Watermarking acting strange.

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited October 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Why are the watermarks now appearing so much smaller. This started with some watermarking today and is only occuring with images I have to rotate. It is very strange.

What is going on with this. There has been a change, all of a sudden the watermark is much smaller on the rotated images.

Nevermind I found the info in another thread. I guess I need to redo all my watermarks, that will be a big pain.
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Nevermind I found the info in another thread. I guess I need to redo all my watermarks, that will be a big pain.
    Your older images aren't affected, and your new images can have big hugggge sizes and all you need to do is make a new watermark,which can be about 5minutes in photoshop. I hope that's not painful :)

It's worth it, IMO :D Oh and I have samples already in our sample watermark gallery, go for it:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1690793

Examples:

108166380-X2.jpg

108166469-X2.jpg108167919-X2.jpg
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Multiple images getting stuck in processing while watermarking
    What is going on today, trying to rewatermark photos due to the change that has caused the watermarks to become smaller. Now mutliple images aren't rewatermarking correctly and are getting hung up in processing and I have already spent an hour trying to fix this.

I am frustrated with you right now smugmug, causing me extra work.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited October 15, 2007
    bham wrote:
    What is going on today, trying to rewatermark photos due to the change that has caused the watermarks to become smaller. Now mutliple images aren't rewatermarking correctly and are getting hung up in processing and I have already spent an hour trying to fix this.

I am frustrated with you right now smugmug, causing me extra work.
    Could we get a link to the gallery, so we can help you? Thanks.
    edited October 15, 2007
    Well a couple of the galleries I first tried to replace the images that didn't watermark. Most did but a few didn't. Some this happened to while rotating. I ended up replacing them, that didn't work, so I deleted and then reuploaded. Here is one gallery that has tons

http://snapsterfoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3634854
    edited October 15, 2007
    Also the site in general is slow. I clicked on a gallery and it took 15-20 seconds to even start to load the page. I did a speed test at speedtest.net and it gives me over 6000kb/s down and 980kb/s up. details here 193094936.png
    edited October 15, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Also the site in general is slow. I clicked on a gallery and it took 15-20 seconds to even start to load the page. I did a speed test at speedtest.net and it gives me over 6000kb/s down and 980kb/s up. details here 193094936.png
    That does not surprise me, you've forced allthumbs style with loads of photos in the gallery :)

http://snapsterfoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3634854

How about SmugMug style? Much, much faster.
    edited October 15, 2007
    No my customers don't like have to go through tons of pages. All one page is what they have told me they want, so that is what they get. All of my galleries on my site are this way, over 200 at least. But it is much slower than usual and the fact that I have already loaded that page a few times today and it really shouldn't have to reload each image.
    edited October 15, 2007
    Any answer to the first question about watermarking???

Here's another gallery that has multiple images acting up

http://snapsterfoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3634880
    edited October 15, 2007
    bump for some kind of a response. Its been hours and I emailed help as well.

Anybody, anybody, Bueller.
    edited October 15, 2007
    bham wrote:
    bump for some kind of a response. Its been hours and I emailed help as well.

Anybody, anybody, Bueller.
    You will get help from the help desk now, that you've mailed us there. Thanks thumb.gif
    edited October 15, 2007
    Also for any Smugmuggers reading this I wouldn't advise replacing any photos that you are proofing that have sold. I just did and they went from being watermarked to unwatermarked. Screwy things going on with watermarks in general.
    edited October 15, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Also for any Smugmuggers reading this I wouldn't advise replacing any photos that you are proofing that have sold. I just did and they went from being watermarked to unwatermarked. Screwy things going on with watermarks in general.
    looking into that now...
    edited October 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    looking into that now...

I sent an email about it to the help desk. I manually fixed them, but they got unwatermarked somehow, sounds like another glitch.
  • RustyBRustyB Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Why are the watermarks now appearing so much smaller. This started with some watermarking today and is only occuring with images I have to rotate. It is very strange.

What is going on with this. There has been a change, all of a sudden the watermark is much smaller on the rotated images.

My watermarks are now blown up larger than my newly uploaded images! rolleyes1.gif
    I re-made the watermark, but it still does the same thing.
  • iklimoniklimon Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    RustyB wrote:
    My watermarks are now blown up larger than my newly uploaded images! rolleyes1.gif
    I re-made the watermark, but it still does the same thing.

Indeed, my watermarks are all screwed up now as well. :-/

http://photos.klimon.com/gallery/3650336#208876776
    Ian Klimon
    www.klimon.com
    edited October 16, 2007
    iklimon wrote:
    Indeed, my watermarks are all screwed up now as well. :-/

http://photos.klimon.com/gallery/3650336#208876776
    What is the size of your watermark, please?
    edited October 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    What is the size of your watermark, please?

1600 x 255

http://photos.klimon.com/gallery/2662334#140857570
    Ian Klimon
    www.klimon.com
    edited October 16, 2007
    iklimon wrote:
    Okay, you have a 1600px wide watermark but you are only allowing 800px wide display copies :) There's the issue. Use a wide watermark if you are going to use the biiiiig display copies, use a small watermark (800px wide) if you are going to limit the display sizes.
    edited October 16, 2007
    iklimon wrote:
    I've made a private test gallery on your site, I'm trying a few things, standby
    edited October 16, 2007
    iklimon wrote:

Hi, the reason is your original is only 867px by 577px. I'll see if the engineers can work around this, but for now, you should either use original size files (better for printing anyhow!) or use a smaller watermark.
    edited October 16, 2007
    FYI my watermarks were 200x200 pixels, and to keep them looking the same size on the medium size photos I am now using a 400x400 pixel watermark.
    edited October 16, 2007
    Also still be aware that when you replace a photo you have to go back and manually rewatermark it. Its not rewatermarking the photos I have replaced still today, even thought the gallery is set to watermark.
  • DisneyswDisneysw Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    I think its slow today as well - I suspect the servers are working overtime trying to manage the resizing requests caused by the introduction of the new XL sizes.

I know it has been suggested elsewhere but a 'regenerate' command along with status information on the commands progress would be useful to avoid everyone kicking off multiple 'rotates' or 'watermarks'.

Gareth
    www.eyeforphotos.co.uk
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    I started by rotating to get the new sizes to generate, what a pain and time
    consuming. I just finished regenerating about eight galleries by just going to
    watermark under gallery tools, selecting all, and clicking save. Takes a few
    minutes for them all to process but much quicker then resizing. You have to
    also change the size under customize gallery to the largest allowed for them
    to show bigger.

Oh, and it didn't effect the popular photos, they show.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    edited October 16, 2007
    is it "wrong" or not the size you expect?
    If the latter, we're working on that right now, hang in there.
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    is it "wrong" or not the size you expect?
    If the latter, we're working on that right now, hang in there.
    not the size it supposed to be... OK... I'll try in a bit to redo them... it's only 3 pics...
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Check the one that's set under gallery customization. After rotating that's the
    one applied if that's what you're doing.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited October 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Okay, you have a 1600px wide watermark but you are only allowing 800px wide display copies :) There's the issue. Use a wide watermark if you are going to use the biiiiig display copies, use a small watermark (800px wide) if you are going to limit the display sizes.

So if I want to allow Xlarge size for the display, what is the ideal watermark width then? I had 800 wide and it was all screwy (too small), I switched to 1600 wide and now its too big. :)
    Ian Klimon
    www.klimon.com
    edited October 17, 2007
    Allen, for some reason the watermark in many of my galleries that I used, after the addition of the sizes, are now half the size they were prior to the change.

Here is an example. I copied this image and rotated right and then rotated back left. When it copied it looked identicial.

209292421-M.jpg

98915072-M-6.jpg

The top one and bottom watermark are the exact same watermark, both 200x200 pixel tiled.

Now to match the first watermark in size relative to the picture I have made a watermark 400x400 and you can't tell the difference in a gallery where I would have some older images with the 200x200 and new images with the 400x400.