Options

Photography Class

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited October 20, 2007 in Finishing School
When I get the opportunity, I like to take what ever photography happens to be offered at the local community college. Currently I'm taking a class from 40 year Seattle Times photographer Greg Gilbert. His class has been great, as a photojournalist, his style is all about capturing the moment "photojournalistic style" or street photography. His approach is all about ALL (Angle, Lighting, Lens).

Today though he brought in travel photograher Cliff Hollenbeck. Cliff's pictures were amazing; the guy has shot images of some of the most beautiful places and people on every corner of the world. But something that Cliff Hollenbeck said really made me think (I'll paraphrase, since I don't have good notes) "Its not about the pictures you shoot, its about the pictures you show".

I suppose this could be taken a couple of different ways, you could say only show your very best pictures, or as I am choosing to view it--if you don't show your pictures who cares how many or what pictures you take (glass half full :D).

So I am commiting myself to showing more of my images on dgrin (for better or worse :D).
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited October 18, 2007
    Some interesting points raised.

If you had to cull your existing galleries, how much do you think your
    keeper rate would be?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    So I am commiting myself to showing more of my images on dgrin (for better or worse :D).

clap.gifBring it on!!

I have to say that I adopted that latter sentiment in the last year or so. I used to push everything into a single directory that was viewable by pretty much anyone, but now I only keep presentable ones up for the public. I wasn't sure at first if that was an honest/accurate representation of my skills as an artist, but my theory on that is as long as you think that you can continue to create presentable shots, then it must be so. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I wasn't sure at first if that was an honest/accurate...
    I think it's fair and honest because it's your representation. Not mine or
    anyone else's.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Some interesting points raised.

If you had to cull your existing galleries, how much do you think your
    keeper rate would be?

Right now I have 12,688 images on initialphotography.smugmug.com of that only a small fraction are visable (and that 12,688 represents a fraction of my images on harddrives, DVDs, CDs, and in shoe boxes). Its a constant struggle to catagorize and keyword those images in a meaningful way as that number grows. I'm having to constantly copy, move, reogranize, and delete those images. But that's not what I'm really talking about.

What I want to do is present more of my work on dgrin (and other public forums), and (hopefully) get feed back, and use that to hopefully improve myself as a photographer. Of the pictures I publicly display on my site I figure I only show off 1% which definately isn't representative of my photography as a whole. The ultimate goal being to start using the resources of dgrin and its users to better improve myself as a photographer.

What's the point of taking a picture of you don't show it. ne_nau.gif Sounds simple, but so often I take the picture, decide its a keeper, and yet I never show it to anyone.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    Andy taught me something. If you notice when I shoot, I chimp in my downtime.

I remove a lot of stuff in the field but I still take home a bunch too. I need to
    get better at getting rid of stuff. I'm almost too brutal but it makes for less work
    after the fact.

BTW, not saying it is right or wrong. It just works for me.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Andy taught me something. If you notice when I shoot, I chimp in my downtime.

I remove a lot of stuff in the field but I still take home a bunch too. I need to
    get better at getting rid of stuff. I'm almost too brutal but it makes for less work
    after the fact.

BTW, not saying it is right or wrong. It just works for me.

I like that idea, and I need to make that more of a habit. With my previous camera it was difficult to really judge an image because my LCD was tiny. My new camera makes it a lot easier.

Yet I still make fun of a friend of mine who is notorious for chimping and deleting his bad images, then missing *the shot* because he was deleting his last shot.rolleyes1.gif
    Andrew

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Just how many is enough?
    I try to balance over editing to just turning my galleries into a dumping site one can't get thru. I can be too critical or fall too much in love with one image, so I need to expand what I put out there for more & better comments.

Several people quote Ansel Adams "12 images is a good year's work" (paraphrased). I was reading an interview (I think in PDN) and the photographer's take was a little different and ambitious.

Where does this lead to? For me, I have set a personal goal of 1 image a week. At the end of the year, I should have 52 good images - a nice body of work, something to create a decent portfolio from. Of those I want to print 12 18x24 images.

Believe me, I have a whole lot more than 52 images in my personal galleries. But my goal is to go out shooting once a week, try to be creative in the process and get one image that stands out. Just 1.

I also have discovered that it is best if I edit/cull a while after shooting, since I can be a little more critical when I'm emotionally removed from the moment. Some weeks I can't get out. Some times I get 2 or 3 keepers, other times none. But the times I get none give me new ideas or I learn why they are :puke and what I need to try and do differently next time.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    For me I think its about deleting the obviously bad pics in camera, then going though the pictures in LR full screen and getting rid of more. Then I usually still have too many to deal with.

I don't know about 12 good images a year (would Ansel Adams have said that if he shot digital?) or 52 good images a year. But everytime I go out for a specific shoot I would like to have one image from that shoot that is worthy of printing at least 8 x 12 if not larger (all though it doesn't always work out that way).

Ultimately I think I end up doing half a dozen large prints of my pictures a year (however I'm starting to run out of room to hang pictures rolleyes1.gif).
    Andrew

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    But everytime I go out for a specific shoot I would like to have one image from that shoot that is worthy of printing at least 8 x 12 if not larger (all though it doesn't always work out that way).rolleyes1.gif

I think we are on the same page. 1 decent shot per outing. Your 6 and my 12 large prints are almost the same. My point was to get out and shoot at least once a week, exercising those creative brain waves. Nothing more.

RE: Ansel & digital. OK, so maybe he would bump it up to 13 prints a year.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac