Options

Black and White Conversion Website

dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
edited October 25, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi everybody.

Over the past two years I've been building a website dedicated to black and white conversion techniques.

www.blackandwhitedigital.com

This site is now averaging about 3200 page loads and 1100 visitors per month, all by word of mouth. Not bad for a niche website. I've also received some fairly positive feedback from visitors. Anyway, since I consider dgrin my home, I decided to do the official unveiling here.

Anyone who's new to black and white conversion knows it's not easy finding information. Basically, I created a website I wish I had when I was first learning black and white conversion. The site is meant to be beginner-friendly, but it goes into some depth as well. The site covers:

- Eight different conversion techniques
- Conversion theory
- Color theory
- Three different toning techniques
- Levels and curves adjustments
- Examples

Please have a look at my website. It would be really great if you could provide some feedback on how to improve the site. The prefered method is to leave a response to this thread. I welcome all feedback, but I'm particularly interested in hearing from Photoshop gurus on the Photoshop methods I describe, and from web design gurus on the look, feel and usability of the site.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    cool website - looks like I'll be spending a few late nights reading up on this subject :-) Thanks.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Nice site. Bookmarked for later reading. ;)
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Unfortunately for my job, I just spent the last 30 minutes reading the site. Nice work.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    What a great resource, Dan!! Bookmarked for reference and perusal when I get home.

You've been quiet lately. Good to hear you're alive and still shooting :)
  • Options
    dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Nice site. Bookmarked for later reading. ;)

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Nice site and sooooo much infomation. I know I will learn a lot. You did an excellent job thumb.gif

---Mary
  • Options
    NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Black and white is my favorite medium. Thank you for telling us about this website. I've got a couple of books on digital black and white. I'm going to spend quality time reading what you put on the website.

I do most of my black and white conversion in Lightroom, which has pretty good controls.

Navy Moose
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Great site! It's nice to see the same image converted through different methods side by side to truly see the difference.

Thanks! Definately a site to save in my favs and study later!
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Looks interesting, so I'll have to dig deeper. I recognize Gorman, hue, channels and the other titles from the various ways I've done it. I'll have to dig deeper and see what you have on the new CS3 and Lightroom (LR) methods.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Looks interesting, so I'll have to dig deeper. I recognize Gorman, hue, channels and the other titles from the various ways I've done it. I'll have to dig deeper and see what you have on the new CS3 and Lightroom (LR) methods.
    Hi Dave,

I have nothing on CS3 or Lightroom yet. I haven't upgraded to CS3 yet. I just installed Lightroom and have only done a few conversions with it. I do like the results though. Lightroom conversion is on my to-do list. I will update this thread when I've posted info on Lightroom.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my site, and for your feedback.
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    dkoyanagi wrote:

Please have a look at my website. It would be really great if you could provide some feedback on how to improve the site. The prefered method is to leave a response to this thread. I welcome all feedback, but I'm particularly interested in hearing from Photoshop gurus on the Photoshop methods I describe, and from web design gurus on the look, feel and usability of the site.

Thanks for looking.
    Dan, feedback is: Your site is great!

My only suggestion would be to add a series of links, trailing back from the current page to the root page, as done here on digital grin at the top of the page, also shown below:

Digital Grin Photography Forum > Photo Finish > Finishing School > Black and White Conversion Website

Even though your menu system can get one back, I found it easy to get lost in the somewhat 'circular navigation' and found myself wishing to know exactly where I was in the structure of your sites sub-sections.

Sincerely,

Stephen Marsh
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/