Strange noise inside Nikon D80 body (maybe D70 and others too)

J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited October 20, 2007 in Cameras
I've had a Nikon D80 for almost a year now and recently heard what sounds like a tiny loose screw rolling around inside the body. I never heard it before and everything seems normal, so far. Nikon checked it out and they said it's normal; just the pendulum stabilizing when the camera orients itself from portrait to panoramic shooting style. But the noise occurs when I have it in any orientation and I just move the camera a bit and wiggle it close to my ear. What bothers me is that I never heard until recently. Why would it come up now? Most importantly, should I be worried about this sound? A local Ritz Camera shop never heard it and don't hear it in any of their cameras, including one of the manager's own D200. Anybody else out there had this occur for them? :scratch
John "J.T."
http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams

Comments

• RedTownCatsRedTownCats Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 15, 2007
    It is (probably) the ball switch that tells the camera whether it is in portrait or landscape.
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    J.T. wrote:
    I've had a Nikon D80 for almost a year now and recently heard what sounds like a tiny loose screw rolling around inside the body. I never heard it before and everything seems normal, so far. Nikon checked it out and they said it's normal; just the pendulum stabilizing when the camera orients itself from portrait to panoramic shooting style. But the noise occurs when I have it in any orientation and I just move the camera a bit and wiggle it close to my ear. What bothers me is that I never heard until recently. Why would it come up now? Most importantly, should I be worried about this sound? A local Ritz Camera shop never heard it and don't hear it in any of their cameras, including one of the manager's own D200. Anybody else out there had this occur for them? headscratch.gif

I've had my D50 for a year now, and i hear the same thing...very good description of the sound, BTW! Haven't had a problem with the body yet!
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Been using a D70 for about 4 years now and have had that noise since the beginning. No probs at all. Didn't know what it was though, but now I do! Thanks.:D
  • J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Someone else from Nikon expained it a little better to me. It is perfectly normal, but not all Nikons have this sound. It's a ball bearing that moves around inside and tells the camera whether it is in portrait or landscape mode, and not a pendulum per se. I guess it has always been there, just never been able to hear it. Maybe Nikon should put a little side note in their Nikon user manuals because it seems that Nikon gets a lot of worried owners calling them too.
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    it could also be the hinge of the pop up flash, i hear the 'rattling' rolleyes1.gif when i shake my 400d around.
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com