Deadlines and preparing for the worst

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited October 18, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
As a photographer, deadlines are important. They can make the difference between being published and missing the boat entirely. Treat a deadline, not as the last opportunity to enter, but as a metric as to how soon before the deadline you will be making your entry.

Let's face it, things don't always go as planned. You may be relying on FedEx to deliver your package at the last minute. But what if your car breaks down on the way to the FedEx drop off and you miss the pickup?

What if you intend to submit via the internet and you loose power or the internet connection gets broken from a backhoe down the street? If you had waited to the last possible minute to submit, you have no time to find another computer with web access before the deadline expires.

Treat a deadline, not as the last opportunity to enter, but use it to determine how soon before that point you will enter. Take into account how long it would take you to find another computer, or deal with some unknown emergency that would prevent you from getting your entry properly made.

Prepare for the worst, and you will have a much better experience when things do go wrong.

For some real world perspectives on this, you might enjoy these two posts about things going wrong that threatened to derail my own deadlines:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=70837
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=58056

The LPS deadlines are meant to be tricky and painful. Better to learn your lesson about them here in the contest where the pain is small rather than learn it when it really counts with a real customer where the pain is quite large and potentially expensive.

Submit your entries early :D
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Shay,

Thanks for the reminder. I feel this is due to my and another post asking for input on shots that missed the deadline. I certainly will not be making that same mistake again, I got caught waiting to have my account activated, thinking that I had more time. You tricked me once. Fortunately not on something important. I expect to have a photo entered early for LPS#15. At least this time I have more than 3 days!

Regards,
    Jim
  • kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    EXCELLENT Post written in such a kind manner--Thank You!!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Sheesh, even IRL...

Miss a Deadline, Loose your Job (especially if an important client)

LPS....Miss a Deadline, loose the possiblity of Winning....
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    You must have been on some astrological plain when you wrote that post Shay.

Having just arrived home a bit over a week ago, I arived at the office this morning to find out I'm heading out again for 7 weeks, leaving Monday.

Sheesh, doesn't work know that photography is what I really do now. Work is just a sideline....mwink.gifwinkmwink.gif

Anyway, that gives me exactly, um, very little time to shoot for LPS #15 and has totally freaked me out for the 3rd semi-final (because assuming it is an open theme, I had already worked out and planned what I was going to do).

Ah well, you are the zen master of perfect post timing, but perhaps you should have written about us having plenty of time and don't sweat it, relax and shoot when you are ready. Maybe that would have changed my work schedule.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate