Fun shoot & beautiful model

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited October 25, 2007 in People
I had a shoot this weekend that I thought you would all enjoy.
This is an old friend from highschool. She wanted some pictures to give to her husband for Christmas and loves the 50's look- which is rather difficult for her to pull off with her haircut and tatoo, but still I thought they were cute. Of course C & C are ALWAYS welcome and appreciated.
209485606-S.jpg
209485805-S.jpg
3. (I'll clone out the black pillows if she buys this one)
209357827-M.jpg
209535707-S.jpg
209550255-S.jpg
209574010-S.jpg
209576747-S.jpg
209585427-S.jpg

So, anyway... I would love to hear what you think.
We had total fun catching up on the old days and it always makes it easy when the model is lovely, eh!?:D

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Wow these are awesome. I like them all, but am really drawn to #5. I get the feeling I shouldn't be drawn to that one....but I am. Kind of odd the chair out in the lawn.....the fog......and a knock out gorgeous woman. It rocks. That chair doesn't belong there....but I like it!!!clap.gif

Have you considered doing some funky retro treatments in PP? Maybe some sublt cross processing sepia blends, or desaturated color with some lens vignetting? ........just a thought that might take the retro theme to a different level.
    edited October 17, 2007
    I had to blab again.....these skin tones are rightious!!!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

Have you considered doing some funky retro treatments in PP? Maybe some sublt cross processing sepia blends, or desaturated color with some lens vignetting? ........just a thought that might take the retro theme to a different level.

Hey thanks! I totally did that on some of the other photos that didn't stand on their own quite as well as these. I know exactly what you mean and love your suggestion!
    edited October 17, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I had to blab again.....these skin tones are rightious!!!

Really? I was worried about some- especially 3. I think I need to tone down the yellows a bit more.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    I really like how these came out, not just because the girl is attractive mwink.gif, but I really enjoyed the way you composed your shots. If you don't notice, the photos came out better when you shot from above rather than below (#6 for example, she looks really cute on that one) or head-on (#4 for examlple, not as enticing the latter), you should try doing more of those. On #8 you shot below though, and it looks great, love the smile/face-expression she has, sideways shot works and her position is perfect.

Watchout for cut-out parts though like in #3, better to overshoot the entire scene and crop later than shoot too close and lose the ability to crop out.

Overall, awesome shoot!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    These are really fun!!! I bet her hubby is going to love this Christmas gift!!! thumb.gif
    edited October 17, 2007
    Really? I was worried about some- especially 3. I think I need to tone down the yellows a bit more.

That one looks a little warmer than the rest, but I like it as is.
  • 12201220 Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Great shots! Thats a pretty lady and a lucky hubby!

5 is too wacky for me, it just doesnt fit. Odd chair to have in the middle of a field. bleh

but 7 is a big winner for me. I just love the feel of that one.... the b&w, the way she and her outfit pops off the floor.... very nice.

4 doesnt work for her, but 6 shows her beauty.

well done.

clap.gif
    Disclaimer: Just because I have an opinion, that doesnt mean I'm right.
    edited October 18, 2007
    Wow THANKS!
    mr peas wrote:
    I really like how these came out, not just because the girl is attractive mwink.gif, but I really enjoyed the way you composed your shots. If you don't notice, the photos came out better when you shot from above rather than below (#6 for example, she looks really cute on that one) or head-on (#4 for examlple, not as enticing the latter), you should try doing more of those. On #8 you shot below though, and it looks great, love the smile/face-expression she has, sideways shot works and her position is perfect.

Watchout for cut-out parts though like in #3, better to overshoot the entire scene and crop later than shoot too close and lose the ability to crop out.

Overall, awesome shoot!

Thanks so much for your detailed response.... I am so glad that you liked them. Composition is something that I have definately been working on.... and working on... and working on... So it is awesome to hear that I am getting somewhere. You know, you can only read so much about it and then you have to get out there and do it! Thanks for the comments and encouragement! I really (REALLY) appreciated it!
    edited October 18, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    These are really fun!!! I bet her hubby is going to love this Christmas gift!!! thumb.gif
    I hope so! She is so excited because they have been married for 7 years and every year he figures out her gift! So this time, she is sure he'll never guess. :D
    She also thinks that she can't pull off sexy. Cute is something she is confident that she can do but sexy she thinks is beyond her. So I set out to prove her thoughts on the matter bunk. I think I did, but then again I am of the wrong persuasion to be too sure.ne_nau.gif
    edited October 18, 2007
    1220 wrote:
    Great shots! Thats a pretty lady and a lucky hubby!

5 is too wacky for me, it just doesnt fit. Odd chair to have in the middle of a field. bleh

but 7 is a big winner for me. I just love the feel of that one.... the b&w, the way she and her outfit pops off the floor.... very nice.

4 doesnt work for her, but 6 shows her beauty.

well done.

clap.gif

I love this kind of comments! Things I did right.... things I did wrong... Yay! I can get even better because of your comment! Thanks so much for taking the time to write this! thumb.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I really like 8, 3, and 4. Wish there was more of her red shoes showing in 5 instead of more tree. Maybe could have shot from higher up and a lil closer? Also #1 her whole reflection in the mirror. Had to look a couple times to realize it was a mirror. Maybe would be nice to see her reflection in the mirror looking at the camera also.
    Her husband will love them.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited October 18, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    I really like 8, 3, and 4. Wish there was more of her red shoes showing in 5 instead of more tree. Maybe could have shot from higher up and a lil closer? Also #1 her whole reflection in the mirror. Had to look a couple times to realize it was a mirror. Maybe would be nice to see her reflection in the mirror looking at the camera also.
    Her husband will love them.

More like this?209480807-M.jpg
    She just hadn't put the mirror down yet and I forgot to tell her to do so until the next shot. But I still loved the way that one turned out.

This one is a replica of some drawing that she loved and we added the mirror to make it just that much more interesting.
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Wow these are great I am sure her hubby will be thrilled!!! I love #6 & #7 just beautiful =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Beautiful images Heather. I really love the retro theme. Great job!!!!clap.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    More like this?209480807-M.jpg
    She just hadn't put the mirror down yet and I forgot to tell her to do so until the next shot. But I still loved the way that one turned out.

This one is a replica of some drawing that she loved and we added the mirror to make it just that much more interesting.

thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited October 20, 2007
    Thanks Stephanie and Travis- I really appreciate your comments! I think her husband WILL like them. AND if nothing else we had lots of fun making them!:D
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Beautiful photos! I would like to know what your PP is on these. Do you mind sharing? clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited October 21, 2007
    You betcha
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Beautiful photos! I would like to know what your PP is on these. Do you mind sharing? clap.gif
    Just processed from raw in camera raw. (To be honest I only opened one in photoshop- and then only to mask out a bit of yellow reflection from the yellow tractor.) The rest I just either cranked the contrast in the b & w or in the color shots I slightly desaturated and then cranked the contrast and put a slight vignette. Nothing special really.ne_nau.gif
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Some critiue
    I had a shoot this weekend that I thought you would all enjoy.
    This is an old friend from highschool. She wanted some pictures to give to her husband for Christmas and loves the 50's look- which is rather difficult for her to pull off with her haircut and tatoo, but still I thought they were cute. Of course C & C are ALWAYS welcome and appreciated.
    209485606-S.jpg
    Sorry, Heather. I have not that much time - but I'd like to write some c&c - your photographs are very attractive!

I like the point of shooting. Background.
    I'd recommend you to hide her legs - esp. knees. The relief of the right one makes a Line of Power.
    (see my Monthly Asingment MA 2.11 Part II. Composition 1.). And this one is not smooth enough along with all other lines. And yes, you cant use DOF here, cause your excellent background will be blured. So, maybe another pose for her...

209485805-S.jpg
    I think that I'd critique here two things: hair on the left eye and expression. I can see two kinds of seeing this photo. 1. The viewer is a mirror. 2. She looked aside.
    In the first case. her expression looks not natural for me.
    In the second the lipstick looks not wanted in the composition.

I invite you to take part in our MA
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=635539#poststop
    where we are talking about such things.

I'd recommended you to use some poses with her hands up (on a head, near a head, under the hair) with this model
    Sorry again for not having time...
    Yuri
    edited October 22, 2007
    Sorry, Heather. I have not that much time - but I'd like to write some c&c - your photographs are very attractive!

I like the point of shooting. Background.
    I'd recommend you to hide her legs - esp. knees. The relief of the right one makes a Line of Power.
    (see my Monthly Asingment MA 2.11 Part II. Composition 1.). And this one is not smooth enough along with all other lines. And yes, you cant use DOF here, cause your excellent background will be blured. So, maybe another pose for her...

I think that I'd critique here two things: hair on the left eye and expression. I can see two kinds of seeing this photo. 1. The viewer is a mirror. 2. She looked aside.
    In the first case. her expression looks not natural for me.
    In the second the lipstick looks not wanted in the composition.

I invite you to take part in our MA
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=635539#poststop
    where we are talking about such things.

I'd recommended you to use some poses with her hands up (on a head, near a head, under the hair) with this model
    Sorry again for not having time...
    Yuri

Yuri- don't apologise for not having time- I am just extremely flattered that you took the time to post this much! As to posing her with her hand up, she was really akward and not so willing to do that kind of pose. I tried a couple of times for her to use her hands and it looked strange because she was so uncomfortable with it.

Her knees do look a bit bumpy in that photo, but I am wondering if it could be pp to get a more smooth look. I honestly hadn't noticed that- so thanks for pointing it out!

I am going to have to go read your monthly assignments. I think it would be very valuable! Thanks for the invitation!:D

Heather
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Wow what a great series Heather! clap.gifI think you did a fantastic job getting her to relax and have fun. I love the expression and composition of #6. But #7 is my absolute favorite, just love the angle and the overall feel. Very sexy! Awesome job on the "pinup" retro feel. I am so jealous!!! I want to do a session like this! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited October 22, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Wow what a great series Heather! clap.gifI think you did a fantastic job getting her to relax and have fun. I love the expression and composition of #6. But #7 is my absolute favorite, just love the angle and the overall feel. Very sexy! Awesome job on the "pinup" retro feel. I am so jealous!!! I want to do a session like this! :D

Thanks for your super nice comment! She told me that she didn't think she could pull off sexy (cute she could do, but not sexy) and I told her I would do my darndest to show that side of her in the photos. Thanks for the compliment! Makes me feel like I can do this!

This kind of session WAS really fun. I love to shoot kids but they are so wiggly compared to adults. It was a true treat to do this one. Go hunt down somebody that you know and make them pose for you! Then you'll have it for your portfolio and get more sessions like it!
  • rundadarrundadar Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Fun shoot indeed!
    You've done excellent job here. Really.

My favourites are the 'sexy' / 'raunchy' ones. The thing is - that 'sexi-ness' / 'raunchy-ness' is not cheesy in any way and is not too 'confident' either (which makes it doubly interesting/sexy).

As for the 'cute'/'nice' ones - I am fairly certain, your model will be pleased with them, but for me they lack originality and emotion somewhat - too 'garden variety', nice and all...

PS very (very!) religiously incorrect tatoo she's got, btw :)
    http://rundadar.smugmug.com

"...turtles are great speed enthusiasts, which is natural"

J.Cortazar

edited October 23, 2007
    rundadar wrote:
    You've done excellent job here. Really.

My favourites are the 'sexy' / 'raunchy' ones. The thing is - that 'sexi-ness' / 'raunchy-ness' is not cheesy in any way and is not too 'confident' either (which makes it doubly interesting/sexy).

As for the 'cute'/'nice' ones - I am fairly certain, your model will be pleased with them, but for me they lack originality and emotion somewhat - too 'garden variety', nice and all...

PS very (very!) religiously incorrect tatoo she's got, btw :)

Thanks... I think. Glad you liked them. Or some of them... or whatever.
    rolleyes1.gif Your comment is much appreciated!

Too bad I don't read Hebrew.. or whatever language it is... what does it say?ne_nau.gif
  • rundadarrundadar Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    welcome :)
    Thanks... I think. Glad you liked them. Or some of them... or whatever.
    rolleyes1.gif Your comment is much appreciated!

Too bad I don't read Hebrew.. or whatever language it is... what does it say?ne_nau.gif

The tatoo contains the name of God - which is one big heck of a "NO-NO" to a religious jew.

The third commandment, you know :) A tatoo would probably qualify as a 'misuse of the name of Lord' :)

I, myself, am not religious at all, though - so I don't mind :)
    http://rundadar.smugmug.com

"...turtles are great speed enthusiasts, which is natural"

J.Cortazar

edited October 24, 2007
    That is really interesting. I thought that maybe it was some kind of swear word.

No, a name of God fits her better.
    Glad it didn't offend you.:D
  • Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Great work. I love #5. Great composition and background!
    edited October 24, 2007
    Hey thanks!
    As you can read, I got mixed comments on that one!
    Glad you are on the "love it" side!
  • ightenhillightenhill Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Excellent series.. have to say I am drawn to the final two for some reason, they seem to remind me of something and press the right genre buttons for me.

Some great information in the thread as well :)

Danny