problem saving file with PS on vista

HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited October 19, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Just got a new computer with Vista. All going fine except one big thing. I just started working in PSCS3 then trying to save a file I get this message:
Could not save as "K:\...\"file name.psd because the file is locked. Use the 'Properties' command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file. K is an external drive where I store all photos.

I can save to the C: drive, but I want to keep all photos on the external drive. I can't find anything on this in PS help. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to fix it?

Comments

• HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    I think I fixed the problem. Had to give myself permission to have control of my files. I knew it had something to do with Vista and security, but it's not easy to find a straight answer to even simple questions sometimes with software.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    HarlanBear wrote:
    I think I fixed the problem. Had to give myself permission to have control of my files. I knew it had something to do with Vista and security, but it's not easy to find a straight answer to even simple questions sometimes with software.
    I haven't used Vista.

Are you saying you actually have to change a setting, before you can save to an external hard drive?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited October 17, 2007
    Hi Sid,

Yep. I had simply plugged in my external drive and could open photo files in PSCS3 no problem. But when I went to save it back to the external drive, it said I could not because the file was "locked". After some searching, and writing the above thread, I found that I needed to grant other users permission, or "full control" as it says in the control window, to actually make changes to the external drive. This appers to be one of the security set-ups in Vista. It was not very intuitive and I had to search high and low for the solution. But once I found it, I just clicked on full control for "other users" and it added those files to my permissions. I think it has something to do with operating as "administrator" or as "user", but some other computer gurus may know more about this.

Growing pains with the new OS.
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    I run into these kinds of problems all the time with Linux. Not having admin credentials locks up a LOT of doors.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
    edited October 17, 2007
    It appears that with MS and Vista, it's really not the same problem as when you have actual division between administrator control, as perhaps granted by management in a business or IT department setting, and employees working on a system or network. It's more a matter of symantics on how MS and Vista define any user of its OS. Afterall, this is my own computer used at home and almost no one else uses it.

Okay, my wife uses it to shop, download iTunes and check her bank. And with that in mind, I will deny her admin controls if I can figure out howrolleyes1.gif
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I haven't used Vista.

Are you saying you actually have to change a setting, before you can save to an external hard drive?
    It depends on how you set up your HD when you initialized it. Even though allot of Mac functionality 'just works' The VIsta programming mind set doesn't trust the afact tahta you may know what your doing in it's OS. So it controlls maintains a tighter grip on permissions like Unix.
    HarlanBear wrote:
    I will deny her admin controls if I can figure out howrolleyes1.gif
    Just click on your start pearl in the bottom right (formerly start button) type in user accounts in the little white search box. Click on user accounts.
    You will find this little white search box is really useful and can help you navigate vista very easilly.
    i.e. don't know how to burn a DVD? just type DVD in that box it will grab every option for DVD's. Type in parent for a list of all available pearental controls. Very intuative for a MS product.

I've read allot of complaints about Vista. I love it though. I run Vista, XP, Tiger (on a Mac{duh}), Ubuntu & BSD and Vista is by far my favorite OS at this point. My only gripe is the UAC not having a white list. I'm sure this will be fixed in the forst service pack since the outcry for this was huge.

-Jon
    edited October 19, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    It depends on how you set up your HD when you initialized it. Even though allot of Mac functionality 'just works' The VIsta programming mind set doesn't trust the afact tahta you may know what your doing in it's OS. So it controlls maintains a tighter grip on permissions like Unix.

I just found it funny that with the "Home Premium Edition" I still had to give myself permission to have me operate as admin. This was done, of course, once I ran a background check on me, got me to clear myself with security, had me check my personal references and signed off on my application permissions. eek7.gif

Another favorite of mine so far is the new intuitive search engine in Vista.

But it does have some of those annoying MS/Bill Gates things about it that are less than intuitive. Just have to get used to it.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    HarlanBear wrote:
    But it does have some of those annoying MS/Bill Gates things about it that are less than intuitive. Just have to get used to it.
    That's just MS for ya.