Life of a DSLR

firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited October 23, 2007 in Cameras
I tried a search but couldn't find what I was looking for on the forums. How many shots can you take with your camera before sending it back for reconditioning? Or is it dependent on other factors?

I have a 20D and love it, but it sees a lot of use. I should have over 10,000 exposures with it in a few weeks. My slow time is the winter so that would be a good time to send it back to Canon (or take it somewhere locally).

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I tried a search but couldn't find what I was looking for on the forums. How many shots can you take with your camera before sending it back for reconditioning? Or is it dependent on other factors?

I have a 20D and love it, but it sees a lot of use. I should have over 10,000 exposures with it in a few weeks. My slow time is the winter so that would be a good time to send it back to Canon (or take it somewhere locally).
    Dont worry about it. Use it until it dies. My 20D would have to have easily 50-80k on the clock & still works like its new. Just try & keep it in a clean atmophere when you swap lenses is my only advice but i often break that rule also.
  • firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Thanks! I was worried because I read some where (can't remember where) that 10,000 shots was about the time a camera needed to be reconditioned. Since I am new to using my camera on a more professional basis I wasn't sure.

Christina
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Ya - no need to recondition. Most SLRS like the 20D are supposed to handle at least 50k - and I know of many who get a lot more. Just shoot till it dies, then worry about it.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 18, 2007
    A camera can fail at any time, any camera. If you are shooting something critical and if you don't have a backup camera, you are taking an awful risk.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I've got a rebel with like 70,000 on it... and its chuggin along great! I do drop it off at the canon service center once in a while for a free cleaning. IDK what all they do, but it always comes back with this funky oil smell in shutter/mirror area. I assume thats a good thing thumb.gif
  • firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Thanks for reassuring me. I'll shoot the 20D to it dies then (hopefully a long time from now). For Christmas I am going to get a backup camera body (I'm asking questions on another thread) so I don't have to worry.

Christina
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    That's pretty much what most of us do. I'm still running my 20D hard at probably well over 80-90k on it. It's only just now starting to show some hints of age (occasional unresponsiveness of the main shutter button--glad I have the secondary in the grip); a trip to Canon should fix that once it becomes an issue.