LPS #15 Seeking Advice Please

ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited October 17, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK, so here goes round two of LPS for me. I was working an assignment today at the local historical park when I found these treasures waiting for me. All just have minimal level corrections, no color adjusting from original image. (I gues if you leave things to lay around long enough, the rust and dust turns everything the same color.)

Would you please comment on the following for the images:
1. Does it fit the monochromatic/colorful theme?
2. Which image do you like best? Why?
3. How could it be better?

Thank you for your input. I am learning a great deal here. I've found that by trying to find a worthy entries I am seeing things around me that I never would have seen before.

A. ə.pɔð.ɪ.kɛɹ.i (Apothecary)
208848537-M.jpg

B. Contrivances

208863531-M.jpg

C. Antique Fission

208870476-M.jpg

Thanks Again!!
Heather
www.heatherdunnphotography.com
My Blog My Facebook Page
GIVING BACK - How will you give?
"I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson

Comments

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Nice Heather. I think as far as monochrome, these fit the theme great.

On the first one though, I think I'd clean the dust off the top of the bottles and in the other two I'd add a heap of dust to really dirty them up.

The first seems like a well organised area, so that's why I'd clean them up - to add to the overall impression of formality and order. However, the last two have a much more random, chaotic feel; so I'd add in some dust to reinforce the vintage, neglected feeling.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Thanks Peter,

But, unless I want to go in and digitally add or remove dust....these are items at a local historical park/museum....so pretty much hands off. (maybe I can sneak in air in a can mwink.gif )

I just felt pretty lucky to find them the way they were.

Of the three which do you think is the strongest? (I have my opinion, but don't want to influence others ideas by stating it yet)
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Shudderz wrote:
    Of the three which do you think is the strongest? (I have my opinion, but don't want to influence others ideas by stating it yet)

My opinion on that would be #2 for first, #1 for second and #3 for third.

For me, #2 has a nice disorderly feel to it that really fits the photo.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    I think #2....
    is awesome! If I understand the meaning of monochromatic properly...I would say that is a winner.

I think it will stand out because something tells me we will being a lot of B&W conversions....

Nice work!

Jon
  • nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    I am agreeing with everyone else...YAH for #2! I think wikipedia has the best (short) discription of monochromatic color...

it says....

Monochromatic colors are all the hues (tints and shades) of a single color.
    Monocolour.jpg Example of Monochromatic color

Monochromatic color schemes are derived from a single base color, and extended using its shades and tints (that is, a color modified by the addition of black and white). As a result, the energy is more subtle and peaceful due to a lack of color contrast. Monochromatic colors offer very little contrast and may be considered boring unless there is diversity within the design.

If i go by that i would say #1. Great Example.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Thank you all for the input. I've put an entry in, still not sure it's the one I'll keep there. I'd love to hear others' opinions too. There are some incredible artists in this forum, I plan to soak up as much knowledge as possible.

I took so many pictures that day. I was on an assignment to photograph the heritage of my town. I spent hours at the historical park. I was the only person there besides the two docents. They opened everything up and gave me free reign. I got the shots I needed for the assignment and learned a ton while capturing some really cool images there. My deadline is Friday, so after that I'll see about posting a thread somewhere with some of the images. It was like working in a time warp.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page