New Camera...

Andrew.CAndrew.C Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited October 17, 2007 in Cameras
I'm looking into buying a new camera.

Nothin' too flashy, just something better than my decidedly crappy Canon PowerShot A520. I've had it for too long, and it's simply not getting the job done anymore.
canon-powershot-a520-review-1.jpg
I was thinking about getting the Kodak EasyShare P712. It's about the price range I'm looking at, and the reviews were pretty high.
kodak-easyshare-P712.jpg

Any feedback?

Comments

• TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Tell us more about what you want to capture. That, more than anything, determines the type of camera needed. From there, we start talking models, price, features and tradeoffs.

You also need to set an absolute maximum for your budget. Cameras aren't cheap. Great cameras are quite expensive. Knowing what you can spend will help people keep the conversation focused in that area.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 16, 2007
    Have a look at the Lumix cameras as well. Panasonic are getting some good
    reviews for these babies.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    my pocket rocket is a Lumix dmc-tz3... panasonic does have the P&S down pat.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Like Terrence said, give us more details of what you wnat to do with the camera. Then we can start giving some useful recommendations.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    That Kodak is a 'superzoom' point and shoot. Lots of those available, from Panasonic, Canon, Olympus, etc.

I suggest that you visit dpreview.com

Perhaps bounce some ideas off this group as to what your intentions are first.
  • Andrew.CAndrew.C Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2007
    Ha, completely slipped my mind.

I don't take any pictures for magazines or anything, I do photography just for fun, and as a hobby. If I ever really need my camera for anything, it's mainly for taking pictures of family and friends. Occasionally I'll go out and take really artsy photos. I've particularly noticed that the Canon takes very poor night photographs, and night photos are something I've always been into.

In keeping with that, a new camera would have to be portable. The PowerShot had that.

I like the Kodak's "superzoom" functionality. I've been on a few vacations and was extremely hindered by the Canon's 4x zoom.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    For nearly everything you mention, just about any P&S should be fine, that Kodak included.

The night shooting, however is a different story. That kind of challenging task is what drives many of us to the expensive world of DSLRs. I'm not terribly familiar with the latest crop of P&S, but would be mildy surprised to find one that does a really good job at this task. From my experience, all P&S do a rotten job at low-light/night photography, it's just oustide their performance envelope. They have the same number of pixels as most DSLRs, but on a chip several times smaller, with a tiny little compromised lens in front of it, and run the sensor constantly to feed the LCD in lieu of a proper optical viewfinder. All those factors make for poor low light performance.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    The night shooting, however is a different story. That kind of challenging task is what drives many of us to the expensive world of DSLRs. I'm not terribly familiar with the latest crop of P&S, but would be mildy surprised to find one that does a really good job at this task.

+1 I love my S5 IS, but I bought it with the understanding that shooting at anything over ISO 400 would be nearly useless, so low-light shots require long exposures. This is not always ideal, depending on the shot you are composing. That said, a camera with a hotshoe and manual flash control (like that Kodak, my Canon, etc.) allow you to add light to the shot -- with decent precision -- for those times you need a shorter exposure.

End of the day, my sub-$500 setup takes great pics for 95% of what I shoot. That other 5% means a dSLR. I haven't decided if I'm serious enough to pursue that yet.
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    I picked up a Fujifilm F30 specifically for the low-light performance. ISO 1600 is pretty darn good. ISO 3200 is grainy but it's almost a film look and not displeasing to the eye at all.

I don't know anything about the market between compact P&S and DSLR, so I'm not much use for advice in that space. I have heard the Canon G7 and G9, while very nice cameras, have poor low light performance.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Andrew.C wrote:
    Ha, completely slipped my mind.

I don't take any pictures for magazines or anything, I do photography just for fun, and as a hobby. If I ever really need my camera for anything, it's mainly for taking pictures of family and friends. Occasionally I'll go out and take really artsy photos. I've particularly noticed that the Canon takes very poor night photographs, and night photos are something I've always been into.

In keeping with that, a new camera would have to be portable. The PowerShot had that.

I like the Kodak's "superzoom" functionality. I've been on a few vacations and was extremely hindered by the Canon's 4x zoom.

I have a Canon A540, an updated (higher resolution version, I beleive) of the one you have. Overall, not a bad compact camera. When you get something new, keep the Canon.

As for night shots, the 6MP Fuji camera using their SuperCCD sensor are considered the best of the compacts for low-light shots. Unfortunately, they have been mostly replaced with higher MP cameras. The F30 (and the similar F31fd) mentioned by Terrence gets great reviews. I have the S6000fd, which uses the same sensor in an ultrazoom body (one of the most SLR like ultrazooms). I've had it since May or Junt, have taken over 1000 shots and have been pretty happy with it. Low light is much better than the Canon, although still not as good as I would really like. But I can use it. I took a few night shots with it in Shanghai in July, I'll have to dig those out and take a look and post the best ones for you to look at.

Jim
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 17, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    I picked up a Fujifilm F30 specifically for the low-light performance. ISO 1600 is pretty darn good. ISO 3200 is grainy but it's almost a film look and not displeasing to the eye at all.

I don't know anything about the market between compact P&S and DSLR, so I'm not much use for advice in that space. I have heard the Canon G7 and G9, while very nice cameras, have poor low light performance.

I also have a FinePix F30 and I am blown away by the ISO 1600. By far the best in class. I bought an F40fd for my son and it's not too bad at ISO 1600, but not as good as the F30. The F40fd does have better daylight performance however, and makes a pretty well rounded P&S.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • InukshukInukshuk Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 17, 2007