Options

architecture photography help (suggestions?)

JaravissJaraviss Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
edited October 24, 2007 in Technique
i'm really excited about photographing architecture exteriors *and* interiors.
as an architect myself, i'd like to document my work.

i've googled a few books on the subject but am recieving various reviews from users...

i'm not looking for a book of some famous architectural photographers work.
but more of a "if you want an image like this...possibly use this type of setup"

etc.

does anyone have any suggestions?

in a pinch..i could learn as i go...but i'd like to have some background on what works.

attached is an image i've recently shot (first exterior image of a buiding with my new camera)

if you do have any book recommendations, please letme know.

Thanks!
-G

mondavicenteratucdavislj4.jpg
equipment:
canon rebel XTi
18-55mm lens
60mm macro lens
75-300mm telephoto lens
canon speelite 580 EXII

Comments

• Options
    kisikisi Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    not that i have any experience with architectural photography, but just from reading about it... i think a lot of architectural photography is done with large format cameras or tilt/shift lenses in order to show a true representation of the lines of the building and get rid of any converging lines coming from tilting the camera up to get the whole building in the shot.

this link seems to have a lot of good ideas/examples. it also has some tilt/shift examples in the perspective correction section. good luck thumb.gif
    Kimberly Salem Photography
    food, portraits and weddings :D
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    kisi wrote:
    not that i have any experience with architectural photography, but just from reading about it... i think a lot of architectural photography is done with large format cameras or tilt/shift lenses in order to show a true representation of the lines of the building and get rid of any converging lines coming from tilting the camera up to get the whole building in the shot.

this link seems to have a lot of good ideas/examples. it also has some tilt/shift examples in the perspective correction section. good luck thumb.gif

Thank you very much for the quick reply!! wings.gif

I'll check those links out.
    -G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Tilt/shift
    The skew function in Photoshop is a heck of a lot cheaper than t/s lenses!!!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Hi....well, we are in the same boat! However, my challenge is metal buildings which are usually just rectangles..mmmmm.

I would have sent you to the same photonet link that has already been suggestd so if I find others in my reseach that seem informative I will send them along. :ivarHave only today and tomorrow to do a building .....with 2 levels of green roof which is set off very nicely with tan siding on the building.....and we just got 8" of snow!! Now this is going to be a challenge!!! Laughing.gif

Good luck and BTW you shot of the building is great! thumb.gif

Maureen
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 21, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    The skew function in Photoshop is a heck of a lot cheaper than t/s lenses!!!

It certainly is if he already owns Photoshop.

Canon's Tilt-Shift prime lenses - the 24 T&S or the 45 T&S will be much sharper than the zooms he is currently using also.

A good tripod, and several flashes and stands with remote triggers will be very useful also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    A good tripod, and several flashes and stands with remote triggers will be very useful also.
    Very is an understatement.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    Elements
    I have both CS3 and Elements 4. I've used the skew function in Elements for a long time for architectural work. Don't need CS3 just for that. What's Elements cost? Less than $100. He's gotta have SOMETHING for pp.
    John :
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    Oh and another thing
    I've made quite a nice bit of money over the last couple of years with a Tokina 12-24 and a couple of Nikons. The Tokina is a really nice, versatile lense for architectural work. I think it was around $900.00, but I have selective amnesia. I don't think I'd spend the money for t/s lenses unless I couldn't think of anything else I "needed" and had a pile of extra cash lying around. Far better to spend the $$ on lighting, as has already been pointed out. Especially for interior work, zooms are indispensible unless you have an unlimited glass budget..
    John :
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    thanks for all of the suggestions
    i've also emailed a few photographers i found on an aiap site...(ones that shoot around here anyway...sacramento area)
    i was pleasantly surprised by their responses and kind words on the images i sent them.

very promising and encouraging...one suggested a different lens (i can't get into my email right now for some reason..or i'd post which lens they suggested)

these guys/gals had wonderful images that were very inspirational.
    i just need my building to get built so i can shoot it!!!!

hehe
    thansk again.

in the meantime..i took a differnt shot from the same shoot and converted it to b/w
    it looked "ok" onscreen to me...but when i printed it..the darks got darker.
    ??

-G

mondavidh9.jpg
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII