Still Working on the Football Pix

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited October 20, 2007 in Sports
I am actively cropping closer than ever before, thanks to the encouragement here. C&C appreciated.

I dont know it these are as good, but #25 is my own son - and this is his first varsity catch! He's a 9th grader playing varsity, so he doesnt see much playing time, but sure loves the team.

Anyway, waiting for those Canon rebates to get a better lens. I have switched to the Cf4-3 back * button and after some relearning, I do think it improves sports photos.

Thanks to everyone for their support and advice - that's what this forum is great about.

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Hi Zanotti,

Great set of captures there. I think you've got the cropping down pretty well!

Good expresions and nice exposure. Well done!
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    agreed. I think the one of your son and the one right before it are excellent - close enough that there aren't distractions, but wide enough that they show the action. And the faces are wonderful. Great exposure, even of the faces under the helmets, i'm guessing this was an overcast day for such difussed light?
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    My friend,

I think you've got it going on now thumb.gif

These look good. I know you've worked hard at getting to this level, and it's showing. Congratulations!
    Randy
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Yes! Very nice!

209649934-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
  • gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    These are all great shots!!! But I have a question. I understand cropping and getting in close, but if the picture is cropped, won't that reduce the size of the image which would limit the size print I can sell?

I have been taking pictures of 7-12yo football and they all "bunch" together most of the time, so cropping is difficult for these players.

FYI...I usually shoot at the highest image size and in RAW...Sony a100

Thanks
    Ed
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • caughtnactioncaughtnaction Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Re: Football Shots
    Your cropping is right on and the shots are great! Looks like your on your way to making some good extra money!! KS
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    My friend,

I think you've got it going on now thumb.gif

These look good. I know you've worked hard at getting to this level, and it's showing. Congratulations!

Thanks to Randy and all others on the nice comments. I appreciate the effort all of you have put in in commenting and offering suggestions on how to improve my work.

To me, this is the value of a place like DigitalGrin, its the ability to shoot, post, critique, and improve that makes the site great. I love digital too, for the flexibility it offers and the cahnce to shorted hte lag time between shooting and learning.

Sometimes, its just meyhem out there:

209547767-L.jpg

Its a process - and a fun one.

Thanks to all again,

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Hey Zan, I am not sure I have seen any of your shots prior to these, but I gotta say these are some great shots!! You definitely have a firm grasp of sports photography and these shots are a testament to that. Keep up the great work!! John
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Top shots ! Personally i feel for most sports where possible...you must be able to see the eyes as they tell the photos story and you got that thumb.gif