A foggy ferry boat ride

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited October 20, 2007 in Landscapes
Last weekend I was suppose to meet my photography class in the town of Edmonds, Washington. The goal was to put together a photo essay of the town, the inspiration we were given were some classic photo essays from the 50s by W. Eugene Smith.

I had this great idea to get there extra early take the ferry from Edmonds across Puget Sound to Kingston, then get the sunrise from the ferry as it returned to Edmonds.

As I arrived the first light of dawn could be seen to the East. But by the time I boarded the ferry, every thing was completely fogged in (life in the Pacific Northwest :rolleyes).

I still managed to get a few good pictures of fog + the lights of Edmonds. C&C welcome!

Loading the ferry in Edmonds...
209425127-L.jpg

looking back at Edmonds as the ferry leaves...
209425414-XL.jpg
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Hey Andrew, great to see you're already posting more shots. :)

I think you did the right thing, getting up a little earlier to take the scenic route. Fog isn't all bad. I love the mood it presents in landscapes.

Your first shot seems like a snapshot to me: really busy, lots of subjects, and depicts the scene as you saw it.

The second has a lot of great potential, I think. It's a little underexposed/soft but I think with a crop to make it portrait oriented the focus could be brought more to the person on the ferry and the receding pylons. The use of negative space can be advantageous here, particularly given the murkiness of the fog. But there's maybe a bit too much excess on the left and right sides?

Keep 'em coming. I'm eager to see your PJ shots from that day!
  • Aaron JorsAaron Jors Registered Users Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Wow thats some dense fog.
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey Andrew, great to see you're already posting more shots. :)

I think you did the right thing, getting up a little earlier to take the scenic route. Fog isn't all bad. I love the mood it presents in landscapes.

Your first shot seems like a snapshot to me: really busy, lots of subjects, and depicts the scene as you saw it.

Funny, that was the instructors favorite of my bunch.
    schmoo wrote:
    The second has a lot of great potential, I think. It's a little underexposed/soft but I think with a crop to make it portrait oriented the focus could be brought more to the person on the ferry and the receding pylons. The use of negative space can be advantageous here, particularly given the murkiness of the fog. But there's maybe a bit too much excess on the left and right sides?

I agree, I'll give it a try.
    schmoo wrote:
    Keep 'em coming. I'm eager to see your PJ shots from that day!

Once it started getting lighter out and the city lights weren't lighting the fog anymore it the pictures really weren't coming to me. Try as I might, I couldn't get past a grey wet sleepy Pacific Northwest day...

a wet day...
    207830569-M-1.jpg

a sleepy day...
    207831615-M-1.jpg

a grey day...
    209427863-M.jpg
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    [. . .]Try as I might, I couldn't get past a grey wet sleepy Pacific Northwest day...

a wet day...
    207830569-M-1.jpg

a sleepy day...
    207831615-M-1.jpg

a grey day...
    209427863-M.jpg

Love these! They make a great set and the wet sleepy grey day just works!
    Travis
    edited October 18, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Love these! They make a great set and the wet sleepy grey day just works!

Thanks!

I have a trip planned to the Washington coast this weekend, I'll probably end up with more of the same (only along with wet, grey and sleepy you can add windy).
    Andrew

• JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    I really like that second ferry shot!:ivar
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • twinsmomtwinsmom Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Funny, that was the instructors favorite of my bunch.

It's mine too. I'm wondering what it would be like if you had a portrait crop. Mind if I play?
    edited October 19, 2007
    twinsmom wrote:
    It's mine too. I'm wondering what it would be like if you had a portrait crop. Mind if I play?

Feel free. Make my photography look good.
    Andrew

• twinsmomtwinsmom Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Feel free. Make my photography look good.

Please tell me you didn't take it that way!!:cry I really like that shot and just wanted to play with the crop but didn't want to step on any toes. I also love that bike shot!! You've shared great pictures and I just like playing with an image in my mind.
    edited October 20, 2007
    twinsmom wrote:
    Please tell me you didn't take it that way!!:cry I really like that shot and just wanted to play with the crop but didn't want to step on any toes. I also love that bike shot!! You've shared great pictures and I just like playing with an image in my mind.

no no. seriously, I love to see what other people would do with my images. Remember, this is all about learning. So have it at! :D
    Andrew