The Onion Awesomeness again.

MacBook Wheel
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    "Everything you need is just a few hundred clicks away"

"spent 45 minutes typing an email to his friend"

"virtually unbreakable unless dropped or hit"

Read the fine print, too.

lol3.gif

haha!! The Onion, best news publication ever!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    It's not really news, and it's not exclusively Mac related, but I'm loving Dropbox. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gif Matte screen on the 17" MacBook Pro! The integrated battery isn't a deal breaker for me (especially for a work system). Too bad 4 GB SoDimms are $500 each, even from Crucial.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's not really news, and it's not exclusively Mac related, but I'm loving Dropbox. thumb.gif

OK, this is serious. I'm in love. :D

Here's what I've been using it for:
    • Bypassing iStink, er, iSync. I've had a lot of problems with iSync working properly, and having to reset sync prefs. One app that I love is TextExpander, which uses iSync to synchronize settings across Macs. But iSync wasn't working. So, I had to fool TE. The settings file has a path ~/Library/Application Support/TextExpander/Settings.textexpander. I moved the file to my dropbox, and then created a symbolic link to make the Mac think that the file was in App Support. Here's the command: ln -s ~/Dropbox/TextExpander/Settings.textexpander ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextExpander/Settings.textexpander
      You would change it depending on your paths, but basically it breaks down like this (string 1,2 and 3 together with a space between each):

1) ln -s (that's the command)
      2) the path of where the file actually is, after you've moved it to wherever you want it to be
      3) the path of where you want the symbolic link created.

NOTE: any space in either of the paths needs to have a \ preceding it. Spaces are only for breaking parts of the command, so if there's a space, as there is in "Application Support", you need to type it as "Application\ Support"
    • I've done the same symbolic linking with my Bento database, so I can work on it from either of my computers. It, too, insists that the file be in a specific location, but now I can share it between computers.
    • Other miscellaneous things I want to be able to access from either computer. My quicken files, for instance. I prefer working on the big dual 23" displays when I can, but want to be able to work on the lappy, too.
    • Sharing files with others. You can create a share folder and invite others. You can share an otherwise private folder with someone, and you can hand out links to things you've loaded into your Public folder.
    • What got me started on this was changing my 1Password keychain from the OSX Keychain to the Agile Keychain, which is fasterer, smarterer and more dependabler. But to sync it, they suggested Dropbox. I'm glad they did, I'm finding all kinds of cool uses for it! thumb.gif

This is iDisk on steroids, with instant updating. It only updates the portion of the file that's changed, instead of the whole thing. It's truly awesome! clap.gif
    2GB is free, 50GB is $99/year.

CAUTION: At present Dropbox does NOT copy the resource fork. Maybe my love isn't so strong, after all. It borked the Quicken files I had uploaded to it. The solution here is to put these files into a DMG. That works fine. Good thing I had a backup of my Quicken, cause the files I had put in the Dropbox were unusable!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    This is iDisk on steroids, with instant updating. It only updates the portion of the file that's changed, instead of the whole thing. It's truly awesome! clap.gif
    2GB is free, 50GB is $99/year.

Sounds awesome. I've recently fallen in love with SugarSync - which sounds quite similar.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Sounds awesome. I've recently fallen in love with SugarSync - which sounds quite similar.

Yes, in that it also strips out the resource fork! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    My sync solution, thumb drive, 8GB :)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    My sync solution, thumb drive, 8GB :)

Okay - I'll bite (though I know you're half-kidding) mwink.gif

That means that your sync solution is actually comprised of 1) your ability to remember to sync often 2) your ability not to lose the thumb drive, have it stolen from you or fail.

DropBox and SugarSync remove those worries. (I'll talk about Sugar Sync because I have it but David has said similar things about DropBox.)

Sugar Sync is $25/year for 10GB (larger plans available). I've installed the software on all 3 of my computers (there's an iPhone version too - it works on Windows, Mac, and most mobile phones). I tell it what folders to monitor. When I edit a file in one of those folders (and hit save) it instantly uploads my changes to the version on my 10GB SugarSync store. Then, in sends the updated version of the file to my other two computers. I can work on a document on the road on my laptop and know that when I get to my desktop back at the office the new or changed files will be there. If one of my computers isn't around I can still access those files by logging in to the website.

Personally, I'm done with the USB drive method. This eliminates almost all potential for error so that I always have the files I need where I need them.

http://www.sugarsync.com/products/

and

https://www.getdropbox.com/tour#1
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I'll add to this as well, but since I am a cheap b!@#%#d, I prefer free. Yes, I know Dropbox is free, but only 2GB.

Windows Live Mesh beta is a free solution from MS, similar to Dropbox and others. You get 5GB free. I have found it works seamlessly, and yes it works on my Mac and Windows PC. I have only used it for some Word Docs, and Powerpoint, as well as a few pictures, but I find it a good solution so far.

https://www.mesh.com/Welcome/Default.aspx

it is in beta, so YMMV.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Okay - I'll bite (though I know you're half-kidding) mwink.gif

~~~snip~~~

DropBox and SugarSync remove those worries. (I'll talk about Sugar Sync because I have it but David has said similar things about DropBox.)
    ~~~snip~~~

Personally, I'm done with the USB drive method. This eliminates almost all potential for error so that I always have the files I need where I need them.

Actually you make a pretty good arguement, I am going to look at that, although I am also tempted to look at MobileMe/.mac (the wife has an account)
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Actually you make a pretty good arguement, I am going to look at that, although I am also tempted to look at MobileMe/.mac (the wife has an account)

If you're looking for braindead syncing, then either sugarsync or dropbox kick Mobile Me's buttocks. Just sayin'.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    If you're looking for braindead syncing, then either sugarsync or dropbox kick Mobile Me's buttocks. Just sayin'.

Heck I appreciatte it :) I am looking for file access/syncing and offsite backup. Trying to figure out if I can do both with one solution.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    mountainpzmountainpz Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    iMac luminance
    Hi guys.

My apologies if this has already been discussed. Feel free to redirect me to the proper thread.

My calibration prints turned out too dark and I am in the process of calibrating my iMac 24" LCD monitor with an i1 display 2. However I cannot get the luminance down to the recommended value of 120. Not even close actually - I am stuck above 200.

Is there any way to decrease the luminance without spending money on more software, or will I just have to use the lowest brightness value I can reach and go with that?

Thanks for your help.
    - Paul

Paul Zizka Photography: zizka.smugmug.com
    The Blog - Twitter - Facebook
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Just a guess, but you have tried lowering the brightness with F14?
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    Just a guess, but you have tried lowering the brightness with F14?

F14 does not do anything for me. I am 99% sure that I have my LCD at its lowest brightness setting.
    - Paul

• Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    mountainpz wrote:
    F14 does not do anything for me. I am 99% sure that I have my LCD at its lowest brightness setting.

What makes you so sure? How are you setting it?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 11, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Really? those apps will keep my calendar and address book synced between iphone, home Mac, and anywhere I can login to me.com?

I'll happily take back my me.com account if you show me something that does it as seamlessly (that's not baiting or sarcasm, it's serious).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Really? those apps will keep my calendar and address book synced between iphone, home Mac, and anywhere I can login to me.com?

I'll happily take back my me.com account if you show me something that does it as seamlessly (that's not baiting or sarcasm, it's serious).

Sorry. Braindead file syncing, which is what he was after. Calendar and address book is still Mobile Me for ... me. rolleyes1.gif

Now, if you want to go the symbolic link method, you could probably use this to ditch your mobile me altogether, like I did with the TextExpander prefs and bento.db file. deal.gif

EDIT: except I read over the whole iPhone thing. If you're OK syncing your calendar and address book manually when you sync your iPhone, then you're OK. If you want live syncing, then you're stuck with Mobile Me, I think....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sorry. Braindead file syncing, which is what he was after. Calendar and address book is still Mobile Me for ... me. rolleyes1.gif

Now, if you want to go the symbolic link method, you could probably use this to ditch your mobile me altogether, like I did with the TextExpander prefs and bento.db file. deal.gif

Like this:
    Montag, 28. Oktober 2002

How to move your iCal files to another folder and maybe let several people write to one calendar
    iCal really wants to keep the iCal files in ~/Library/Calendars/. If you try to replace an individual calendar with an alias or a symbolic link, it will read the calendar alright, but overwrite the alias/link when saving.
    A solution to this is to create a symbolic link to the Calendars folder! Do as follows (at your own risk, don't blame me if you miss the date of the century):
    - Quit iCal
    - open Terminal.app (located in Applications/Utilities/)
    - type 'cp -r ~/Library/Calendars/ ~/Library/CalendarsBackup/' and press return (this creates a copy of your iCal files)
    - type 'rm -fr ~/Library/Calendars/' and press return (this deletes your original iCal files)
    - type 'cp -r ~/Library/CalendarsBackup /Users/Shared/Calendars/' and press return (replace '/Users/Shared/Calendars/' with the folder you want to have the files in)
    - type 'ln -s /Users/Shared/Calendars/ ~/Library/Calendars' and press return
    - start iCal and see if things are working
    - You still have a copy of the original files in ~/Library/CalendarsBackup/! - remember to change the file privileges of the .ics files so everyone can access them in the way you want them to.

You can use this technique to share a calendar between several persons. It does not come close to a real groupware thing, but is workable in a family setting for example. Everyone enters their dates on the livingroom computer and the calendar is then subscribed by everone.
    It should work as long as you only access it locally, as there usually is only one person logged in at a certain time. It will not work if you place the files on a fileserver volume and have several people access it with iCal at the same time (subscribing via WebDAV will work of course).
    Unfortunately, this solution does not work for individual calendars, only for the whole folder.

Important: There are possibly some privacy issues with this solution, as others might gain access to all your calendars. Beware.
    PS: This post was inspired by Simone Bettini of eVectors.
    10:04:32 AM

You would just put the file in your dropbox and then point BOTH computers to it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    from macosxhints.com:

Share one Address Book among multiple users
    Fri, Dec 3 2004 at 9:17AM PST • Submitted by Anonymous
    This is how to share the Address Book on a single Mac with each user of the machine. No syncing is needed -- all users will work on the same data.
    Have a separate partition with "Ignore permissions" checked in the Get Info box.
    Make sure you have synced all Address Books via import-export.
    Copy the Address Book folder you want to use as the master from /Users -> user_name -> Library -> Application Support to the other partition.
    Delete the original folder for each user (after verifying the copy), and make a symbolic link from the new location of the master Address Book folder. Symbolic links are made in the Terminal: ln -s path_origin path_alias.
    For each additional user: Delete the original folder and make a symbolic link.
    This works on networks, too. But it is very slow when searching. My strategy for syncing the network (three macs, four users): My Address Book on my personal Mac is the master. Every new or changed entry on another Mac is dragged to a group called "New." Once in a while, I export the new entries to the master Address Book and check them. After that, I zip the Address Book folder and install them on the other Macs. The symbolic links will still work.

[robg adds: I haven't tested this one.]
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    mountainpz wrote:

I pressed the "lower brightness" key until I was at the far left of the scale (same as going through Displays). That should make the monitor as dark as possible, and I still get really high luminance values when calibrating (well above the recommended 120-140).
    - Paul

• Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    mountainpz wrote:
    I pressed the "lower brightness" key until I was at the far right of the scale (same as going through Displays). That should make the monitor as dark as possible, and I still get really high luminance values when calibrating (well above the recommended 120-140).

You mean far left, right?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    You mean far left, right?

I do. Sorry about that. Xrite suggested I use the Shades freeware. Will give it a shot.
    - Paul

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 12, 2009
    mountainpz wrote:
    I pressed the "lower brightness" key until I was at the far left of the scale (same as going through Displays). That should make the monitor as dark as possible, and I still get really high luminance values when calibrating (well above the recommended 120-140).
    I haven't tried calibrating my monitor with any external device, but I must say I've noticed that even on the lowest setting, my iMac is still really bright!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I haven't tried calibrating my monitor with any external device, but I must say I've noticed that even on the lowest setting, my iMac is still really bright!
    Put on some shades. Though I am not sure how this would affect correct color representation on the iMac for photo editing/displaying.

EDIT: should have read the previous post mentioning shades. Sorry for the duplicate info on that.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    Put on some shades. Though I am not sure how this would affect correct color representation on the iMac for photo editing/displaying.

EDIT: should have read the previous post mentioning shades. Sorry for the duplicate info on that.

Thanks for your help guys. Shades seems to do the trick.
    - Paul

• Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Win 7 Beta in Fusion
    If any of you gearheads out there are interested in trying out the Windows 7 Beta, I finally got it installed in VMWare Fusion on the Mac by following this guys instructions. I could not get it to work using the VMWare Easy Install.

Pretty cool looking, some nice UI and general interaction enhancements. Fusion gives it a few fits, such as screen drawing, but that is my issue not Microsoft's. Fully compatible with VMWare tools it seems.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx
  • Options
    Gadget_GirlGadget_Girl Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Congrats, Gadget_Girl!

Let us know if you need any help with the transition. After we're done bickering over the correct answer, we'll get you squared away! deal.gif
    OK so you said if I need help well- Help!
    I finally go Adobe to issue me a copy of CS3 for the mac ( it amazes me that more people aren't aware that Adobe will give you the software when you switch platforms). Were my troubles lay are that I don't now where/ how to install my onOne plugin. Any help would be appreciated.
    Cherie-Lynn
    SM Web Site
    SIS Web Site
    Blog
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50D- Canon EF 28mm 1.8, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Sigma DC 18-200mm OS
    Canon Speedlite 580 EXll X2, PocketWizaed Plusll x2
    Mac

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film. ~Author Unknown[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    I found this online backup solution. It's $5/month no matter how much you're storing. I'm just trying it out and it seems really really easy, easier than Jungle Disk, which I may ditch. The Mac version is in private beta, but there's a link to an invite in the link above. Check it out.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I found this online backup solution. It's $5/month no matter how much you're storing. I'm just trying it out and it seems really really easy, easier than Jungle Disk, which I may ditch. The Mac version is in private beta, but there's a link to an invite in the link above. Check it out.

I also highly recommend Mozy Home. Its $4.95 a month for unlimited backup, and the Mac version is very mature, not in beta like the above. They offer a free version with 2GB limit, so its simple to try. I have an account for my Mac, and free accounts for all the other computers in the house (2GB free).

Basically it runs in the background. You can choose files, file types, directories etc to be backed up. It does not appear as a virtual disk, however you can open the client (or web client) for easy access and download of any file that has been uploaded.