Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Cool! So no rebooting once updated to take effect?
    A restart will be required for an OS upgrade. nod.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    edited January 9, 2011
    A restart will be required for an OS upgrade. nod.gif

That's what I need to know! So when I have time for gigs :oogle to be downloaded, I will try that.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    That's what I need to know! So when I have time for gigs :oogle to be downloaded, I will try that.
    The 10.6.6 update download was only about 160 MB as I recall!
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011

OS X lets you choose when to restart-it's not required until you're ready for it. You can keep using your Mac normally while the update is downloaded and installed. It's just the last step that requires a reboot, but you can choose when to do that yourself.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    Do I need to upgrade to 10.6.5 first? Or can I jump into 10.6.6 from 10.6.4?
    And while I'm asking that, I've not updated anything since September when I got the Pro. Any trick to it? Or do I just upload the GIG+ of updates, shut down and boot back up? Any manual installing to do?

Generally the updater will update from any version back to the last major upgrade base version. So if you are on 10.6.4, you can run 10.6.6 and you're covered. But if you were on 10.5.8 Leopard you'd need to pay for the 10.6.0 Snow Leopard major upgrade first.

If you're new to the Mac there's more than one way to update.
    1. The easy way - open Software Update and let it run. It will download what's needed. For a complex update, the exact size may vary by:
    • the Mac you have
    • your current OS version
    • what's already installed
    2. The geek way - download the updater image from Apple, open it, run it, dismount the image. The size of this can also vary because Apple gives you two kinds:
    • Delta updater - only updates the changes from the last update you installed (in your case 10.6.4 to 10.6.6). Software Update uses this.
    • Combo updater - replaces all changes from 10.X.0 to current update, so it is always the biggest download. I always download this. Some feel safer rewriting everything since X.0, rather than patching over patches. Running the combo again later sometimes fixes odd issues.

You always have to reboot after an OS X update or upgrade.
    The 10.6.6 update download was only about 160 MB as I recall!
    That's the delta updater, the minimum changes only. So you see how this works. If one user downloads the combo, another downloads the delta, a third user runs Software Update on their 10.6.2 iMac and a fourth user runs Software Update on their 10.6.4 MacBook Pro, all four users may report different sizes for the update, and there would be nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    It's a Mac! Run Software Update, sit back, and relax! :D

Exactly. And be sure you have your System Prefs to check for them, I check weekly:

20110109-jx38uwxincwyfiam1a4cs1y6pp.jpg
  • Options
    noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    Ugh! Looks like I need to get a new Mac and I am not sure what to do. I have an Aluminum iMac 20" 2.4Ghz C2D with 4GB's of RAM. My Apple Care expired in August, and since I have had multiple problems with my FW800 port as well as my USB ports. A rest of PRAM did not help. Originally, I thought it was my Drobo which was causing the problem, and Data Robotics replaced the unit twice. Once in August, and again in October. I realized it must be my logic board because my FW800 CF reader and my USB CF reader both unexpectedly started disconnecting in October as well. To make matters worse, two days before hip surgery in November my internal hard drive died. Well, I had a spare hard drive lying around so I went to Home Depot and bought suction cups and replaced it myself. Well, last night my hard drive again died. Thankfully I use Super Duper to clone my internal...I schedule it every night at 2AM, so I am able to boot from my external. I also keep all my data on the Drobo and use BackBlaze to store EVERYTHING in the cloud.

Now, I guess I can from my external for the time being, but I really want to get a new computer. Sadly, I think it would cost more than it is worth to have the iMac repaired. A. Apple Care expired, and B. I opened the machine up myself and replaced the drive...I had too, as I did not have time to bring it in for Apple to diagnose the issue prior to my surgery...and like I said it probably cost more than it is worth.

I am contemplating either the i5 Quad Core or the i7 Quad Core iMac...anyone here have experience with either? I can get refurbed versions from Apple using a 15% employee discount via my cousin. The 15 would be $1,577 while the i7 would be $1,763. I really hate to spend the money right now...but I think I have to. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    Sorry to hear about all the trouble! I don't have experience with either, but you shouldn't worry about having opened up your Mac, as it was already out of warranty.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2011
    LauchBar does so much that I don't use. Today I discovered a new one that I LOVE.

It stores a history of your clipboard entries, which you can access by typing cmd-opt-\. Then double click on the entry you want, and it's pasted! et voila!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 7, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    LauchBar does so much that I don't use. Today I discovered a new one that I LOVE.

It stores a history of your clipboard entries, which you can access by typing cmd-opt-\. Then double click on the entry you want, and it's pasted! et voila!
    Looks like you're still getting the hang of that new feature... the link above goes to the speedtest image grab you posted on facebook last night. blbl.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 7, 2011
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    Looks like you're still getting the hang of that new feature... the link above goes to the speedtest image grab you posted on facebook last night. blbl.gif

I have no idea what you're talking about.

:hide

(fixed)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    OT Mac voice viedeo chat question
    I have a Mac and thought it would be fun and interesting to try video chatting. I just bought a web cam and tried to get ichat working with a gmail jabber account.

Many hours and huge frustration later no success.

Apple is a great help. They say ichat is working fine the issue is outside of ichat......good luck. While I can find similar questions on the Goggle help forums. I can find no answers. I can find no help email or phone for Goggle.

All my reading and following instructions yield no positive results.

The issue must be some where between ichat and the gmail jabber set up, or server.

Just for reference I set up Skype and simply followed the instructions and it worked right out of the box, so my hardware is fine.

Ichat has some features that I like and would like to be able to use. Also I was thinking it might be easier for someone with a gmail account to at least receive an image and voice without setting up a Skype account.

Has anyone been able to use ichat successfully?

Any help will be appreciated.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    What kind of webcam? Is OS X up to date?

Sorry for the basic questions. All of the webcam experience I have with Macs involves iSights, which "just work", so I thought we could start at the start. :D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited February 18, 2011
    What kind of webcam? Is OS X up to date?

Sorry for the basic questions. All of the webcam experience I have with Macs involves iSights, which "just work", so I thought we could start at the start. :D
    Since it works with Skype, the hardware and system software are not the problem. It's an application issue.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    Good point, Richard. I was wondering if for example if OS X was out of date, if a newer version of iChat might solve the problem. Or if there was a newer version of a driver for the webcam that would help it work with iChat.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    Possibly a firewall issue.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011
    I never managed to get ichat to work reliably, for example with my in-laws, and decided it was a firewall issue with their router. In the end I found Skype worked fine, and never tried to solve the iChat issue. Gtalk video chat works with my iMac, using the built in iSight. This is the browser based Gtalk btw.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    This is very frustrating! Apple claims ichat works and can do all these amazing things, yet don't seem to be able to actually show me how to get it to perform as advertised.

Gmail voice / video makes similar claims for amazing performance, yet I can not gain any access to a person or information that will allow me to get gmail to perform as advertised.

I have been able to have several people claim they also have been unable able to get ichat to work. One said use Skype ichat doesn't work.

There really shouldn't be any difference between isight camera and the Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro.

For reference no drivers are needed. I have ichat 5.03, and Mac 10.6.6.

Again Skype works.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2011
    Sam, see if this helps.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Again Skype works.

Why not just use it?
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    This is very frustrating! Apple claims ichat works and can do all these amazing things, yet don't seem to be able to actually show me how to get it to perform as advertised.

Gmail voice / video makes similar claims for amazing performance, yet I can not gain any access to a person or information that will allow me to get gmail to perform as advertised.

I have been able to have several people claim they also have been unable able to get ichat to work. One said use Skype ichat doesn't work.

There really shouldn't be any difference between isight camera and the Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro.

For reference no drivers are needed. I have ichat 5.03, and Mac 10.6.6.

Again Skype works.

Sam

Hi Sam. I have both iCHAT and Skype on both my iMAC and my MacBook Pro. They both work very well. I use iCHAT with my son and his family who are also MAC people. I use SKYPE with my PC friends who don't respect the Mac.

You are supposed to be able to use iChat with other web communications tools, but I never had much luck - it wasn't simple. Skype is a piece of cake.

If you want to try it out, PM me your contact info. for either or both and I'll call you.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Well, I just checked, and FWIW, iSight, Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks, and my Sony Handycam over FireWire work on my iMac for Skype and gtalk.

Of course, you must choose the video resource in the app, not sure if that's your issue (suspect not)

Anyway, a Logitech camera on an iMac does work
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Sam, see if this helps.

I just took a fast look at this and I will study it in detail and see if this helps.

I'll let you know.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Why not just use it?

Good question. :D

First there are some cool features in ichat. I can use a blue tooth device for audio. Multiple people in a conference.

Second...........Apple clearly advertises and makes claims as too ichat's wonderfulness.

Maybe it's just stubbornness? I have a 1930 electric coffee grinder I use every day. I have a 1906 phonograph. It works! I don't like having things that don't work. :D

While I may end up using Skype, I would like it to be my choice, not because ichat isn't functional.

Hope that makes sense.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Hi Sam. I have both iCHAT and Skype on both my iMAC and my MacBook Pro. They both work very well. I use iCHAT with my son and his family who are also MAC people. I use SKYPE with my PC friends who don't respect the Mac.

You are supposed to be able to use iChat with other web communications tools, but I never had much luck - it wasn't simple. Skype is a piece of cake.

If you want to try it out, PM me your contact info. for either or both and I'll call you.

Will do.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Good question. :D

First there are some cool features in ichat. I can use a blue tooth device for audio. Multiple people in a conference.
    I'm going out on a limb since I haven't done it myself, but I would think Skype doesn't even know that you're using Bluetooth--the OS should hide that sort of stuff from the application. I can say from experience that Skype does conference calls, including video. Maybe not on Mac, yet, dunno.
    Second...........Apple clearly advertises and makes claims as too ichat's wonderfulness.
    Ah, yes. Have another glass of Kool Aid. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb since I haven't done it myself, but I would think Skype doesn't even know that you're using Bluetooth--the OS should hide that sort of stuff from the application. I can say from experience that Skype does conference calls, including video. Maybe not on Mac, yet, dunno.
    Ah, yes. Have another glass of Kool Aid. rolleyes1.gif

Richard,

While Skype can do conference calls, you have to pay an additional fee for this. Under ichat / jabber / gmail the claim is that you can do conference calls without any additional charges.

Please note: I am incredibly adverse to coll aid!! In the end I believe it's worse then all the narcotics out there.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Unless they have made a recent change, there's no charge for Skype conference calls as long as all participants are using computers. If you want to also include plain old telephones in the conference--or one on one--then yes, there is a charge. It's pretty reasonable though. I use it to keep in touch with some people in the States who are not Internet addicts like me. Calling a US landline from Spain using Skype-out costs about 1/10 as much as it would using my regular TC provider.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Just as Richard wrote, I have recently had a conference call on Skype that didn't cost me or any of the participants any money.

In any case, I would look at this situation as an omen-put iChat down and try something better, like Adium (http://adium.im/), just for chatting on various protocols. For video and whatnot, use Skype. I know you want to get iChat to work, but this might be a sign. deal.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    I will say that there are advantages to iChat at times, and I am surprised that Sam is having so much trouble. The big one happened to me while traveling, some places are blocking Skype (corporate environment and hotels spring to mind). I have never been blocked by iChat and Google Chat. My understanding is that it has to do with ports are used. I do use Adium to talk with people who are on iChat.

Sam if you want to post a screen capture of the error message I can take a look and see if it means anything logical.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact