Robin (Maternity Session)

DLutzDLutz Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited October 19, 2007 in People
Well it's been awhile since I shot her graduation photo's but she is back in all her motherly charm and glow... I tried to get something a bit different but still capture her beauty. I know it wont be long now till I have another subject for the studio, I was told they think it is going to be a boy (Aiden is the name they have chosen) these are the ones I edited first.
Tell me what you think?

IMG_8957-edit.jpg

IMG_8941-edit.jpg

IMG_8965-edit.jpg

IMG_8855-edit.jpg
--Daniel
"Capturing Moments in Time Since 1975"
For more of my images check out my photo blog:

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Honestly the first 3 do not do a whole lot for me. There is nothing technically wrong with them, they just don't jump at me. Of these #2 is my least favorite. Something about the upside downness of it, and I think a bit more profile to show her abdoman would have helped me. I am sure though that your client will be very very pleased. The conversions are first rate!!!

As for the last one.......I absolutely love it!!!
  • nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Thanks for sharing. i have a maternity shoot on saturday!

I usually shoot the heart picture from the front but i think now i might have to try it from the side.

#1~ like everything but the top 1/3. Seems like she needs more/less light on her face.

#2&3~ not my fav. Seem very unnatural.

#4~ Great shot. Love it! I like how she is in her normal clothing and not a white sheet. I find the sheet very distracting in the other shots.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Excellent
    Fabulous poses and I love the light selection. Truly masterful.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Great use of lighting and truly wonderful conversions. I have a maternity session coming up and have been trying to come up with some decent poses. Not an easy task. I like alot about #1. I wish there was a little better light on her face and that her expression had been different. I would have attempted some different looks (something more playful...). I like the composition in this one. #2 I don't like the upside-down approach. Just doesn't do much for body or face. #3 I like the lighting and the side-view is appropriate, but a different placement of her arms (no elbows pointed towards camera) might have improved this one. #4 has been done alot, but you've done a very nice job composing and lighting to make up for it! I have to agree with someone else's comment about the sheeting. I prefer her in her own clothes, or perhaps something a little softer and less glaring. Overall you did a super job and I would love to see more! thumb.gif
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I too usually see the heart picture taken from the front, I like the side view as well, great shots!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    DLutz wrote:
    I tried to get something a bit different but still capture her beauty. Tell me what you think?

Daniel, thank you for stating your goal thumb.gif

(disclaimer: I couldn't pull these shots off, so take my comments accordingly)

It's very clear in these photographs that you are very well versed at studio lighting, posing, and post work. You set the bar high to shoot toward. bowdown.gif
    Your BW conversion is stellar.

I think this is a wonderful picture, but your lighting seems to draw my attention more to the little one's home than to mom's face/beauty. (your stated goal: "capture her beauty")

IMG_8957-edit.jpg

This shot does not work for me due to the lighting. The soft wraparound lighting and camera position makes her belly look, not flat, but if this were the only pic I saw, I would have to work hard to absolutely know she is about to pop.
    IMG_8941-edit.jpg

I like this picture. My only nit is the lighting on her hip/back is competing with the expertly lit front/side.

IMG_8965-edit.jpg

I would have liked to see the far hands also in complete focus.

IMG_8855-edit.jpg
    Randy
  • DLutzDLutz Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Thanks for all the great input I am happy to take any and all comments into consideration for my next shoot :)
    --Daniel
    "Capturing Moments in Time Since 1975"
    For more of my images check out my photo blog: