"Recent Galleries" Home Page "widget"?

darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
edited April 20, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I know that SmugMug has said before that they're reluctant to add too many features for fear of alienating basic users. But my god, have you seen the Photo Tool drop-down menu lately? Talk about bloat! :-}

But seriously, would it really be that confusing to newbies if SmugMug offered a "Recently Uploaded" or "Recently Updated" home page "widget" that people could just choose from the Home Page tab?

I think some people like their categories to stay put (sort by arrange), but would still like to have "new stuff" show up on the front page. Sure, it would also help if the Updated timestamps for categories didn't always reflect the first gallery in a category, instead of all galleries, but still, that forces people to read the fine print to see what's new.

What do y'all think? I've come up with a really hackish way to convert your Featured Galleries into Recent Galleries, but it requires a Unix server to run a Perl script from every hour. I doubt the majority of users have that at their disposal.

Comments

• DisneyswDisneysw Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    darryl wrote:

But seriously, would it really be that confusing to newbies if SmugMug offered a "Recently Uploaded" or "Recently Updated" home page "widget" that people could just choose from the Home Page tab?

I second it.

I find this feature useful on PBASE (the recently added function). Actually the PBASE method, which shows what galleries have been modified & when, is pretty useful as it allows visitors to judge how frequently the owner updates their galleries.

Gareth
    www.eyeforphotos.co.uk
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I would love that. I do it manually using "featured galleries." Used some customization to change the wording to "new galleries." Every time I add a gallery (every week), I feature it as #1 and change the previous gallery to featured gallery #2. I would to be able to just ask it to show the two newest galleries on my homepage. Not a big deal, but it seems like an easy enough addition.

Dave
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Damn, I've spent way too many hours mucking around with customizations tonight. I forgot that I had already started this thread before I [post=674396]posted this feature request[/post].

Oh well, I guess it's "official" now, for whatever that's worth.

Anybody else want to vote with a "me too"?
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Oh yeah. I wrote my [post=688574]own hack[/post] to do this. It uses Featured Galleries, and it doesn't include album descriptions because those aren't in the RSS feed (*&!#%!)
  • omonra21omonra21 Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    I'd like to bump this request please
    I see this request has been raised more than a year ago. I recently joined myself and found myself wishing precisely this. Well - I search the forums to see if it's been addressed and looks like it was (addressed but not implemented)

It seems like such a basic function to add - really just an improvement on the timeline. Instead of showing pictures as a timeline, just show albums in a strip (like thumbnails on the bottom of a slideshow). This way we could have our categories set up AND have a running horizontal strip of albums sorted by the upload time.
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    I manually maintain a "What's New" (sub-)category, and use gallery redirects to place my new galleries there