Last minute advice for a newbie?

ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited October 15, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
The shots were pretty last minute, had creative block until I had a dinner to go to and had to hurry. I was determined to get one in this round tho....so here are my three choices....I have one entered as a place holder in case I'm not home from the dinner in time.

If you had to choose, which one and why, and how could it be better?

208199630-L-1.jpg

208205766-L.jpg

208206905-L.jpg

Thanks for you input!
Heather
www.heatherdunnphotography.com
My Blog My Facebook Page
GIVING BACK - How will you give?
"I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson

Comments

• HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Well....
    Don't see much of the theme in any of these.

Jon
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    number one. The image you have entered, is my favorite,

I am interpreting your take on it as smooth, the smooth surface of the metal.
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Would agree...
    sherstone wrote:
    number one. The image you have entered, is my favorite,

I am interpreting your take on it as smooth, the smooth surface of the metal.

That #1 is the most pleasing shot.

I can sort of the difference between the nice flute and the old. Makes me rethink my first statement.

Jon
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    I really like #3, personally. But I'm a sucker for leading lines. :D The lighting also grabs me more in this one than it does in #1. (Not a big fan of #2.)
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    I have to say I like #3 and its angles...and then I like #1...

good luck with whichever you choose!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    I take it that you're trying to express the smoothness of the sound of the flute, not just the metal.. (Hoping you're not thinking craggy!)

For me the angles in #2 don't work. #3 doesn't work for me because the selective focus confuses the message by drawing me to the middle flute.

Really, neither of them strongly convey a feeling of "smooth" to me. Without your explanation of what each of them are, I wouldn't know anything other than that they were three flutes, one a good bit older than the other two.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I take it that you're trying to express the smoothness of the sound of the flute, not just the metal.. (Hoping you're not thinking craggy!)

Sure......mwink.gif Meant the double meaning all along....(fingers crossed behind my back)

Now that I have a few minutes to really look at them, I think I'll go with #3. I think the lighting in it shows off the "smooth" of the metal in the newer flutes a bit better than the other shots do. But I think #1 shows the contrast between flutes better.

With interpreting the theme, better to stick with one of the extremes than try to show a contrast between them? Choose "smooth" and run with it? verses trying to show the contrast between the "smooth" of the newer flutes and the "craggy" of the well beyond it's prime flute?

Thanks for all the input. This is a great forum for learning and improving my skills!
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    I definitely like number #1 the best. Something about all 3 instruments not laying in a straight line and all being in focus does it for me.

Max
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses