Another friend in soft light

Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
edited March 16, 2005 in People
Hello again, folks!

You might remember one of my shots from an earlier post, which was a portrait of a smiling friend.

Well, here she is again! Now I shot her in this very soft light, under the trees. Here's how the picture came out:

greyce01.jpg

I tried to achieve a really crisp look, so I used sharpening selectively on her eyes, lips and everything else that was in focus. I used agressive amounts, don't remember what the number was exactly, and a radius of about 0.5.

The rest of processing (which I did BEFORE the sharpening) was basically local contrast enhancement, using Unsharp Mask with the settings 20, 60, 0. Also used a 'soft light' adjustment layer with 35% opacity and boosted saturation +12.

An additional trick regarding sharpness is the way I scaled my picture down to 532x800. I used 'Bicubic' interpolation on PS, and after resizing I applied extra Unsharp Mask with a radius of 0.1 and an amount of around 100. I found that does the 'crisp trick' for me. :-)

So... what do you guys think of it? :-)

Thanks in advance for all your attention!

-- thiago

Comments

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    I like it. There seems to be some loose hair that could use some cleanin up.
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Thnxs for sharing how you came up with such a wonderful result.
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Nice bokeh. I would think about softening a little to work with the complexion (forehead and cheeks), and I agree that using the clone tool in PS to remove the loose hair on the face. The eyes and lips do look very good. Nice job.
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Advice taken! :-)
    Hey friends!

Took your advice and removed some of the stray hairs on her face (I replaced the original picture with the new one). This looks like a real improvement to my eyes! What do you guys think?

Thanks so much for the lovely compliments and for pointing that out: the hairs sure were distracting elements... :):

Take care!

-- thiago
  • motimoti Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Hey Thiago,
    This is a beautiful portrait for which you have captured the feelings and expression of a person in a lovely way.
    I started to post in dgrin recently and I'm very glad to find you here.
    I still remember the wonderful pictures you took last year on children's day in Brazil.
    Cheers :D
    Moti
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Crop
    Great photo, thiago!
    Like the sharpness and colors. The only thing that bothers me - the composition. Ithink that a more close-up crop will be better here. Maybe its only me, but I feel that her head is draw into her shoulders... That is because of the angle of taking shot, I think. Besides I don't think that background here playes any role to the composition, just as her shoulders and bust. You know I mean eyes - in case of more close cropping much more attention will be payed for her wonderful eyes!

What do you think?
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Lovely girl and lovely eyes.. I have to totally agree with Yuri here.. she does look a little "hunched up" with her shoulders. I love the crisp eyes, I'm noticing still that her hair is unruly on top and that destracts me a bit.. To me, if she was more three quarters with her head turned towards the camera.. but I'm not expert thats for sure.. what a great subject can you do more??clap.gif
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    cripy crispy crispy!!!!
    Thiago my friend, again you have managed to shoot a beautiful woman! I must say you really do her justice with this photo bowdown.gif
    I'm very anti-rules in this case, and I really regret not having seen the version with more unruly hair :D I love unruly hair, it makes the person more person, if you get what I mean :D
    1drink.gifthanks for sharing!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    Hi Thiago,

The light here is wonderful. I love selective sharpening, especially the eyes. For portraits I really like a shallow depth of field... even throughout the subject, as that would further draw attention to the eyes and lips.

Nice photo of a pretty girl!

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Dude,

YOu got a great pic of a gorgeous girl. Your sharpening efforts paid off termendously.
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Yowzers!
    Guys and gals, that's really a lot of feedback! :):

I'll be brief but I'll respond to you all...

Moti: Hey, now *I* am glad to see you here! I see you're doing pretty fine with your new camera, so keep us posted! :D

Yuri and Lynn: I understand exactly what you mean! Since this was the first photo from the shoot, I still hadn't tried to get closer or work the compo more, but I really liked this photo because of her expression! However, your desire to see her closer-up is an order, so stay tuned for my newer post! :):

Michiel: Thanks so much for your lovely compliments! Worry not because of the unruly hairs, because the only ones I removed were the ones that covered her eyes and lips, therefore being distracting in my opinion. :D

Jim: Thanks a lot! I remember some portraits you shot, back when you were testing a Sigma cam if I'm not mistaken, and they were pretty cool because of the very shallow DOF that drew attention to the girl's nice eyes! I love that as well! thumb.gif

canonguy: Hi man! Thanks a lot for your compliments! I'm really a sharpening freak so I always spend a lot of time trying to get the most detail from my shots!

Thanks so much for all the attention!

-- thiago