Options

Confused on Monochrome...

2»

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    I tend to like monochromatic themes in interior decorating... I prefer tones of beigeyness (how's that for a made up word).

So from what I see, one would have a slightly off white walls (with a hint of brown or yellow in the paint color) sisal rugs (warm beige color), beige couches, light beech wood furniture, and light brown pillows which would keep the theme monochromatic...

Shades of blue, from light blue to navy blue would be monochromatic.

How much contrast in a monochromatic theme would work is another question. I suppose technically there could be a lot of contrast, for example in a table setting using various blue plates, navy napkins, pale blown Mexican glass goblets. Technically these are all shades of blue but between a pale blue and a navy there is a lot of contrast. So does this monochromatic theme of blues become colorful?

Thinking in circles again, perhaps to limit the blues to one family, some blues are greenish, some are blackish, like Navy blue. As a designer I can look at my pantone swatch book and view a gradation of colors. So the question becomes can monochromatic be colorful, therefore complicating the theme even further? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

From a search on google for monochromatic, images...
    http://iit.bloomu.edu/vthc/Design/monochromatic.htm

Here's another link (for web site design) that explains some color concepts.
    http://msconline.maconstate.edu/Tutorials/XHTML/XHTML12/xhtml12-03.htm

I have a collection of Japanese glass floats and picking some of the same color I'd have a monochromatic theme... but by lighting them in various ways they could be very colorful. Technically I'd need to use a blue gel to color the white area lower left...

56978204-M.jpg

Following that circular thinking further astray, the question becomes, is monochromatic perceived as "not" colorful? Is colorful only true if there are a variety of bright colors in an image? What if the various colors are muted, and softly lit, do they then appear monochromatic although technically they are not?

So, even when you do know the concepts used in the graphic design and web design fields -- what do our current judges know about the definitions?

If you post a drop dead WOW of a black and white photo (probably technically not monochromatic) and someone posts a technically correct monochromatic but not so drop dead wow... which photo will get chosen? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

When working with "real" clients our design studio designers followed the client's specifications, while the boss broke all the specifications. Guess which design they went with? You got it, the boss's. Sometimes clients only think they know what they want. Unless restricted by a style guide imposed on the clients, most of the time the client doesn't know what they want and they are looking for something "wow" that fits within their guidelines or limits imposed by their product and/or their intended audience.

So my long-winded circular thinking about this is that monochromatic can be monochromatic and dull or soothing, restful, etc., AND/OR it can be colorful and exciting so once again themes merge although they appear opposite.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Shudderz wrote:
    So after all of this debating/researching/pondering Monochrome, anyone else feel like just shooting a box of crayons?eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

Actually it was the first thing that popped into my head. That and 3
    super-secret-I'll-have-to kill-u-if-I-tell-u variations.
    :whip
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Actually it was the first thing that popped into my head. That and 3
    super-secret-I'll-have-to kill-u-if-I-tell-u variations.
    :whip

It was the first thing that went through my head too. I'm sure that it's safe to say that most of us have had that thought.

OK, on another note....I decided to email the two images I'm debating between to my college Art instructor.

These are the images:

208848537-Th.jpg209331398-Th.jpg

And this is her response:
    Image number one is an analogous color scheme to me and image two is monochromatic. The definition you may remember from Art 1 for Monochromatic is the use of one color and its variations or hues. Black and White are not part of the color wheel and so, they often are included as neutrals. The first image is an analogous combination of red and yellow hues. It includes the mixing of two primary colors and would fit your color model better. The second image is monochromatic.

Not sure that that will help anyone or not, but figured I'd pass on the info.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    I didn't have that thought, BUT, after Tentie said it, what came to mind was shooting a box of crayons with a shotgun, and taking a photo of the result. Funny how our minds work!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Tentacion, late reply here, and almost OT at this point, but wanted to say...I reeeealy like #4. It so reminds me of an illustration from an old mag, maybe Popular Science, or something of that line, showing a futuristic reality. Maybe an article that would have been titled, "Double Decker Super Highways: In Our Lifetime?" The people in the photo are perfect. Thanks for sharing.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Shudderz wrote:
    It was the first thing that went through my head too. I'm sure that it's safe to say that most of us have had that thought.

OK, on another note....I decided to email the two images I'm debating between to my college Art instructor.

These are the images:

208848537-Th.jpg209331398-Th.jpg

And this is her response:
    Image number one is an analogous color scheme to me and image two is monochromatic. The definition you may remember from Art 1 for Monochromatic is the use of one color and its variations or hues. Black and White are not part of the color wheel and so, they often are included as neutrals. The first image is an analogous combination of red and yellow hues. It includes the mixing of two primary colors and would fit your color model better. The second image is monochromatic.

Not sure that that will help anyone or not, but figured I'd pass on the info.

15524779-Ti.gif 100% now i just need an idea. headscratch.gif
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    Tentacion, late reply here, and almost OT at this point, but wanted to say...I reeeealy like #4. It so reminds me of an illustration from an old mag, maybe Popular Science, or something of that line, showing a futuristic reality. Maybe an article that would have been titled, "Double Decker Super Highways: In Our Lifetime?" The people in the photo are perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Perfectly described; I keep coming back to that shot :D

Heather, thanks for posting the input from your former instructor - interesting!

I guess I don't see monochromatic and colorful as being opposites ne_nau.gif Along the lines of all rectangles are squares but not all squares are rectangles - monochromatic can be colorful with enough range, but not all colorful will be monochromatic.

I am approaching the challenge with hopes of creating a monochromatic entry that isn't flat or boring in terms of color. (I offer no guarantees that the content won't be flat or boring rolleyes1.gifmwink.gif).

Donna, enjoy the heck out of the Bahamas!! I bet you come home with a winning entry, and I'll be watching out for a photo-heavy thread in Journeys clap.gif .