Options

First Attempt At Sport

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited March 6, 2005 in Sports
Hi everyone........I'm pretending I know what I'm doing here, Andy insists that I can do it, so here goes :)

I got my first DSLR last week, and got to try it out on the weekend, and I have to tell you I am totally gobsmack at it's ability.

Most folks know I am right in to Macro, but I'm in love with my Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM Lens (which Andy helped me purchase).

I have never been interested in Sport whatsoever until I got hold of this lens, and these are from my second day with my new gear :)

Enjoy :): Skippy (Australia)

IMG_0353Ed800web1.jpg

IMG_0347Ed1_filtered.jpg
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi everyone........I'm pretending I know what I'm doing here, Andy insists that I can do it, so here goes :)

I got my first DSLR last week, and got to try it out on the weekend, and I have to tell you I am totally gobsmack at it's ability.

Most folks know I am right in to Macro, but I'm in love with my Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM Lens (which Andy helped me purchase).

I have never been interested in Sport whatsoever until I got hold of this lens, and these are from my second day with my new gear :)

Hey Skippy welcome welcome!!!wave.gif love your shots!! look forward to seeing your macro stuff too 1drink.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Welcome skippy,

excellent shots, great colours and so sharp, certainly looks like you know what your doing to me! thumb.gif
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    I've feen following the reports on you getting your gear closely on STF. Even marvelled the B&H parcel you posted. Can't wait to see what you can do with your new gear, since I really like what you did before. These shots look promising!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    Howdy Skippy... gotta love those mini bikes! :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    Hi Skippy!

Nice work with 70-200!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,747 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Great pictures thumb.gif

Are those young kids on the bikes?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    GSPeP wrote:
    Great pictures thumb.gif

nod.gif gotta be, look at the giant heads! rolleyes1.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    Good ones Skippy ^5
    Welcome Skippy wave.gif It's great to have you hereclap.gif

I don't know why you are soooooo concerned that you're going to have trouble duplicating your excellent results, just cuz you got a new camera. You've always known how to shoot, and this camera is going to help you more than any other camera you've owned nod.gif

I realize that the shots above were probably "practice shots" and they still came out super thumb.gif I really can't wait to see what you and the 20D can do on macro shots.

Anyhow, big heads or not (Laughing.gif @ Erik), these are really nice action shots thumb.gif I have a feeling you are going to be extremely happy with this camera. Plus, it looks like you will be very comfortable shooting with it by the time you leave for your "roadtrip".

Thanks for sharing and it's good to see another old friend here :):

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    Welcome Skippy
    Hey Skippy! Good to see you over here on this forum. Lots of us STF'ers and DPR people here. wave.gif Can't wait to see all the good work you'll do with your new gear. While the 70-200 IS L is probably not the best for spider macro's, I think you'll enjoy the reach for other subjects, like you posted above.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    G'day skippy...thanks for joining, we need more convicts on the board.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    There goes the neighborhood
    Hey Skippy,

Welcome, I'm glad you found your way over here. I think you will like it here.
    Very nice pics BTW.thumb.gif

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    Thanks Lynn
    lynnma wrote:
    Hey Skippy welcome welcome!!!wave.gif love your shots!! look forward to seeing your macro stuff too 1drink.gif
    I've just got home from being out at a Relay For Life Rally......just looking at todays shots now....thank you for the welcome :) ...... Skippy

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    Thanks Gubbs
    gubbs wrote:
    Welcome skippy,

excellent shots, great colours and so sharp, certainly looks like you know what your doing to me! thumb.gif
    I am feeling more an more comfortable with the camera, been a whole week now since I got it, and I am so pleased with it :) thanks for your comment :):
    Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    Thank you Marlof
    marlof wrote:
    I've feen following the reports on you getting your gear closely on STF. Even marvelled the B&H parcel you posted. Can't wait to see what you can do with your new gear, since I really like what you did before. These shots look promising!
    Ahhhhh a secret follower hu? hehehe rolleyes1.gif
    I tried some hand held night shots last night and tonight on my way home from the Relay For Life Rally.........haven't had a chance to look at tonights yet, but last nights just had me in awe, I am so happy and pleased, I just gotta share it clap.gif thank you for your very kind comment..... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    I Like Dirt Bikes Too
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Howdy Skippy... gotta love those mini bikes! :D
    I've never been to that Bike track before, have driven past it plenty of times but never stopped to see what they actually did, so last week I decided I'd stop and go see what they did ........... I stayed there for quite some time, took a bunch of pictures and emailed the local club some to put on their website.

I had a great time....... I hope to be allowed on the track next meeting.

Thank you for your comment......... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    Thanks Ian
    ian408 wrote:
    Hi Skippy!

Nice work with 70-200!

Ian
    I am still very much in Learner Mode with this new gear, but I am loving every minute of it............... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    Yep Young Riders
    GSPeP wrote:
    Great pictures thumb.gif

You should see the women ride, I had to be told they were women, boy can they ride!!!! and some of those young riders are just amazing to watch.

Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    Well Hi There Steve :)
    Awwwwww your too kind with your comment *blush * blush*
    The Canon 20D is just amazing, I am really quite stunned with how it is performing, and I am smiling bigtime at the results.

My Canon 50mm 1.4 just arrived late Thursday, I gave it a try at night on my way home from work, and I gave it a try tonight at the Relay For Life Rally, then also on the way home I drove through town and stopped and took some hand held shots in the street.........I havent had a chance to really look at them yet, its late and I have to get up to go to work early in the morning.

I feel more comfortable with the gear even now, just one week later, it feels good in your hands, and it focuses very fast indeed.

I find the thing I do most is forget that I have IS on when panning, time will fix this habit :)

Steve........ I planned some special plants late last year that attract butterflies they are a Milk Weed that the Monarc Butterfly does it's entire life cycle on......the plant is now big enough to support a few catapillars, so hopefully this might just happen for the next season ......whenever that is??

I have 5 full months up my sleeve before my trip to America, and I am really happy that the equipment is performing so well, no dramas, and what amazes me the most is there is hardly any post processing required at all :)
    Now this I like very very much :)

Thanks for comment Steve .......I am going to look into all kinds of things with my new toys :) ..... Skippy (Australia)
    Welcome Skippy wave.gif It's great to have you hereclap.gif

I don't know why you are soooooo concerned that you're going to have trouble duplicating your excellent results, just cuz you got a new camera. You've always known how to shoot, and this camera is going to help you more than any other camera you've owned nod.gif

I realize that the shots above were probably "practice shots" and they still came out super thumb.gif I really can't wait to see what you and the 20D can do on macro shots.

Anyhow, big heads or not (Laughing.gif @ Erik), these are really nice action shots thumb.gif I have a feeling you are going to be extremely happy with this camera. Plus, it looks like you will be very comfortable shooting with it by the time you leave for your "roadtrip".

Thanks for sharing and it's good to see another old friend here :):

Steve

• Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    Thank you David
    David_S85 wrote:
    Hey Skippy! Good to see you over here on this forum. Lots of us STF'ers and DPR people here. wave.gif Can't wait to see all the good work you'll do with your new gear. While the 70-200 IS L is probably not the best for spider macro's, I think you'll enjoy the reach for other subjects, like you posted above.
    Hi David........ I brought three lenses all up,
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro
    Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM

Tried to cover all my bases so I could do the things I like to do straight off and not wish I had this lens or that lens when I actual brought my Canon 20D.

However.......... I think I have the "LENS BUG" hehehehe, I think I am wanting already....yup just one week into the world of DSLR, I think I've been bit!

I need to find myself some good bugs to photograph, but they are not easily come by where I live for some reason...... hope to get some butterflies soon.
    Thanks for your comment and welcome....... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Hey Skippy! - VERY COOL IMAGES!!!!!! Looks like you've masterd the cam in less than a week - cant wait to see your others......

troy

Skippy wrote:

IMG_0353Ed800web1.jpg

IMG_0347Ed1_filtered.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Heyyyyyy Troy :)
    windoze wrote:
    Hey Skippy! - VERY COOL IMAGES!!!!!! Looks like you've masterd the cam in less than a week - cant wait to see your others......

troy

Ohhhhhhhh I havn't mastered it, but I'm trying hard to hehehe :)
    Having a ball trying too........ I have Tuesday off and thought I might go to the Werribee Zoo for the day weather permitting.....at the moment we are back into Winter.....so fingers crossed the weather will pick up.

I love this gear Troy, I really do, it performs so well, I can't stop grinnin' ha ha ha ha ha rolleyes1.gif I got my Canon 50mm 1.4 the other day and gave that a whirl, with wonderful results.......boy this trip to USA is gonna have me sorting out images for months after I get back :D

Now that I have finally figured out how to use "DGRIN" I will post more often.
    Take Care Troy........ Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Hi There Humungus :)
    Humungus wrote:
    G'day skippy...thanks for joining, we need more convicts on the board.
    Took me ages to figure out how to use this, too use to Dpreview......well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it mwink.gif

Well us Ozzie are a rare breed I think, but they like us hehehe, so I guess that's a good thing hu rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I'll be visiting more often now that I figured it out....... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Well Hi there Harry :)
    Don't those Time Zone's suck hehehe........
    Truth be known I had no idea how to post, so I came in a couple of times, figured out how to send a private message to Andy, and that was about as far as I got .........forgive me, I'm Ozzie 11doh.gif

Well I will be playing here more often, now that I know how to play clap.gif
    Take Care Harry.......... Skippy (Australia)
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Skippy,

Welcome, I'm glad you found your way over here. I think you will like it here.
    Very nice pics BTW.thumb.gif

Harry

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Take Care Troy........ Skippy (Australia)
    eek7.gif For some odd reason i thought you were a chick.

Now i feel somewhat .................grubby

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

'gus

skippy's a babe-raham lincoln! nod.gif
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Last Time I looked I was a Chick
    Ummmmm unless of course you know something that I don't??? rolleyes1.gif
    People get confused with my Nickname....... I like to use it because I don't get hit on because they think I am a guy mwink.gif

Andy will set ya straight, and Harry, and Windoze (Troy) and quite a few others.

Don't worry you haven't offened me, people who don't know me always think I'm a guy ......... Skippy (Australia) doodess thumb.gif
    Humungus wrote:

Now i feel somewhat .................grubby