Options

Any Magritte fans out there?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
edited October 17, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
As you might have noticed from my sig, I am fond of the Belgian surrealist, Rene Magritte. Here's something inspired by him...well, OK, ripped off. :D
208939777-L.jpg
Thanks for looking. C&C always appreciated.

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Mais Oui,

The meaning of your photo is unknowable, and those are not trees and buildings and sky.

Yet I wonder about the jigsaw puzzle of lives in those apartment buildings, mysteriously.

Well done. I like it.

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    JimW wrote:
    Mais Oui,

The meaning of your photo is unknowable, and those are not trees and buildings and sky.

Yet I wonder about the jigsaw puzzle of lives in those apartment buildings, mysteriously.

Well done. I like it.

Jim

How paradoxical to be understood.

Glad you liked it, Jim. Thx.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    How paradoxical to be understood.
    :D

Richard,

Every once in a while, I find a photo on the forum that sticks in my memory, and I keep returning to it. This is one of those.

It’s got the earth, nature, people (well, at least people are represented by the apartments), and thanks to your thinking to turn the camera vertical, it has the skies, all in one simple photo. Showing so much sky makes those people’s lives, our lives, seem so small and insignificant. The apartments hidden in the shadows of the trees add mystery (Magritte would like that). And the cloud cooperated.

I’m working on a project of environmental portraits of people in my building, so am involved in looking at apartment buildings and thinking about the stories inside. Your surrealist reference reminded me that so many people, from Einstein to Magritte, taught us that things are not always as they seem. I don’t know what that point means today, now, to my project. But it all goes into the mix, you know. So, thanks for posting this photo. I’m enjoying it.

Jim

• Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    JimW wrote:
    I’m working on a project of environmental portraits of people in my building, so am involved in looking at apartment buildings and thinking about the stories inside. Your surrealist reference reminded me that so many people, from Einstein to Magritte, taught us that things are not always as they seem. I don’t know what that point means today, now, to my project. But it all goes into the mix, you know. So, thanks for posting this photo. I’m enjoying it.

Jim
    Jim,

I recall seeing a post of yours some time ago about your project. It sounds fascinating and I am looking forward to seeing the results.

If you are not familiar with it, you should have a look at Robert Doisneau's La Maison des Locataires. It's a montage of an old Parisian apartment building with scenes from the interior arranged like the windows of the façade. Each scene tells a different, wonderful story. I have a poster of it hanging in my living room and never get tired of looking at it.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    If you are not familiar with it, you should have a look at Robert Doisneau's La Maison des Locataires
    I am not familiar with it, as it never came up in my research, and I would very much like to see it. I can't find it on Google, so I'm hoping the library will have a Doisneau book with it.

Thank you for alerting me to this, Richard.