My boss just walked in with a new 1D markIII

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited October 22, 2007 in Cameras
I think he was upset that I had a better camera than him... so he went to a local shop and picked up a 1dIII for 4300. I had played with one before briefly and it came off as super crazy nice cause I was shooting with a XTi. After using my 40D+grip for a week... IDK... for three times the price I can't honestly say I would pony up for the 1D. Sure its a REAL nice camera, but the added doo-daah's that you get don't really seem to be worth $3,000. I suppose if you REALLY needed 10fps, water/dust resistance, folders, dual cards, audio, etc...maybe?? It just seems like a crazy price for some small improvements over the 40D. I'll bring my 40D in and do a side by side comparison of the viewfinder but I don't think there's that much of a difference between the 40D's viewfinder and the 1D. Its premature to make that conclusion until after a side by side. I'll test out AF speed too once I get both of them cameras side by side with 70-200/2.8Ls bolted up. Weight is about the same w/ a grip, screen is the same size, menu's are the same, functionality is mostly identical. Heck, you can't even use EF-S lenses (err lens... as in the 10-22) with a 1d! IDK...I can honestly say I'm happy where i'm at with a 40D. :thumb

Comments

• salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    You're not just trying to convince yourself you aren't jealous, are you? rolleyes1.gif
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    actually.. i'm 100% in the other direction... i'm happy I have a 40D because I would slap myself for spending 3 times the amount on a 1D.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 17, 2007
    Primary differences between Canon 40D and 1D MKIII:

Sensitivity: The 1D MKIII is going to produce demonstrably better high ISO performance in both lower noise levels and more color gradations with subtle color tonality, like skin tones or skies.

Responsiveness: The 1D MKIII is designed for sports and photo journalistic applications. The camera is sooo much more responsive to the user's requests in terms of shooting speed and cycling speed than anything else in the Canon lineup.

Accuracy: Focus and exposure systems are greatly different from the systems in the xxD Canon systems and greatly improved. Disregarding the focus problems "some" folks have with the 1D MKIII, it is designed to provide a higher level of in-focus shots during difficult conditions of poor lighting and subject movement, all during extremely fast cycling speeds. The exposure system is likewise the most advanced in the Canon lineup with more accuracy and diversity than the xxD systems, and again, designed for the high frame rates of the 1D MKIII.

Durability: The 1D MKIII is the most weather-sealed of all the Canon bodies and the 300K shutter the most durable in the industry (along with the Nikon D3).

While it is easy to misunderstand the importance of all of these systems and sub-systems during casual personal shooting, the requirements of night-time and indoor sports photographers as well as wedding and event photographers require tools with these demanding qualities.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 17, 2007
    Just to completely contradict myself, the Canon 40D is the first in the xxD series that feels kinda like a "mini" 1D enough that I will probably purchase one to replace 2 XTs.

The 40D really is an awsome camera with it's own high rate of shooting responsiveness.
    ziggy53
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Sounds like jealousy to me rolleyes1.gif
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Ziggy summed it up. nod.gif

I have the IDMKIIn and the 40D. I love the 40D and use it more for the 1.6 crop factor in shooting small birds.....BUT it ain't no IDMKIIn, which is noticeably faster at acquiring focus and frame speed. So...I would conclude that the MKIII is even better and comparison is...well...silly.:D
    edited October 17, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Just to completely contradict myself, the Canon 40D is the first in the xxD series that feels kinda like a "mini" 1D enough that I will probably purchase one to replace 2 XTs.

The 40D really is an awsome camera with it's own high rate of shooting responsiveness.

I think this post sums it up perfectly... the 40D really does feel like a mini-1D. At 1/3rd the cost, there's A LOT in the 40D that looks, works, and feels just like the 1D mark III. I mean I grabbed the 1D and there was little to no learning curve because the 40D behaves almsot identically. Minor differences are the buttons vs dial on the top, and viewfinder item position.
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    I think this post sums it up perfectly... the 40D really does feel like a mini-1D. At 1/3rd the cost, there's A LOT in the 40D that looks, works, and feels just like the 1D mark III. I mean I grabbed the 1D and there was little to no learning curve because the 40D behaves almsot identically. Minor differences are the buttons vs dial on the top, and viewfinder item position.

I think you are wayyy too focused on the buttons and no comparison of the image quality. Ziggy is pretty much down the right path here.

I am glad you are happy. The 40D is better than 99% of the cameras in the world - and its better than most photographers - including me. But you have to go beyond the external feature set and see the output.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited October 17, 2007
    Maybe tomorror i'll take a few test images with the same lens and settings and we'll see about this IQ claim.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 18, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    Maybe tomorror i'll take a few test images with the same lens and settings and we'll see about this IQ claim.
    :lurk
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    :lurk

:slurp That popcorn is salty!:slurp

wings.gifBeer is good to wash down crow too.wings.gif
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    He's your boss so he ought to have the bigger camera. :D

Some time ago I tought it's kinda cool to run around with
    my camera and battery grip attached because ppl would
    ask if it was a 1D camera and give it looks etc.

By the time I realized how much most ppl use their gear to
    show themselves off and how little actualy made good use
    of their pro equipment I sort of let go of this equipment
    showoff.

So yea its very nice to have a 1D camera but its corny
    to be a noob at photography at the same time. :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited October 19, 2007
    I think he's having second thoughts now... he's not liking the 1D focus issue and is thinking about returning it and getting a 5D now...rolleyes1.gif
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    I think he's having second thoughts now... he's not liking the 1D focus issue and is thinking about returning it and getting a 5D now...rolleyes1.gif

So are you going to tell him that there is a new fix for the focus problem? mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited October 19, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:

1) Has he tested to see if "his" Canon 1D MKIII has the focus problems, not all do.
    2) Since he is considering the Canon 5D, how does it compare in the same circumstances that cause problems with the 1D MKIII, assuming that his MKIII has the problem at all?
    3) Is he aware of the moisture related problems that affect a fair number of 5D users (including some very respected DGrinners)?
    ziggy53
    edited October 19, 2007
    idk... to be honest with you I'm not sure what he's got a 1d for in the first place other than to have a nice camera? I wasn't aware of the 5D issues... whats up with that? If you get caught in the rain w/ it and a few drops land on the body the thing stops working? ne_nau.gif
    edited October 19, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    idk... to be honest with you I'm not sure what he's got a 1d for in the first place other than to have a nice camera? I wasn't aware of the 5D issues... whats up with that? If you get caught in the rain w/ it and a few drops land on the body the thing stops working? ne_nau.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=21535
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=528613&postcount=8
    http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14233
    ziggy53
    edited October 19, 2007
    I should add that not everyone experiences the 5D moisture problems.
    ziggy53
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Ziggy summed it up. nod.gif

I have the IDMKIIn and the 40D. I love the 40D and use it more for the 1.6 crop factor in shooting small birds.....BUT it ain't no IDMKIIn, which is noticeably faster at acquiring focus and frame speed. So...I would conclude that the MKIII is even better and comparison is...well...silly.:D
    I have the MkIIn as well, probably bought it the day before it was discontinued in favor of the III (I knew the III was coming, just didn't want to wait or pay for it). But I'm curious about the phenomenon that everybody, including this guy's boss, is walking around with one, there are abundant reviews out there, and yet B&H (IMO the only place to buy camera gear) are perpetually out of stock. Who do I have to sleep with around here to get one (from B&H of course)?
    edited October 21, 2007
    He got it at a local camera shop... a place where all those click happy camera mongers cant get at!! rolleyes1.gif

heh....
    1dmk3.gif

I'll get some ISO comparison shots up soon. I got the 1D shots which actually look VERY good a ISO3200... well... i'll just toss up the 1D and put the 40D up tomorrow.

1DIII - 70-200/2.8L, 200mm, f/5.6, 1/2000, iso 3200, 100% crop

4R5K2679.JPG
  • Morbid AndrewMorbid Andrew Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    That shot looks pretty grainy to me....

I have the 5D as my primary and I shoot everything from very fast motorcycle races and weddings. I have been caught in the rain on several occassions and taking precautions that all photographers should take when getting rained on (Shoving the camera under my shirt and running like hell)....I haven't had any moisture issues. I was thinking of upgrading to the DIII but just waiting for more reviews to come out.