Options

Ch. 33 Re-Post

purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited March 6, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I do realize only myself and my sister are in these entries, but I'm only 16 and that basically leaves me to my sister to photograph (since she's the only one willing) and then there's me. That did put me off at first, but oh well, eh? I'm working with what I have, and that's that. clap.gif Variety will come in a few months time, I'm sure!!

I actually have a TON of credible entries, so I definitely have things to fall back on. ne_nau.gif I've got Curious, Goofy, Passionate, Amused, and Secretive, but I think that's too much to put in a post. Plus I'm embarassed that the photos' subjects are the same. uhoh2.gif If you want to see them I'll post the link to my public photobucket account.

pleased.jpg

frustration.jpg
Purified Photography
Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 5, 2005
    Kelly: These are really beautiful. You have a good eye and a terrific talent.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Kelly,

Do not be self-conscious about your subjects (you and your sister). Have you seen lynnesite's photos? Almost exclusively horses. Or harryb. All he shoots is birds. You do a great job with what you have, keep exploring and experimenting. Like I said before, I like your eye.

The color balance on the fist is off. Does your camera have custom white balance? Or can you set it to tungsten when shooting indoors instead of automatic? There was a thread on removing color cast...I'll try to find it and post it. That might help.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    Here's that post on color cast.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    I like your work Kelly, I would like to see the link to the rest in the gallery.

I think both of these show emotion quite well.

I agree that the color balance seems off a bit in the first one but everything else, focus, exposure, compositon etc looks spot on in both.
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Both photos are really quite remarkable, Kelly! For this challenge, though, I think the 2nd one would be the better choice as an entry. As others have said, you have no need to apologize for anything! Your artistry is top notch...and you and your sister make very good subjects, since you are both able to really convey honest emotions for the camera. I can only wish that I had as good as subjects, Laughing.gif! My 4 yr. old grandson dodges me now whenever I try to take his photo, my daughter is uncooperative, my husband hates having his photo taken...and no one would really want to see photos of me since I don't even like to see photos of myself, Laughing.gif! (I am soooo NOT photogenic! :uhoh ). Be glad you are young and pretty, and creative! A wonderful combination of attributes by any book...

You remind me a lot of another younger photographer barely just past her teens now who also started out very much like you are. She and her sister were also her only subjects at the beginning...and her photos were astonishing in the depth, artistry, composition and emotion they portrayed. She had that certain something where you know artistic genius resides within her. I think you are very much like her...

~Nee 15524779-Ti.gif
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    I agree with the above, Kelly, number 2 is the better of these. Don't be afraid to post everything possible. You're only 16 and you've got a lot of great photography years ahead of you, but that doesn't mean you should be holding back at all cause of your age. There are plenty of subjects out there to photograph, including people. Don't show you're modesty about your own shots and they will respect you for it, no matter how the actual shot comes out. :):
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Wow, thank you for that Nee. :)

Greaper, I'll just post my other attempts here: :)

28b55e8c.jpg

I'm not sure if 'Guarded' fits exactly. Any suggestions?ne_nau.gif

d0896d0d.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Kelly,

I like all three shots.

I think the middle one shows the most emotion, and I like the warmth of your smile along with the shot itself.

The color shot is also suffering from color balance and saturation problems from the source light and white balance that you're using.

You know, you could spend the rest of your life taking self-portraits, IMO. Might not become a career, but the discipline of shooting a great self-portrait is an admirable one.
    Moderator Emeritus