like it! No complaints over here. She's lovely, and you captured her well, too. thumb.gif

Is there a difference between doing a photo in sepia and just toning greyscale? Or does it just depend the hue of the tone you use?
    Thanks Schmoo, I guess this method works.

I'm not sure about the differences between the way I did it and between toning greyscale. What I did do different from the tutorial, is that they desaturated the color version first, and then applied the sepia. I did a bw conversion, channelmixer style and applied the sepia to that. It looked quite a bit different actually, but I preferred this one.
    edited October 13, 2007
    JimW wrote:
    Ivar, I think it looks just great. One of the potential problems of a sepia toning is that it often looks too red, especially in the 3/4 tones. Checking the values in cmyk in PS, the channels look exactly even throughout the full range, except in the darkest shadows, where the cyan is slightly higher, which is excellent. Looks like it worked well. Lovely capture and treatment.

Jim
    Thanks Jim! I have no idea what you said about the cmyk values and them looking equal and all, but I'm glad to hear this method works and is liked thumb.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Works for me!
    Beautiful shot of a beautiful lady, and I like what you did with it.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Not too little at all, it's a warm photo, very nice.

I often use this Greg Gorman (here's the .pdf) for B&W, because it includes a toning step.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Luminosity toning works great, too, try it :D

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1077316
    edited October 16, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    Beautiful shot of a beautiful lady, and I like what you did with it.
    :curtsey Thank you
    edited October 16, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Not too little at all, it's a warm photo, very nice.

I often use this Greg Gorman (here's the .pdf) for B&W, because it includes a toning step.
    Thanks Sid,

I've saved it, and may give that a try at some point thumb.gif
    edited October 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Luminosity toning works great, too, try it :D

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1077316
    More tutes to try rolleyes1.gif ... this one has pictures, I'm liking that :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    More tutes to try rolleyes1.gif ... this one has pictures, I'm liking that :D

I use this one and I find it simple and effective. thumb.gif