More Portland, OR, Japanese Garden

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited October 22, 2007 in Landscapes
Three other shots I took today. All from the Portland, OR, Japanese Garden. The reduction in size does not do them justice. I wish I had a better lens with me at the time. These were all taken with the D40's Kit Lens (18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6), which I think did fairly well.

enramada.jpg
EXIF: Nikon D40, ISO 200, 1/20, f/8.0, 18mm, No Flash, Manual

ramas.jpg
EXIF: Nikon D40, ISO 200, 1/2, f/20, 18mm, No Flash, Manual

watergarden.jpg
EXIF: Nikon D40, ISO 200, 1 sec., f/22, 55mm, No Flash, Manual

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,

gassho,

N
:rolleyes
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Ahhh...wonderful! Love that third one, especially! Looks like a photog's paradise there!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited October 15, 2007
    Lovely and well captured. Good job. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    #1 I like the colors. But it is pushing me a bit toward the left side of the frame. Obviously because of the way the branches go, and the trunk. I like it, but there's this gravity that leads me out of the frame a bit... though I can't *exactly* grasp it.

#2 Doesn't do all that much for me. It's like a "You had to be there!" picture where you were wowed by the view and tried to capture it in a picture, but it doesn't translate all that well. You have some canopy, you have some rocks, you have some ferns, you have some water... but what's the subject? Nothing compelling strikes me there.

#3 is awesome. Nice capture, nice composition, very good exposure and time (1 second) to blur the water... very nicely done. thumb.gif
  • billandersbillanders Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I especially love the lines and flow in #1. Gorgeous as a color shot, would be a very, very strong B&W too.

#2 honestly doesn't do much for me. Mainly because I find my eye wandering too much since there doesn't appear to be a subject, which isn't really required. Perhaps the strongest anchor for me is the fern right on the bottom edge. Excellent colors though.

#3 is very good. I love the flow of the fall through the frame, which takes me to the pool and then allows me to scan up the right side of the image before taking me down again. Again, beautiful colors.

Don'tcha love cloudy days? :D
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Nice series. Number 3 really stands out.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    All are neatly taken pictures. Love the color and composition work. While #3
    is really sweet I think #1 stands out just as nice. I love trees and their branches. Looks like #2 is a lower shot of #1 scene. Wonder what combining
    the two would look like. Nice work. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    very nice! thumb.gif thanks for sharing!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com