File Names and Right Click Copying

deeogeedeeogee Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited October 20, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi everyone...

Please excuse me I'm terribly new and have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to...so if you can help or redirect me that would be great.

1. I uploaded some photos with the camera assigned file names. But only a portion of the file name shows on the image in the gallery. Can you tell me how I can change the file names, or do I have to delete the images and redownload them with newly assigned names??
2. How many characters am I allowed for a file name??
3. Is there somewhere in the control panel that will tell me what the file names are and I have just missed it?? (because that's possible).
4. Is there a way to protect my images in a power account from people right clicking and copying the images on their clipboard??
5. Is there a way to protect my images on a power account from this type of copyright infringement??

Sorry for so many questions all at once but this is one of those things that has come up at the last minute and so they are all connected to each other...

Thanks

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    deeogee wrote:
    Hi everyone...

Please excuse me I'm terribly new and have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to...so if you can help or redirect me that would be great.

1. I uploaded some photos with the camera assigned file names. But only a portion of the file name shows on the image in the gallery. Can you tell me how I can change the file names, or do I have to delete the images and redownload them with newly assigned names??
    2. How many characters am I allowed for a file name??
    3. Is there somewhere in the control panel that will tell me what the file names are and I have just missed it?? (because that's possible).
    4. Is there a way to protect my images in a power account from people right clicking and copying the images on their clipboard??
    5. Is there a way to protect my images on a power account from this type of copyright infringement??

Sorry for so many questions all at once but this is one of those things that has come up at the last minute and so they are all connected to each other...

Thanks

I can help with a few of these. You can configure your gallery to show the caption instead of the filename when there is a caption. You can then populate the caption on the images you care to change and it will show that instead of the filename. To the viewer, this would appear that you changed the filename display. I do not believe there is any way to change the filename after upload.

To see what the filenames are, you should be able to view your gallery in the "traditional" view, and see each filename under the thumb or the critique view to see full detail on each image.

Smugmug offers right-click protection and watermark, both of which can be used to help prevent copyright theft, but those options are only available with the pro account level. See http://www.smugmug.com/help/image-protection for more detail. If you aren't offering prints for sale (web viewing), you could do a nice semi-transparent watermark yourself before uploading. See the watermark thread on dgrin for lots of good examples.

I don't know the specific limitations in character length on filenames.

If you have further questions, please include a link to the gallery with the filenames that you are asking about.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • deeogeedeeogee Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2007
    Thank you very much for your help...I will check out all the information you provided.