Options

A Trip to get Pumpkins!

jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited October 15, 2007 in Journeys
It has been a long time since I have posted here and almost as long since I have snapped a photo. I finally got back out and into the groove this weekend. My girlfriend, her friend, her friend's boyfriend and I decided to get together on a "double date" and go pick some pumpkins. We met up at a local college and drove an hour to the backwoods of New Jersey where pumpkin picking is at its finest. Unfortunately we couldn't pick them from their vines since the farm wanted to protect its crop, but it was fun none-the-less.

This place was huge! They had a gigantic corn maze, at least 10 fields of various crops and at least 2 more devoted to the pumpkin festival. There were lots of scarecrows, gigantic pumpkins, apple cidar, and little children!

Before getting on the hayride to go to the fields, the girls spotted a picture window. My girlfriend is on the left. There were plenty of these around. Most were ones where you could be a scarecrow; this one was just a window.
208461673-L.jpg

I snapped this one "from the hip" on the hay ride. It was a very sunny day, and I have come to love the hip shot. It usually ends up with natural expressions, unfortunately they weren't smiling at this moment!
208461710-L.jpg

My girlfriend took the camera from me, devoted to getting pictures of me because "I have no pictures of you or of us because you are always the one taking them!"
208461752-L.jpg

I eventually got it back so I could pull off more hip shots! This one is a bit blurry since I was basically one handing it on the bumpy ride.
208461773-L.jpg

This gives you an idea of the expanse. This is actually looking back at where we came from. The spot on the left is where they dropped us off and behind that, over a hill and to the right is the main area.
208461819-L.jpg

I accidently called the corn stalks "hay" and never heard the end of it.
208461858-L.jpg

When they picked this up I asked them not to hold it in a provocative manor and they immediately started to do just that. They eventually settled down and I got this picture. The color of the corn was so beautiful!
208461907-L.jpg

This was just a random shot as we were walking around.
208462141-L.jpg

There was this really tall scarecrow, at least 12 feet tall. I switched to the 50mm 1.8, but that ended up being a mistake. Couldn't get the scarecrow and the girl in a shot with super sweet bokeh.
208462078-L.jpg

I have been shooting in RAW for awhile now, including this trip, but I never knew that if you shot in monochrome that it gave you different options in Canon's DPP. I really like being able to change the filter and toning. I didn't think this was going to be a keeper when I took it, but for some odd reason I find it quite captivating. Perhaps it is the contrast between the colors.
208461991-XL.jpg

I cropped and sharpened in photoshop, then removed some electrical wires in the background.
208462038-XL.jpg

And last but not least, here is a shot of that corn close up. I am using it for a "texture" photo contest on another forum.
208461633-XL.jpg

After we got our pumpkins and paid, we drove around in the little town looking for a place to eat. After finding no diners (only a West/North Jersey thing?) we settled on a QuickChek. After that we tore back across highways and back to our normal lives of school work.

Critiques and comments are welcomed and wanted as always!

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Looks like a fun outing.

I particularly like the last shot.

I've got one suggestion for you: Fill Flash. Learn how to use it properly and you will be amazed at how much better your outdoor portraits will look.
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    Looks like a fun outing.

I particularly like the last shot.

I've got one suggestion for you: Fill Flash. Learn how to use it properly and you will be amazed at how much better your outdoor portraits will look.

Ah yes! You know, I brought my flash along thinking we might end up inside and I may need it. I never thought to use it outside! I am going to have to try this next time!
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    jsedlak wrote:
    Ah yes! You know, I brought my flash along thinking we might end up inside and I may need it. I never thought to use it outside! I am going to have to try this next time!

It may seem counterintuitive, but a wise photographer once told me to use my flash outdoors and try to lose the flash indoors.