Options

Three Hour Tour

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited October 16, 2007 in Journeys
Man, finding someone with the time to go hiking is tough sometimes. Me and Tracy dug through all our friends and finally found two who were willing to head out to the mountains with us. We only had a small time window on Friday to do this, so we chose a quick hike up Lazy Mountain, above Palmer, AK. Unfortunately, as is typical of such events, one partner bailed and left us with three, but we had a great time anyway, even if it was short.

We started out in the early afternoon on a rather dismal Friday, with glacier dust from the Matanuska filling the whole valley. Our chosen peak lies between the two glacier valleys that the wind blows down, though, and we were nicely sheltered, with barely a light breeze floating around, and no dust either!

With temperatures forever roaming slightly above freezing, dewdrops have a rough time trying to evaporate.
071012-01.jpg

My friend Dave is 56 years old, or so. He makes it a point to get out and hike a mountain at least once or twice a week. He can always be relied on as a hiking partner, even if he doesn't do any technical climbing.:D
071012-03.jpg

Dave pioneered this trail, eschewing the popular main route directly up Lazy in favor of a more leisurely route up a ridgeline. He attacked it alone over a span of a year or two with cutting tools, stomping down grass and making a way, until gradually others discovered the route and began using it, thus making it well established. The peak formerly known as Byers reigns in the background (now it's Matanuska Peak)
071012-04.jpg

Tracy still doesn't like the camera. I'm working on that, and might just be working on that for the rest of our lives. :rofl
071012-07.jpg

Dave is an awesome individual, brilliant and quick-witted, and with the wisdom to back his years, but you might not realize it if you just walk through his checkout aisle at the local grocery store. I snapped a couple of him at home in one of his favorite places.
071012-08.jpg

071012-09.jpg

071012-11.jpg

In this shot you can see the vague line of glacial dust blowing out of the Matanuska Glacier Valley on the right, and drifting into the rest of the world. Dave's house and workplace are vaguely visible behind him in the small town of Palmer, AK.
071012-10.jpg

That's three hours in the mountains on the edge of Alaskan civilization. The adventures with my car's battery that made us two hours late for the rest of the evening were undocumented. :rofl Hope you enjoyed the hike!
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Nice pics John. I like the age look of your freinds pack there. Reminds me of yours!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    My brother and sister-in-law live up Lazy Mountain and work in Palmer, so I always enjoy seeing your Alaskan pics, especially in their stomping grounds!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Very nice shots of your friend Dave (braving the cool temps with a short-sleeve t-shirt!!! eek7.gif ) Perhaps you can sneak in some shots of Tracy if you shoot from the hip when she's not paying attention. Get some good shots of her and maybe she will loosen up!!! mwink.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 15, 2007
    Nice. So when's the wedding and do you need a shooter :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    ian408 wrote:

Hahaha, why whatever are you talking about?

I'll let you know if/when. :Drolleyes1.gif

071012-12.jpg
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Cool shots, i quite like these:
    coldclimb wrote:
    071012-07.jpg

071012-08.jpg
    Ian408 wrote:
    lol3.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 16, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    Hahaha, why whatever are you talking about?

I'll let you know if/when. :Drolleyes1.gif
    Hahaha! I thnk when not if :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    I think this shot is sweeter because she is being shy and smiling. thumb.gif

071012-07.jpg