Any of these "monochromatic" enough?

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited October 22, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Made a few prelimiary attempts at a monochrome shot yesterday.

Comments welcome. :D

209929390-L.jpg

209928768-L.jpg

209928706-L.jpg

Comments

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Linda, I'm not full of ideas myself, but what I think of first is the peacefulness and mistiness of the scene, not any particular family of colors.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Linda,

I think they can definitely fit into the realm of the theme, and are quite beautiful. All three are nice and I'd have a hard time picking one.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I think they fit too and #1 is my favorite.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Linda, I didn't at all mean that they weren't quality images, just that they don't speak the theme to me... #1 is the best, as it has clarity, and it has a story.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Linda, #1 is a stunning image. I love it! 2 and 3 are nice but miss a focal point for me.

Now the but... I don't see it meeting monochrome and there is not enough punch to move it as a strong contender in the color category. Of course, with my current track record, I would do the opposite of anything that I recommend. :D
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Linda, I'm not full of ideas myself, but what I think of first is the peacefulness and mistiness of the scene, not any particular family of colors.

Thanks, Mark. I was actually hoping to lean toward variations of greyish-green, if that makes any sense. headscratch.gif I don't even know that color would be called. rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 19, 2007
    Linda,

I think they can definitely fit into the realm of the theme, and are quite beautiful. All three are nice and I'd have a hard time picking one.

Emily

Thanks, Emily!! :D
    edited October 19, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I think they fit too and #1 is my favorite.

Thanks, Ken! :D
    edited October 19, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Linda, #1 is a stunning image. I love it! 2 and 3 are nice but miss a focal point for me.

Now the but... I don't see it meeting monochrome and there is not enough punch to move it as a strong contender in the color category. Of course, with my current track record, I would do the opposite of anything that I recommend. :D

Thanks, Travis! :D
    edited October 19, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif OK. You all made me put my thinking cap on when I read your notes last night so I tried two variations on #1 to see if I could make more of a monochromatic statement.

These were taken from a walkway on a bridge. Cars were going past me and causing the walkway to shake. Between the lack of sunlight and the shaking I had to resort to ISO 800, hence the graininess. If someone knows of noise removal software, or a link to a noise removal technique I can play with, can you please PM me? Thanks!

Var. 1:
    210125655-L.jpg

Var. #2
    210125576-L.jpg
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Now those speak more monochrome to me. thumb.gif As far as the noise goes, I don't think it is really an issue at the display resolution used for the contest. To me it compliments the soft focus of the fog. I wouldn't loose sleep trying to remove it.
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    I agree with Travis.

Nicely on theme and the grain looks good.

As for the two variations, I think var 1 is definitely LPS worthy.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Oooh, I like Variation 2 of image #1. Absolutely lovely photo, Linda. thumb.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Hey Linda, they feel monochromatic to me...One uses the simplicity of using the 1 hue in various shades, and the other uses the various grays.

My thought though, is that the lake appears "blown" out, and has no detail which makes the birds look like black dots or dirt, I don't know something just seems off to me....I might (myself) try a gradient mask to help with the blown out white. I really like the texture in the front with the little ducks swimming and the subtle ripples of the water, then it looks like they are going to swim into the nothing (no offense).

Actually that would be a great title..."Beyond The Nothing" :D

Hope I have not offended you for my lack of better verbage. Anyways good luck to you in whichever you choose...Hey what do I know right..:D

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Personally, I like your original better. Something that is natrually close to monochromatic is, in my eyes, a better fit than something that was converted to a single color in Photoshop. Your original, in my eyes, evokes that flat color feeling of a foggy day. I find that the newer versions lose that effect to a degree. That said, given my choice of B&W or green, I much prefer the B&W.
  • PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    I really like the atmosphere that you've captured. It sets my mind in peace. Specially the lower part of the pic is superb! #1 is better then #2. Only thing that bothers me in these pictures is the upper part, the blown out sky. So, I would try to crop that part of the pic to minimum... yet it might destroy the balanced view that you've got here...

Send them in !! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    These shots remind me of Michael Kenna's work (one of my favorite photographers) and as such I think you can vignette the sky if you choose to. I love the feel of both the originals and the variations. If I had to choose one for my wall, it would probably be either the original #1 or the Var#1. Okay, that's still not choosing one for my wall, is it?headscratch.gif Okay, the green var #1, because everything in my house is green.:D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited October 22, 2007
    Wow! Thank you, Travis, Peter, Ken, Kerry, Donna, Pexi, Emily for your feedback. I was away for the weekend and had been expecting this thread to be forgotten about.

headscratch.gif It appears as though I have some vignetting and gradient things to try out when I get home from work this evening. rolleyes1.gif