Is it true?

W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
edited October 15, 2007 in SmugMug Support
... that neither photo nor gallery keywords 'work' for journal-type galleries? It seems that way to me. Why is this?

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    ... that neither photo nor gallery keywords 'work' for journal-type galleries? It seems that way to me. Why is this?
    What do you mean "works"? headscratch.gif

It shouldn't be any different from other galleries. The only difference is that the photo keywords are not visible. Doesn't mean they are not there though.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    What do you mean "works"? headscratch.gif

It shouldn't be any different from other galleries. The only difference is that the photo keywords are not visible. Doesn't mean they are not there though.
    I have a gallery I operate as a Journal-type as a blog. I changed it to a SmugMug-type gallery to keyword the images, then back to a Journal but the keywords didn't show. Changed it to SmugMug and they instantly appeared. Changed it back, and they disappeared again - immediately!

And as a Journal-type gallery, I can't search and find my blog. Got me beat! headscratch.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    I have a gallery I operate as a Journal-type as a blog. I changed it to a SmugMug-type gallery to keyword the images, then back to a Journal but the keywords didn't show. Changed it to SmugMug and they instantly appeared. Changed it back, and they disappeared again - immediately!

And as a Journal-type gallery, I can't search and find my blog. Got me beat! headscratch.gif
    The keywords do not show on Journal style pages but they are still there, and can be searched.

They can be searched, unless you set your gallery settings like you have done:
    customize_gallery_-_powered_by_smugmug-20071015-101157.jpg

With these settings, your gallery can not be found. You need to change the Hello World/Smuggers settings for that thumb.gif
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 15, 2007
    We view the journal style as a way to tell a story through photos and captions. There simply isn't a place for keywords in there that wouldn't ruin the look and feel of it. So we hide them in journal style. They exist and are still directly tied to the photos, but are not visible until the style is changed.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited October 15, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    With these settings, your gallery can not be found. You need to change the Hello World/Smuggers settings for that thumb.gif
    D'uh! It's been a long day.

Thanks Ivar - but does that explain the different behaviour when I toggle between gallery types? Doesn't matter - I'm up and away! thumb.gif
    edited October 15, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    There simply isn't a place for keywords in there that wouldn't ruin the look and feel of it.
    I agree, but that wasn't the problem as I'd worked out how to get them in there by changing the gallery type.
    Sheaf wrote:
    So we hide them in journal style.
    I'd hide them anyway, but I agree that's not an option for folks with standard accounts.

Thanks, Sheaf, for getting involved to help solve this. thumb.gif