Options

I need some understanding??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grinsBournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
edited October 16, 2007 in Technique
This weekend was what I would call my first big test with my new camera (400D should you ask), most of these were action type shots on a dull overcast, grey day (this is what I mainly got the camera for). I had set the mode dial to the "P" setting and was using a Canon EF 55-200 lense. Now I know (at least I think) that the higher the ISO the grainer the shot and I (think again) know the aperture setting (the F number) has an effect as to what is actually in focus (based on the centre of area of focus moving out to the wider area.

Now many of the pictures I took came out very grainy looking including the area in focus (or at least what I focussed on). To give you some idea most of the pictures the camera selected an ISO of 400, Aperture F10, exposure 1/400s Can somebody give me a quick run down (ISO v Aperture v Exposure v exposure ) so I have a better understanding of what my pictures are telling (Dummies guide 20 words or less :rolleyes )

I don't want to post a picture at the moment until I have an idea what I am looking at and what has not gone to plan.

Tim

Comments

• Options
    rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Hi Tim,

Basically, they work as follows:

ISO adjusts the sensitivity of the sensor. The higher it is, the brighter the exposure, but also the more noise. 400 shouldn't cause any noticable grain though.

Shutter speed is just how long the shutter is open. The slower it is, the more blur you're going to get from moving objects. 400 is generally pretty good, but if you're shotting action shots as you say, it might not be fast enough to "freeze" the action.

Aperature controls the size of the opening in the lens. The lower the number (f1.8, for instance), the bigger the opening. This means that more light will get in, but less of the field of view (front to back) will be in focus. f/10 should keep most of your field of view in focus, so that probably isn't causing your problems either.

As much as you might not want to post until you know what's going on, it's going to be really hard for people to help you out without being able to see exactly what you're talking about. We're all here to learn and people certainly don't expect you to only post perfect images! If you show us what you're talking about, we can help a lot more!
  • Options
    CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    rustic wrote:
    As much as you might not want to post until you know what's going on, it's going to be really hard for people to help you out without being able to see exactly what you're talking about. We're all here to learn and people certainly don't expect you to only post perfect images! If you show us what you're talking about, we can help a lot more!

15524779-Ti.gif

Post them!
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    rustic wrote:
    Aperature controls the size of the opening in the lens. The lower the number (f1.8, for instance), the bigger the opening.
    15524779-Ti.gif w/ Rustic.

The whole fstop thing can seem a bit counter-intuative at first. If your a math type just remember the fstop is a ratio.
    f1.8 = 1:1.8
    f10 = 1:10

This post will either help of thoroughly confuse you..mwink.gif

-Jon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    OK here are two pics from the weekend, all I have done is to save them as .jpg (did not think anybody would want to view a 10mb raw image)

http://www.windfreaks.co.uk/myimages/test2.jpg

http://www.windfreaks.co.uk/myimages/test.jpg

(I know the second one is a little far away)

If anybody wondering it is Kite flying event

Tim
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Here's my take on it, looking at pic 1 the noise (or 'grain') seems more than I would have expected for ISO 400, but that it just a quick eyeball opinion. Having said that, there doesn't seem to be much wrong with the image at all. AFAIK, the camera won't add any sharpening to the RAW image (other than some in-built basic process) so you will need to do so post-process. Nothing wrong with that - digital images love to be sharpened mwink.gif

Were you shooting hand-held and using the upper focal length of the lens? These can easily lead to less sharp images. I have a ton of them rolleyes1.gif

Also, remember that not all lenses are created equal.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    I took a quick look at the image, and my first thought is that they're soft. I did a quick search on the lens that you use, and it's not known to be a tack sharp and it behaves much better with the shorter focal length. It's described to be an adequate performer.

I suggest that you shoot in RAW and try to improve the images in post... What were you expecting?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    I opened the image in CS2 and did some basic adjustments, levels, curves, and sharpening.

The jpg has some blown highlights on the shirt so you may want to adjust your exposure in raw.

The image is not that bad sharpness wise. Though it could have been a tad sharper, this should print well at 8 x 10.

I could post an edit if you like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Thanks guys, to answer aktse question what was I expecting, not sure! I guess I was expecting something a little sharper but hey this is my first dslr and this my first real attempt at some action shots so I guess I am a couple of notches up from the start on the learning curve.

Thanks

Tim
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Basically you need light to photograph & you had very little.

There are all sorts of light...from almost none to blinding. This light however MUST be able to highlight the subject in a way that compliments it. If this does not happen then you get images that lack contrast.

Get those guys up close with late afternoon or morning sun on them & you will really see the difference. Thats a great sport to learn on...you can get close & there is plenty of action.