Senior Portrait...

rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin...Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
edited October 17, 2007 in People
Couple of pics from my shoot today. I'll post more as I process them.

(posted some more of her pics here)

208400097-L.jpg

209030690-L.jpg
Randy
«1

Comments

  • 1pocket1pocket Forever a student... Posts: 298Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    I love what you have done with your lighting of her face and hair. Great catch lights, too.
    Nice background in the color shot, but not distracting, imho.
    A little too dim at her neck line, maybe -- that's about all I can criticize -- beautiful girl like that, that area is probably an asset...
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

    Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • adpaceadpace Beginner Posts: 260Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Gorgeous shots!!
  • thejumpmaster68thejumpmaster68 Big grins Posts: 25Registered Users Big grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Nice shots. The first one is my favorite.
    Will Marshall
    Canon EOS Rebel XT
    Canon EOS 30D
    Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L
  • NachoNacho Betwixt & Bewitched Posts: 212Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    These are totally cool shots! It does not hurt to have such a beautiful subject, but truly the BW conversion looks very nice and smooth, and the expression in #1 is quite captivating. Thanks for sharing. Cool shots. I need to practice getting shots like these!

    gassho,

    N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Major grins Posts: 1,322Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    i cant put the finger on it but # 2 attracts me :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Major grins Posts: 441Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    I really love the background on #1. The foreground isn't so bad either :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

    Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    1pocket wrote:
    I love what you have done with your lighting of her face and hair. Great catch lights, too.
    Nice background in the color shot, but not distracting, imho.
    A little too dim at her neck line, maybe -- that's about all I can criticize -- beautiful girl like that, that area is probably an asset...

    Thanks pocket!
    Randy
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    adpace wrote:
    Gorgeous shots!!

    Thank you adpace, I appreciate it.
    Randy
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Nice shots. The first one is my favorite.


    Preciate it... thank's for looking
    Randy
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Nacho wrote:
    These are totally cool shots! It does not hurt to have such a beautiful subject, but truly the BW conversion looks very nice and smooth, and the expression in #1 is quite captivating. Thanks for sharing. Cool shots. I need to practice getting shots like these!

    gassho,

    N


    Thanks Nacho, and thumb.gif on the subject.
    Randy
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    i cant put the finger on it but # 2 attracts me :D

    Thanks Chris, sounds like I did my job right!
    Randy
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    I really love the background on #1. The foreground isn't so bad either :)


    thumb.gif Thanks
    Randy
  • SystemSystem Posts: 8,190Registered Users moderator
    edited October 15, 2007
    great pics and love the bw-
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    great pics and love the bw-


    Thanks George, that means a lot. Love your work.
    Randy
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Grinning...and bearing it Posts: 4,761Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    I also think the lighting, poses. and BG are nice in both, but the post processing seems to be a bit heavy handed. There is very little if any skin texture left, and the first shot is WAY red. I think you could lighten up some on the skin treatment, preserve some texture and still achieve the "glamour" look. The red needs to be toned down considerably. There is a good tutorial on skin tones here:

    http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone


    For the skin texture, you could use the original and this version each as a seperate layer and then adjust opacity to bring enough of the original through to lose the clay-mation look. Or....set one as a mask and paint the effect in selectively.

    I hope this is helpful crtique!!

    Thanks for sharing!!
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I also think the lighting, poses. and BG are nice in both, but the post processing seems to be a bit heavy handed. There is very little if any skin texture left, and the first shot is WAY red. I think you could lighten up some on the skin treatment, preserve some texture and still achieve the "glamour" look. The red needs to be toned down considerably. There is a good tutorial on skin tones here:

    http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone


    For the skin texture, you could use the original and this version each as a seperate layer and then adjust opacity to bring enough of the original through to lose the clay-mation look. Or....set one as a mask and paint the effect in selectively.

    I hope this is helpful crtique!!


    Thanks for sharing!!


    Thanks for looking...

    Let's just say, this is the way I want them to look. Not looking for accurate skin tone here, I'm well aware of how to do that... I've provided that on some of the other shots. YMMV thumb.gif
    Randy
  • nvisiblephotonvisiblephoto N*Visible Photography Posts: 87Registered Users Big grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Great pics, good lighting. The only thing I notice is a little blotchiness on the forehead that could be smoothed out.
    Unique. Artistic. Unconventional.
    http://www.NVisiblePhoto.com
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Great pics, good lighting. The only thing I notice is a little blotchiness on the forehead that could be smoothed out.


    Yep, your right... (BTW, that's shadows from her hair, but needed to be removed. I have now removed them.)

    Guess I'm just tired and didn't spend tons of time on the pics to make them perfect. Just got back in town and wanted to post them.


    Thanks for looking and your comments.
    Randy
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Lovin' It Posts: 6,524Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    I absolutely love that B&W image. That has huge impact. I think the lady will love it as well - don't know about the mother though, they tend to be a little more traditional in their likes. But, wow, love that B&W image!
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    I absolutely love that B&W image. That has huge impact. I think the lady will love it as well - don't know about the mother though, they tend to be a little more traditional in their likes. But, wow, love that B&W image!

    Thanks Scott,

    That means a lot coming from you.


    I wanted a picture that was just her. No distractions, total her...


    I'm pleased with the image and am also pleased that it comes across to you as well.

    Thanks again for the compliment.
    Randy
  • urbanariesurbanaries hoosier grins Posts: 2,690Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Awesome shots. I love the use of light in the first one. The bg and colors work really, REALLY well. If I were pressed for a critique I'd say the smoothing under her eyes in the first one looks a little fake, IMO. In addition to her physical appearance, she seems to have the skill of a model in her ease in front of the camera, posing and expressions. Isn't that so much fun to work with!?

    Also really like the BW image, it's phenomenal!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Awesome shots. I love the use of light in the first one. The bg and colors work really, REALLY well. If I were pressed for a critique I'd say the smoothing under her eyes in the first one looks a little fake, IMO. In addition to her physical appearance, she seems to have the skill of a model in her ease in front of the camera, posing and expressions. Isn't that so much fun to work with!?

    Also really like the BW image, it's phenomenal!!!


    Thank you so much for the kind words.

    As to the smoothing under her eyes, we'll have to blame mother nature on that one. rolleyes1.gif I have applied some overall PP, but no spot smoothing anywhere. I didn't know a human could have as perfect of skin as this girl has.

    Very perceptive of you thumb.gif -- she has been in pageants.
    Randy
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    There seems to be some question about skin smoothing on the first picture, "clay-mation look", so here's a link to the original size file.

    Like I said, VERY smooth skin thumb.gif
    Randy
  • DaddyODaddyO Grins In Progress Posts: 4,466Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Pretty young lady. Every photo is really nice. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • nvisiblephotonvisiblephoto N*Visible Photography Posts: 87Registered Users Big grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    There seems to be some question about skin smoothing on the first picture, "clay-mation look", so here's a link to the original size file.

    Like I said, VERY smooth skin thumb.gif

    Yep, I think it might be her makeup that causing it to be uneven looking. There's just a little bit of red there.
    Unique. Artistic. Unconventional.
    http://www.NVisiblePhoto.com
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Thanks for taking the time to look and for your comments. clap.gif
    Randy
  • zoomerzoomer Major grins Posts: 3,688Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
  • rwellsrwells Let the shootin' begin... Posts: 6,084Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    zoomer wrote:
    Very pretty girl.
    Well done photos, I bet she loves them!!


    Thanks zoomer,

    It's pretty hard to mess up on a subject that looks like her :D
    Randy
  • Shane422Shane422 Major grins Posts: 460Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Wow!!!
  • nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Major grins Posts: 549Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    I figured it out...she looks like Allie Lauder! (from Heros).
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.