Options

A Trip to Blacktail Rocks, Chugach Range, Alaska

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited November 2, 2007 in Journeys
Hello!

So I havn't actually had time to get out and do any hiking with all the stinking schoolwork I have had on my plate lately. Its really been a bummer and unless I get out often I start to get a bit nutty! So when I called my friend Shasta who was feeling a bit on the lazy side today said "we could watch a movie" I had to tell her sorry no can do. There's no way im skipping out on all my schoolwork and a beautiful day to watch a movie! So being the gal that she is she grunted and said "Okay lets go hiking!"

We drove out to Eagle River and although I had only been up to the trailhead for this peak once about 4 years ago I managed to meander my way up to the roads without taking a wrong turn and ending right up at the trailhead. It gets started pretty high up so we didn't have to hike up long. After a bit over 1000ft of elevation we were ontop of Baldy a little bump on the ridge to Blacktail Rocks. The weather was still holding beautiful and the clouds were staying at bay. Shasta brought her tennis shoes only today and never even let out a sigh when she saw the snow coming a bit over halfway down the peak. The trail along the ridge is very pleasant and easy to follow as it makes its way up the first rocky outcropping known as Blacktail Rocks.
208262422-L.jpg

We took our time and took a few breaks along the ridge. It was such a beautiful day it was hard to rush it. Shasta flashes me a smile.
208262793-L.jpg

We looked across the valleys and could see Mile High Saddle with a trail of water down the middle. The sun weeped through the clouds as though it was telling us which pages of a book to read, look over here and you will not be disappointed. The snow peaks of Mt. Gordon Lyon and Mt. Rendezvous were off in the distance.

208257239-L.jpg

We finally got ourselves into the motion of moving again and headed up the ridge toward the summit. The snow was hard at first but then we began to sink in a bit. It wasn't deep but with only sneakers it does tend to get your socks wet quick. There were times I would wonder if Shasta was getting upset I led her into the snow!

208257677-L.jpg

Such questions shouldn't be wondered with Shasta however, as she looked up and me and said "You always pick the best routes. Great choice!". From my perspective it helps even more so to have great company.

208258281-L.jpg

Summits in Alaska never seem to disappoint. Even just another bump in a ridge of mountains allows its own views along the valleys. Larger peaks off in the distance and the clouds forming in weird ways. The clouds on the left would be a sign of things to come.

208258699-L.jpg

Shasta happy as she looks above the clouds. Its easy to call it home.
208259039-L.jpg

Although late in the year the fall colors are still a bit visible down in the valley below.
208259436-L.jpg

The Knik Arm swerving through fields of yellow trees.
208260683-L.jpg

Never leaving a summit without a smile is something I think everyone should aim for. I would be tuff to take this smile off her.
208261721-L.jpg

On the way back down the peak the clouds rolled in very quickly. We had only gone a mile or so before it was snowing on us and halfway down the ridge we had some good size flakes coming down. Blacktail Rocks summit was no longer visible. What do you do when the snow starts to fall? Well you can get frustrated that now you have to hike in the falling snow...or you can exact your revenge on the snowflakes, one at a time!!

208261232-L.jpg

We finished up the hike back down the car and felt great. 8 miles and who knows how long, we didnt even bring a clock. We left, had dinner at TapRoot Cafe and another great day. Studying seems easier now...atleast it would be if I wasn't writing this trip report instead!

Comments

• Options
    jdmphotojdmphoto Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Great job telling the story and beautiful pictures to go with itclap.gif
    Shasta has a great smile too.
    See my photo's athttp://jdmphoto.smugmug.com/

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Awesome stuff Kelsey, love the shots! Nice work getting Shasta out! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 15, 2007
    dude, your neighborhood is sooo ugly! lol3.gifthumb.gif

208259039-Th.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    LOVE that one of Shasta above the clouds! Great stuff! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    dude, your neighborhood is sooo ugly! lol3.gifthumb.gif

208259039-Th.jpg

Heh ya. Im excited about the snow pictures. I am going to have to get out and take some pictures of Alpine Mountaineering!
    Hopefully everything makes it back in one piece. ;)
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Very good stuff. Such a great opportunity. She looks like she is having a blast !! :D
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Nice series. I like the "above the clouds" shot the best.
  • Options
    tnoisawtnoisaw Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Great pics. They make me miss Alaska. I spent twelve years in Anchorage. I use to do Flattop Mountain once per week to get my time under thirty minutes fro the parking area. It's cool to camp on Flattop too.
  • Options
    mANVILmANVIL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Wow...you're incredibly lucky to have something like this in your backyard. I like the writeup too, it gives the pictures some personal flavor and makes the set overall more enjoyable. It tells a story rather than simply saying "here, look, pictures".

A young adventurous woman who is also pleasing to the eye/camera makes any trip that much better! mwink.gif
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    loved it!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341