Emergency Maintenance 10/14

SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
edited October 15, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hey folks, we will be undergoing emergency maintenance shortly to roll out some very cool new stuff. The site should be in read-only mode and we don't yet have an ETA on when it will be back to normal.

Sorry that we couldn't make our regularly scheduled maintenance window!
SmugMug Product Manager

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 15, 2007
    bump
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited October 15, 2007
    bump...here we go :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Aw man... *just* as I was about to get my comments->keyword script finished up. Or well, closer.

Huh? An emergency maintenance for new features? With no ETA?

C'mon, throw us a bone. Just give me a ballpark figure to let me know if I should just go to bed now (2am localtime) or futz around for 30 minutes.
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 15, 2007
    darryl wrote:
    Aw man... *just* as I was about to get my comments->keyword script finished up. Or well, closer.

Huh? An emergency maintenance for new features? With no ETA?

C'mon, throw us a bone. Just give me a ballpark figure to let me know if I should just go to bed now (2am localtime) or futz around for 30 minutes.

I wouldn't go to bed just yet. mwink.gif
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    I wouldn't go to bed just yet. mwink.gif

Rock on!
    edited October 15, 2007
    We are back up and running now, by the way. The site is chugging along a bit slowly at the moment, but it should get up to speed soon.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Not sure if this has anything to do with the maintenance but I'm noticing two issues tonight.

1) Java uploader not working. It acts as if it uploads, but nothing appears in the gallery or upload log. I had to use old faithful to get the photo uploaded.

2) The watermark added to this newly uploaded photo is very, very small compared to all of the other photos I've uploaded.

The photo in question is in a private gallery, but Smugmug staff should be able to view it: http://www.smugmug.com/photos/208456700-L.jpg
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited October 15, 2007
    G'day Bill,

Sorry about the inconvenience, the issue with the java uploader should be fixed now.

In regard to the watermark, that's a side effect of our new image sizes...you will need to generate a new larger watermark image to resolve this issue.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Hmm gonna have to play with this for a bit - I see the 'large' and auto ' sizes are both working at the same time ( i.e. can't click one or the other when one is active) but wonder how to link URls now as It was hard enough for me to rmeember before (shortage of grey cells)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited October 15, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    Hmm gonna have to play with this for a bit - I see the 'large' and auto ' sizes are both working at the same time ( i.e. can't click one or the other when one is active) but wonder how to link URls now as It was hard enough for me to rmeember before (shortage of grey cells)

Auto is great for linking. Basically it chooses the correct size for your screen resolution. Right now I am on dual 24" monitors. I like seeing photos very large. But if I want to send a link to a friend who might have a smaller monitor, I don't want to send them a link to a massive photo and make them scroll to see it all. If I send them the link to auto, it chooses for me.

For example, http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559#131487110-A-LB opens for me in X2Large and fills most of my screen.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Way cool! thumb.gif
  • jacyjoypalsjacyjoypals Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    What happened to the photos on subs
    Hi, perhaps I missed a post somewhere but since the changes, many of my sub-galleries do not show the feature photo --- just a little small square dot? I have changed photos, resaved, etc. It is not affecting my passworded galleries but it is the open galleries? ???
    Thanks

example: http://www.joypals.smugmug.com/Music/381246
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Hi, perhaps I missed a post somewhere but since the changes, many of my sub-galleries do not show the feature photo --- just a little small square dot? I have changed photos, resaved, etc. It is not affecting my passworded galleries but it is the open galleries? ???
    Thanks

example: http://www.joypals.smugmug.com/Music/381246
    Hm, they are working fine for me - and not related to our maint., btw... can you clear your browser's cache (temp files) close and restart your browser? ear.gif
    edited October 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hm, they are working fine for me - and not related to our maint., btw... can you clear your browser's cache (temp files) close and restart your browser? ear.gif

Thanks but that is not the problem here. Still can't view and cache is clean, etc. It worked fine yesterday but I am happy to know it is not the maintenance or something I have missed. I have tried everything and still no success. It is interesting I see all of the subs for the passworded galleries but none of the non-passworded. I'll try passwording the others and see what happens. Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: If I password, I can see the photos, if public, I cannot. I am stumped! Anyone that can help unstump, it would be greatly appreciated!
    p.s. It is not my popup blockers, etc. I am a geek.
  • Keith McKaneKeith McKane Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Missing Gallery Thumbs! - ME TOO
    Thanks but that is not the problem here. Still can't view and cache is clean, etc. It worked fine yesterday but I am happy to know it is not the maintenance or something I have missed. I have tried everything and still no success. It is interesting I see all of the subs for the passworded galleries but none of the non-passworded. I'll try passwording the others and see what happens. Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: If I password, I can see the photos, if public, I cannot. I am stumped! Anyone that can help unstump, it would be greatly appreciated!
    p.s. It is not my popup blockers, etc. I am a geek.

I'm having the same problem..stumped... hmmm

here http://keithmckane.smugmug.com/Happenings/121203

and here...

http://keithmckane.smugmug.com/Happenings/359944

Welcome any thoughts or ideas!

Thanks

Keith
    edited October 15, 2007

I would suggest posting what browser and operating system you are using.

I suspect the browser is Internet Explorer as I can see your gallery thumbnails with Firefox. When I use IE, I can duplicate your issue, only small empty boxes showing.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Keith, Jacy,

Do you have a photo featured for that gallery? Can you unfeature it and see if that helps?

Log in, go to the gallery, look in 'photo tools' menu and select unfeature photo.

let me know, please? ear.gif
    edited October 15, 2007
    It does not matter what browser I am using because the sub-directories photos show up in those same galleries if I make them passworded. If I remove the password, the pictures disappear again to a little dot. Whether or not it is IE or another browser or Vista or XP, it is the same.
    edited October 15, 2007
    I'm having the same problem..stumped... hmmm

here http://keithmckane.smugmug.com/Happenings/121203

and here...

http://keithmckane.smugmug.com/Happenings/359944

Welcome any thoughts or ideas!

Thanks

Keith

Hey Keith. Sorry about the difficulties. This was a bug with featured photos and internet explorer. I went ahead and unfeatured photos in those three galleries and they should show up fine now. When we get a fix for this, I'll post here again.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited October 15, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Sorry about the inconvenience, the issue with the java uploader should be fixed now.

Just tested. Confirmed it's working again. Thanks.
    devbobo wrote:
    In regard to the watermark, that's a side effect of our new image sizes...you will need to generate a new larger watermark image to resolve this issue.

Ouch.

I created my watermarks by following the watermarking tutorial. Is that tutorial going to be updated to reflect this change so we know what to do to get our watermarks sizing correctly with the new changes?

Also what effect will these changes have on existing photos? Do we need to go into each gallery and re-watermark the photos with the new watermark?
    edited October 15, 2007
    It does not matter what browser I am using because the sub-directories photos show up in those same galleries if I make them passworded. If I remove the password, the pictures disappear again to a little dot. Whether or not it is IE or another browser or Vista or XP, it is the same.

It actually is the same bug Keith encountered. The thumbnails show up fine in every browser I tried except IE. Passwording them or removing the featured photo fixes it. I'll go ahead and remove your featured photos for the time being there as well.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we will fix the bug as soon as possible.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited October 15, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    It actually is the same bug Keith encountered. The thumbnails show up fine in every browser I tried except IE. Passwording them or removing the featured photo fixes it. I'll go ahead and remove your featured photos for the time being there as well.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we will fix the bug as soon as possible.
    Thanks much!! I thought I was a little crazy but then tried three different computers with varying browsers and had other folks in different parts of the country try and they had the same result. Glad it is not another problem on my end, which makes the hair stand on end! Thanks for your help!clap.gif