Human Degradation

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited October 17, 2007 in People
Human-Degradation-beggar-in-Prague-101_9027-Web.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=0db3d4ad942686a592ac8030508b2eca
Anyone who knows few of my photographs will know I often photograph homeless people. However, I have never seen the homeless so self degraded as in Prague. I have titled this photograph “Human Degradation - Beggar in Prague” as it really bothered me the way these people beg there. I don’t think it was necessary for them to prostate themselves like that to get few coins for food.

Click the photo or the link above to see a bigger photograph and EXIF.

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 17, 2007
    a great photo of a hard subject-
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    good to see you back around Ted.

This is a very moving photo. The feet of passersby underscore the dramatic posture of your subject. Haunting, really. Nice work!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Greece and Turkey
    Very moving and a perfect image.

I've seen beggars in Greece and Turkey do the same - actually even in Italy. The Gypsies were laying in doorways of churches and collecting money laying down so you had to walk over them to enter.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • 12201220 Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    The image is indeed moving. Unfortuantely its a scene I come across nearly everyday here in NYC. My perspective was different however, because in most (not all) cases this pose is taken up here because the subject is too high to maintain any other position and they wind up in those prone or semi prone stances while continuing to beg.... fading in and out of conscientiousness.

So I didnt see this shot as the dire begging type stance, but something different based on my daily experiences. Obviously you were there and this situation is different. Just sharing my opinion based on the photo alone.

Regardless, I try to help the homeless in the occasional small ways I can, usually by buying them food or drink and agree that it is awful to see one so terribly deperate for help.
    Disclaimer: Just because I have an opinion, that doesnt mean I'm right.