Options

Digital Infra Red

4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
edited March 4, 2005 in Technique
I woudl love soem information on shooting infra red digitally if anyone knows of a link or article they could steer me to..

I shoot with D100 and I am fairly but not postive there isn't a setting for this..

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I woudl love soem information on shooting infra red digitally if anyone knows of a link or article they could steer me to..

I shoot with D100 and I am fairly but not postive there isn't a setting for this..

dslrs are not particularly well suited to ir. you can do it, with mixed results. you simply need an ir filter (like a hoya r72) and a tripod and a long exposure. metering is off, you shoot manual, can't see thru the vf so you compose and then put the filter on. gotta be a windless day, else the trees are all blurry.

better to use a camera suited for infrared, like a sony f717 for example.

here's a load of info on ir in this thread. and here is a gallery of ir shots that i hope you like :D
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    dslrs are not particularly well suited to ir. you can do it, with mixed results. you simply need an ir filter (like a hoya r72) and a tripod and a long exposure. metering is off, you shoot manual, can't see thru the vf so you compose and then put the filter on. gotta be a windless day, else the trees are all blurry.

here's a load of info on ir in this thread. and here is a gallery of ir shots that i hope you like :D
    My jaw is still dropped Andy. Breath taking shots... Thnxs for the links!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    andy wrote:

Or one of those new 20Da's... come on, you MUST be getting one!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Or one of those new 20Da's... come on, you MUST be getting one!

it's actually *not* sensitive to infrared... unfortunately. too bad.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's actually *not* sensitive to infrared... unfortunately. too bad.
    really? I thought that was the whole point? what was that part in the preview about it needing a cut filter to be used for normal photography?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    really? I thought that was the whole point? what was that part in the preview about it needing a cut filter to be used for normal photography?

it's sensitive for astro-stuff (certain reds, e.g.) anything more, david_s85 or shay stephens would have to answer. they have membership in area 51 and stuff like that lol3.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    One of the earlier Olympus prosumers (3030 or 2020 i dunno ...about 3-4 years back) was supposed to be really good with IR. Just grab a P&S & aim the TV remote at it & see if you can see it through the LCD screen.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    4labs,

As Andy's pics show, shooting IR is extremely entertaining and rewarding clap.gif

It can get so bad that you wind up shooting nothing but IR.....lol As others have pointed out, there are a number of IR capable digitals out there. The Sonys with the NightShot feature, the original Minolta D7, the Canon G2 and others. These cameras will let you get decent shutter speeds so you can capture just about anything but fast action.

I used to really enjoy shooting candids in IR. Like this one of a famous NYC photographer :lol

original.jpg
    Also, there are many ways you can edit IRs during post processing that post becomes almost as enjoyable as the shooting :D This one of Andy was processed with a Duotone Dream Action.

But, IMO, IRs forte is landscapes. You can take an ordinary scene and make it "other-worldly" by shooting it in IR. I think that's the attraction for me. I need all the creative help I can get and IR seems to boost my creative juices.

Anyhow, hopefully you can see why I'll be taking an IR capable camera to the Yosemite shootout thumb.gif

If you're interested here are more IR images (shot with Sony cameras). While not as good as Andy's shots, they are fairly decent :):

http://www.pbase.com/slo2k/717_ir

Watch out though. IR shooting can be extremely addictive rolleyes1.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    4labs,

As Andy's pics show, shooting IR is extremely entertaining and rewarding clap.gif

It can get so bad that you wind up shooting nothing but IR.....lol As others have pointed out, there are a number of IR capable digitals out there. The Sonys with the NightShot feature, the original Minolta D7, the Canon G2 and others. These cameras will let you get decent shutter speeds so you can capture just about anything but fast action.

I used to really enjoy shooting candids in IR. Like this one of a famous NYC photographer :lol

original.jpg
    Also, there are many ways you can edit IRs during post processing that post becomes almost as enjoyable as the shooting :D This one of Andy was processed with a Duotone Dream Action.

But, IMO, IRs forte is landscapes. You can take an ordinary scene and make it "other-worldly" by shooting it in IR. I think that's the attraction for me. I need all the creative help I can get and IR seems to boost my creative juices.

11710115.DSC02253cw.jpg

Anyhow, hopefully you can see why I'll be taking an IR capable camera to the Yosemite shootout thumb.gif

If you're interested here are more IR images (shot with Sony cameras). While not as good as Andy's shots, they are fairly decent :):

http://www.pbase.com/slo2k/717_ir

Watch out though. IR shooting can be extremely addictive rolleyes1.gif

Steve
    Steve thnxs for for the info and the link. I wish I was going to Yosemite I bet it will be a memorable experience..I wonder what I will have to bargain the wife for to pick up one of those cameras.. Hopefully not another pup..I was blown away by Andy's Ir inages particularly the Central Park ones since I know it so well. I think I need to buy one to give me something to strive for. Is there a 12 step program for this site I def am addicted?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    While other camera's may be a little better suited for IR, I have a cokin filet I use with my D100 to shoot IR.

8735842-M.jpg

These shots were more or less just a test when I purchased the filter, and I have not had the opportunity to use it as much as I would like.

7304135-M.jpg

Rest assured, the filter will be with me in Yosemite as well. It can be very fun to experiment with.

7304149-M.jpg

And I find that my D100's meter is acurate with the filter on and the autofocus works just fine.

7304143-M.jpg

I would recommend buying the cokin filter and playing with it rather than spending a lot of money on a dedicated IR camera. If you find yourself truly loving it, then spend the money on something that may work better.

7304154-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    Greaper,

These look great thumb.gifthumb.gif It also looks like you are getting decent speeds too. What are your usual settings, using the D100?

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    Hmmm, ussual settings, I think I shot most of these in manual using the meter in camera,

You can get EXIF HERE

Andy mentioned that you cannot see through the veiwfinder when the filter is on and he said you had to compose then add the filter. This is kind of true.

I found that I could get the shot that I wanted (sometimes) by shooting blind and then chimping, and adjusting from there. either way it was fun and I plan to do a lot of it this spring and summer.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Hmmm, ussual settings, I think I shot most of these in manual using the meter in camera,

You can get EXIF HERE

Andy mentioned that you cannot see through the veiwfinder when the filter is on and he said you had to compose then add the filter. This is kind of true.

I found that I could get the shot that I wanted (sometimes) by shooting blind and then chimping, and adjusting from there. either way it was fun and I plan to do a lot of it this spring and summer.
    I will definately try it . Thnxs so much for posting this... Is it teh same filter you use for Film Ir? Red?
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    Wow!! 1/25 on the water shot, that's very decent thumb.gif

Not being able to see my subject in the VF would kill me. I am not the world's most patient person (although a little patience would probably improve my shots tenfold rolleyes1.gif ) so the multiple steps would be too much to do on a regular basis. Which is why I hardly ever shot my Sony's in Manual IR mode. But, in this mode you always needed 2 -10 second shutter speeds, which doesn't work well with even a light breeze in the air.

I think Andy is having Maxmax mod a DReb so that he will be able to see through the VF. If it works, that sounds like one hot setup clap.gif I don't believe the "blind" DReb worked out well for him. I can understand that completely after being spoiled for 3 years with NightShot mwink.gif

That's a nice setup you have too. Really good results thumb.gifthumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    THIS is the filter I use in a cokin P series filter holder.