Runway fashion show...HELP!!!

DizzleDizzle Registered Users Posts: 240 Major grins
edited October 16, 2007 in People
Will be attending a benefit fashionshow shoot on Friday and need all the help/advice I can get. Doing this more for the experience and practice than anything, but want to be sure to come away with some usable photos.

I currently shoot a XT and have a few lens choices:
  • 18-55 Kit
  • Sigma 70-300
  • Tamron 28-70 (my bad...should have by Friday)
  • 50 1.8
I am very green with the XT and it came with no manual so all I have is the PDF version :(

Please help the newbie with this before I resort back to film...

Thanks!
Dizzle
DeNic Photography | Portfolio | Group Blog
Canon 50D | 50 1.8 | 17-50 2.8 | 70-200 4L

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    You don't mention flash. You're not using one?

Assuming you're not, an awful lot depends upon your proximity to the catwalk.

Bottom line, reach first, then speed. So, take as long a lens as you need to, to get decent shots.

Then work on your speed. The lighting's bound to be mixed and difficult. So that 50 1.8 sure looks attractive. But not if you're too far way to fill the frame.

Don't be afraid to boost your ISO to whatever if needs to be to give you a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the motion. What that shutter speed is, depends upon your lens/distance from the stage.

High ISO means you have to nail the exposure in-camera. A high ISO shot will give you a ton of noise if you mess with it in post processing.

Before you go, study how others shoot fashion shows. Don't reinvent the wheel your first time. Steal their ideas and try to make them work.

Good luck!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    PS Are you sure that's not a Canon 24-85?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DizzleDizzle Registered Users Posts: 240 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Thanks for the advice. I fixed my lens listing snafu :)

I work with a guy who has several fashion show shoots under his belt so will take a look at his galleries as well.

Thanks!!!
    Dizzle
    DeNic Photography | Portfolio | Group Blog
    Canon 50D | 50 1.8 | 17-50 2.8 | 70-200 4L