Options

Challenge 33, Evoking Emotions

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited March 6, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Whether it's disgust, lust, a moment from the past.
Good or bad, this kind of place will bring out some kind of emotion.

Title: Evoking Emotions
Date:03/04/05
Camera: D Rebel
Lens: Kit lens
Shutter: 1/30
Aperture: f5.6
ISO: 1600
hand held

40433646.jpg
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    davev wrote:
    Whether it's disgust, lust, a moment from the past.
    Good or bad, this kind of place will bring out some kind of emotion.

Title: Evoking Emotions
    Date:03/04/05
    Camera: D Rebel
    Lens: Kit lens
    Shutter: 1/30
    Aperture: f5.6
    ISO: 1600
    hand held
    nice shot.....I think this could use a human element though, a capture of a stripper coming out of the club all dressed normally looking haggard and worn out would make for a nice contrast. don't know if you could get that shot though without getting pulled off the pavement by some big burly bouncer with more tattoos than you can count bashing your camera into a million pieces thinking you're some kind of stalker but hey, if you're brave.....lol, but you'd have to do it around 3 or 4 in the morning. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    I like the whirl of the cars past the place, as if the place is really popular so it would be cool to zoom in on that section of the photo and leave the parked cars out of it. I don't know if it will work but its worth a shot.
    I don't know if it evokes any emotion for me but what I would try to do is get closer to the building. Actually I would pick that doorway in the left hand side of the shot and wait for when there are a lot of people coming and going and take your shot. The blur of the people and the big sex world sign would be an example of the kind of world we now have.... but I guess it doesn't help evoke emotion either. I think you have a great subject. Work with it some more and post it. I'd love to see more shots.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Not really getting what I wanted.
    davev wrote:

40433646.jpg
    Thanks for the help. I tried to get a few people in the pic, but I didn't
    feel comfortable standing outside this place with a camera.

I'm just not able to get what I really wanted out of this place.
    I went back tonight to try again, but with the parked cars and street lights,
    I'm not getting what I see in my mind, and I'm not going back at 2:00am.
    I think this shot turned out better than the first one, but not by much.

Thanks again d.f. and Ashley for your help.

40470977.jpg
    dave.

• Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Second shot has a pleasing composition, and overall a lot better than the first. You removed the unnecessary and focused on your subject. This is a really cool shot.

But I still think it lacks emotion. I understand where you are going with the shot, but you said it yourself when you started this thread: "This place will bring out some kind of emotion". You're right, but I dont think you've captured it yet. You need to find someone, anyone with a reaction, and see how many shots you can pump off while they cross the path of the strip club.

Thats my best suggestion! Good Luck! :D
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    I like the second shot a lot better. The close up adds alot more character but still not a strong emotion. So, I still have to second freeup on some people in the picture. But I can understand how uncomfortable you are with the place. Actually, you're probably braver than I am. Good job!
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    FreeUps wrote:
    Second shot has a pleasing composition, and overall a lot better than the first. You removed the unnecessary and focused on your subject. This is a really cool shot.

But I still think it lacks emotion. I understand where you are going with the shot, but you said it yourself when you started this thread: "This place will bring out some kind of emotion". You're right, but I dont think you've captured it yet. You need to find someone, anyone with a reaction, and see how many shots you can pump off while they cross the path of the strip club.

Thats my best suggestion! Good Luck! :D
    Yep, I agree, I didn't get what I wanted. But on the bright side, I heard on the
    news that 2 people got mugged a few blocks from here on the night that I went
    shooting, I wasn't one of them.

dave.
    dave.

• Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    I like the second shot a lot better. The close up adds alot more character but still not a strong emotion. So, I still have to second freeup on some people in the picture. But I can understand how uncomfortable you are with the place. Actually, you're probably braver than I am. Good job!
    Ashley

Thanks Ashley.

I think I took this pic as far as I'm going to. At least I went back and got
    what I think is a better shot. For me that's a big step forward.

Thanks again. (to you and d.f. for the push)

dave.
    dave.