Options

Miramar Air Show

Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
edited March 23, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Long time no post! I haven't been on here in quite a while.

I went to the airshow for the first time on Satuday. All I can say is 'wow!'. I was very impressed. I took about 300 photos, but have only processed a small amount. Here's what I've got so far.

208590177-L.jpg
When these jets fly just under the sound barrier a cone shaped cloud will appear from the vapor. It's very cool. This was the best I could catch it. Taken with Canon 70-200 f/4L

208590327-L.jpg
One of the Thunderbirds. The Blue Angels were not flying this year. They now have the Thunderbirds. Taken with Canon 70-200 f/4L

208590509-L.jpgMore Thunderbirds. It's amazing how they can fly in formation like that. Taken with Canon 70-200 f/4L

208590898-L.jpg
Taken with the Peleng 8mm. I was at the very tip of the wing.

208592164-L.jpg
Inside the cockpit of a helicopter. Kids were allowed to go inside and play with the buttons. The guy said "just don't touch any red switches. I wouldn't want to be the next one to fly this thing!":roflTaken with Canon 17-40 f/4L

208592818-L.jpg

No, a plane did not crash, they were doing attack demonstrations with helicopters. This one I cropped quite a bit. Too many heads in the way! Taken with Canon 70-200 f/4L

209241225-L.jpg
Loooong wing! Taken with the Peleng 8mm.

209241422-L.jpg

One more Thunderbird shot for now. I wanted to make this a semi-pano so I cropped it to see just the jet. Taken with Canon 70-200 f/4L

Comments and criticizm welcomed! Thanks for looking.
-Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 17, 2007
    You done very well...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Love airshows, and love your shots thumb.gif Looks like the lighting was challenging.
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    The lighting was very challenging! It wasn't just very cloudy and grey, but it was sort of bright, too. That made it very difficult to get good all-around exposure. Of course, if only I had one of those 400mm lenses...mwink.gifrofl
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Red Bull wrote:
    Long time no post! I haven't been on here in quite a while.

I went to the airshow for the first time on Satuday. All I can say is 'wow!'. I was very impressed. I took about 300 photos, but have only processed a small amount. Here's what I've got so far.

When these jets fly just under the sound barrier a cone shaped cloud will appear from the vapor. It's very cool. This was the best I could catch it. Taken with Canon 70-200 f/4L

One of the Thunderbirds. The Blue Angels were not flying this year. They now have the Thunderbirds. Taken with Canon 70-200 f/4L

More Thunderbirds. It's amazing how they can fly in formation like that. Taken with Canon 70-200 f/4L

Taken with the Peleng 8mm. I was at the very tip of the wing.

Inside the cockpit of a helicopter. Kids were allowed to go inside and play with the buttons. The guy said "just don't touch any red switches. I wouldn't want to be the next one to fly this thing!"rolleyes1.gifTaken with Canon 17-40 f/4L

No, a plane did not crash, they were doing attack demonstrations with helicopters. This one I cropped quite a bit. Too many heads in the way! Taken with Canon 70-200 f/4L

Loooong wing! Taken with the Peleng 8mm.
    One more Thunderbird shot for now. I wanted to make this a semi-pano so I cropped it to see just the jet. Taken with Canon 70-200 f/4L

Comments and criticizm welcomed! Thanks for looking.

Hey there Red Bull........ well long time no post, but heck we all gotta go places and do things at some stage :D

You got some great shots......... the mock bombing is awesome to see,
    they do it here every time the International Airshow is held here in Australia.

I live way on the other side of the bay and my house rocks as the bombs hit the ground over there......... the fireballs are so big you can also see them over our side of the bay too.

Awesome shots Red Bull, glad to see your back posting thumb.gif
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Definately a nice job with these photos. Use of the wide angle in #4 is
    well done. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    loiloi Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    very cool; the weather looks challenging and the shots came out great:)
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." Li Po
    http://loi.smugmug.com/gallery/3539566#199917032
  • Options
    sdaztec25sdaztec25 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Very Nice Red Bull..... I was there the same day, yes the weather was challenging but it also made for some nice backgrounds.... Here are a few photos i took.... Enjoy

http://travismiller.smugmug.com/gallery/4332942_swJVw#254152818

~ Travis
    Travis Miller Photography

| Canon EOS 7D | Canon 18-135mm IS | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS |Canon 50mm f/1.4 |
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Good stuff! I really like your in-flights shots.
    Chris
  • Options
    gagodfathergagodfather Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    excellent shot of the cloud at sound barrier. great details and awsome shots. the blue angels flew 2yrs ago here in atlanta and we were there and it was my first airshow and like you i was like "wow" all day. didnt have a good camera at the time but still enjoyed the show. awsome work and post more soon.