And another proud new 40D owner.

salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited October 16, 2007 in Cameras
Hello all, I picked up my new 40D Friday afternoon and managed a few hundred shots over the weekend. I love, its great! I'm waiting on a EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM I've ordered to go with it, until it arrives I'm using my trusty old (1989?) EF 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5. Here's a few of what I've come up with so far:
Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.

Comments

• salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    and another:
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited October 15, 2007
    and another one:
    edited October 15, 2007
    and one more:
    edited October 15, 2007
    These various shots were taken around Cape Breton Island, mostly between Coxheath Mountain, Frenchvale, North Sydney, Point Edward and Ben Eoin, October 13th & 14th, 2007. These are the first shots taken with my new Canon EOS 40D digital camera. I like it, it seems to work OK. If you'd like to see a few more take a look at: http://picasaweb.google.ca/heatonphotos/FallColours2007

Thanks for looking. salazar
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    good stuff! That first one pops nicely eh?
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Nice shots. Welcome to the Club 40D!
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
    edited October 16, 2007
    Thank you sirsloop, Terrence. There's a few in there I like. I post processed (PP) them in Google's Picasa-2 from the jpegs because I knew they were going to the web and Picasa is fast but I think I will redo some of them from the RAW files in CS3 on some rainy day (when I'm trying to avoid housework). It will be a learning experience for me as I've never worked from RAW and haven't really tried out CS3 yet (I just got it last week).

Thanks for looking!
  • HarveylevineHarveylevine Registered Users Posts: 325 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Ken:
    These are really nice and the fall colours are nicely rendered by your 40D. Good luck with it.

I think no. 1 is great and wouldn't change anything; it has such a peaceful feel. No. 2 is also idyllic and well composed. I like the way the redish brown color of the horses in the late afternoon sunshine is complemented by the red leaves. I'd use the clone tool in ACR 4 or in Photoshop to remove the bird (or dust) in the upper left corner as it's a bit of a distraction.

I like the view in no. 3 and I think the composition might be improved by placing the horizon somewhere other than in the middle of the picture. The usual rule of thirds would really help make this a great shot. The sky is very good so you might want to place the horizon at the lower third of the image and emphasize the clouds or move it to the upper third and emphasize the tan plants in the foreground. This is a good candidate for cropping to improve the composition.

The dark, mysterious stream under the trees in no. 4 is a very good compositional element but the blown out sky detracts from the composition. I'd suggest cropping most of the sky off the top and perhaps take something off the left bank to focus on the trees and stream on the right.

I like the shots very much and they make me want to visit your photogenic region.

Harvey
    Harvey Levine
    Nikon D610, Nikon D300S
    Sony A6000
    http://harveylevine.smugmug.com