Almost perfect!!

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited October 15, 2007 in People
Well I said to someone here awhile back that when I ever get a perfect shot that needs no editing out of the camera that this forum would be the first to know. Well it hasn't happened yet, but these are the closest I have ever come.

My neighbor asked me to take a few shots of her daughter in her homecoming court attire before the game last night. The sunlight is coming from behind her, and I used a piece of foam core to bounce it onto her face and under the brim of her hat. I have to admit I got antsy when the light first fell on her face. I did a bit of selective sharpening, and a very minor levels adjustment, followed by some overall softening.

C&C is welcome as always.....

207572594-M.jpg

207572614-L.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    WOW - Nicely done thumb.gif

And, an added benefit from the reflector is the nice catchlights in her eyes. I really like the crop/composition on the second one - that is just superb!

And, is she gorgeous or what?
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    SOOOOO NICE! Beautiful!!! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    WOW - Nicely done thumb.gif

And, an added benefit from the reflector is the nice catchlights in her eyes. I really like the crop/composition on the second one - that is just superb!

And, is she gorgeous or what?

Thanks Scott. I like 2 better also. Her shoulders were square on to me in 1. The twist of the neck in 2 helps it I think.

I have to admit that the full length shots didn't fair as well and need some work. I had just this one spot in my back yard to grab sunlight. The rest was in shade.....so.......for the full length shot I used my flash, but bounced it off the card about 3 feet to my left. It was an experiment to see if I could mimic an off camera flash since I dont have the hardware to do that yet. It may have worked, but the photo still needs work. I will try to remember to post it when I get it done, but it won't be today. We have the dance tonight and I have to be at two places at once to photograph my daughters. In addition to that, my youngest has just told me that a group...10 or so...of her friends and their dates are meeting for me to do their pics in lieu of going to a local studio. Nice surprise huh? Oh, and LSU is playing this afternoon(not sure how I can squeeze that in). Oh well, today is one of the days that I will get plenty opportunity to photograph my girls and I am happy to do it!!
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I love the first one! The second is a great photo but it looks like was kind of forcing her expression. The foam core bounced just enough light to keep it natural while providing the detail and catch lights. Nice job.
  • Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Very nice job with the reflector! I like the crop in 2 better than in 1. It seems to make it more personal. Great job.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Gosh
    thumb.gif I couldn't begin to critique those shots. I'm so taken by their overall effect. Guess that's why I'll never be really good at this.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    These are beautiful pictures. I really like the crop in the second one as well.
    edited October 13, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    thumb.gif I couldn't begin to critique those shots. I'm so taken by their overall effect. Guess that's why I'll never be really good at this.

Never say never. I still throw away plenty myself, but practice and learning what others do is a huge help.
  • SPACESPACE Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I think they are great.
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Very nice!!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Wow!
    Absolutely stunning! Her eyes are just gorgeous. Clever use of reflector. The results are spectacular! Awesome portraits, Jeff. wings.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited October 14, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Absolutely stunning! Her eyes are just gorgeous. Clever use of reflector. The results are spectacular! Awesome portraits, Jeff. wings.gif

Thanks Lynne,

I have been sorting through and editing photos all weekend. Lets see....there was the pep rally Friday. These shots Friday afternoon. The football game Friday night(won 46-6). Then Saturday night was the dance, and I had to meet both daughters at different locations to do snapshots with their friends. I also did some couples that did not want to go to a studio. If I took 1 photo since Thursday, I took 2000!!!! Well not that many, but probably very close to 1000. It was nice to get this particular set that needed very little help straight from the camera.

The reflected light was great for these shots. It gave nice soft shadows, and pushed some light right under the brim of her hat. If I had put more thought into it, and given +1/3 to make up for the bright sky in the top right corners, then I may not have had to do anything other than sharpen.
    It was a nice surprise!!!
  • nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    I have looked at these shots like 100 times and didn't post...(don't know why). but for some reason they are sticking in my head. She is just stunning and has the most fantastic eyes. Great job! clap.gif
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
    edited October 14, 2007
    I have looked at these shots like 100 times and didn't post...(don't know why). but for some reason they are sticking in my head. She is just stunning and has the most fantastic eyes. Great job! clap.gif

Well I am glad that you decided to chime in. I have to give all the credit to a fairly low afternoon sun, and the reflector. I used Canons 85mm F1.8 lens which is known for it's sharpness. For reference, my subject was maybe 5 or 6 feet away from me, with the sun over her right shoulder(camera left) and behind her low in the sky. Her mom was to our right a tad and between us but closer to the girl holding the reflector. I took the shot directly over Mom's left shoulder....with the reflector and Mom barely out of view.

I use an entry level DLSR (canon XTi) ,and the 85mm is a $350 lens, the foam core I bought at Wally world for a couple dollars so these shots are very attainable for anyone willing to put in some practice and a little forethought.
  • canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Nice shots. Are her eyes really that color or did you enhance them in photoshop? either way, nice job in capturing the light.
    edited October 15, 2007
    canonguy wrote:
    Nice shots. Are her eyes really that color or did you enhance them in photoshop? either way, nice job in capturing the light.

Her eyes are that color.

They have been enhanced by sharpening, but ...I'm sure...they are even sharper in life than canon and adobe can muster, but the color hasn't been altered. They are all aglow because of the light from the relector.

I wouldn't change eye color... even on request. Funny thing about hazel eyes is that if I had moved her away from the mud colored wall of my house and faced her to the yard, they would have changed color on their own.