Can I use my sb800 (Nikon) off camera? if so how?:scratch
Scott

Comments

• Options
    rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Can I use my sb800 (Nikon) off camera? if so how?headscratch.gif
    Hey Scott,

Almost definitely, I'd say, but I suppose that there are some cameras out that that might not work. What camera do you have? If you can use it on camera, you should be able to use it off. Here's a few links to get you going...

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1166287

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

http://jbrittphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I'm assuming that you know your D200 can control the Sb unit off camera by IR through the on board flash. Check out the speedlights forums at nikonians.org for a lot of good info on the Creative Lighting System (CLS).
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    D200-sb800
    Easy as pie. In your custom settings menu, choose the e3 menu (built-in flash) and set it to Commander mode. Unless you want it to add to the lighting, set the built-in to -- so all it does is controll the slaved SB800. You will have the SB800 in Group A, so you have to set Group A for whatever mode you want. THEN you have to set the SB800 to act as a remote. You do that with the TOTALLY NON-INTUITIVE controls on the back of the SB800. Who designs this stupid stuff for Nikon anyway??

Once you figure out how to set the stuff up, it works like buttah.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Can I use my sb800 (Nikon) off camera? if so how?headscratch.gif

All the replies have pretty much covered it but I just wanted to add that you can control multiple units off camera with your D200, some people use up to a dozen off camera all contolled wirelessly from the camera's menu.

Nikon has a very impressive built in wireless system.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    And if you want to controll the intensity of all the remote lights w/o leaving yuor camera. Get an SU-800. It slides into your hotshoe and controlls your SB-*00's via controlls on the unit.

it is sooo nice!

-Jon
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    And if you want to controll the intensity of all the remote lights w/o leaving yuor camera. Get an SU-800. It slides into your hotshoe and controlls your SB-*00's via controlls on the unit.

it is sooo nice!

-Jon

D200, D80 does that as well without the added SU unit.:D
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2007
    Montec wrote:
    D200, D80 does that as well without the added SU unit.:D
    You can controll the flash through ev steps on the 80 and 200. THis is a big hassle IMO though.

The way I see it is this:

1 BEST - SU-800 used as commander.
    2 Good - SB-800 used as a commander (need multiple SB 6/800's)
    3.Pretty good - D80/200 camera built-in flash as commander.
    1 - most expensive, 2 - expensive, 3 pretty expensive.

I know it's easier to spend someone else's money. But if your shooting a client or the ambient lighting is rapidly changing. Your much better off shooting w/ the SU as commander since the changes are quick and intuative.

If you don't have the SU though. You can still definately controll your light though! Just a few extra steps.

-Jon
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    You can controll the flash through ev steps on the 80 and 200. THis is a big hassle IMO though.

The way I see it is this:

1 BEST - SU-800 used as commander.
    2 Good - SB-800 used as a commander (need multiple SB 6/800's)
    3.Pretty good - D80/200 camera built-in flash as commander.
    1 - most expensive, 2 - expensive, 3 pretty expensive.

I know it's easier to spend someone else's money. But if your shooting a client or the ambient lighting is rapidly changing. Your much better off shooting w/ the SU as commander since the changes are quick and intuative.

If you don't have the SU though. You can still definately controll your light though! Just a few extra steps.

-Jon

Is the SU more reliable outdoors than using a 800 as commander or the camera itself?

I find using the built in flash in commander mode quite unreliable outdoors unless you are really careful keeping the line of site open between the camera and flash's sensor, I usually need to twist a flash head around 180 to get the LOS set properly.

I use a 600 ws strobe in studio and have some radio triggers for my SB800 and 600 as fill flash and hairlights, kind of a waste of good technology but I prefer the reliability.

Can you use the SU in high speed sync (FP) mode? That is what I really would like, then I could just fire the strobe with it's optical slave and any shutter speed I wanted, the way I use them now I am limited to 1/250.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    Montec wrote:
    Is the SU more reliable outdoors than using a 800 as commander or the camera itself?

I find using the built in flash in commander mode quite unreliable outdoors unless you are really careful keeping the line of site open between the camera and flash's sensor, I usually need to twist a flash head around 180 to get the LOS set properly.

I use a 600 ws strobe in studio and have some radio triggers for my SB800 and 600 as fill flash and hairlights, kind of a waste of good technology but I prefer the reliability.

Can you use the SU in high speed sync (FP) mode? That is what I really would like, then I could just fire the strobe with it's optical slave and any shutter speed I wanted, the way I use them now I am limited to 1/250.
    The SU was designed for this type of application. I have an architectural photog friend that uses his outdoors all the time at considerable distances. It seems that the D200 had this design implamented as an after-thought to me to extend their marketing campaign.

I use PW's for triggering since I can't justify the SU (can't even jsutify the PW's but I already own them mwink.gif). I have played w/ it for a few weeks though when my friend went on vacation and jsut took his P&S. They are FANTASTIC! all ttl functionality is available. Easy to read LCD for adjustments on the fly... Good stuff thumb.gif

Auto FP high speed sync is available as long as you have a compatible camera.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    The SU was designed for this type of application. I have an architectural photog friend that uses his outdoors all the time at considerable distances. It seems that the D200 had this design implamented as an after-thought to me to extend their marketing campaign.

I use PW's for triggering since I can't justify the SU (can't even jsutify the PW's but I already own them mwink.gif). I have played w/ it for a few weeks though when my friend went on vacation and jsut took his P&S. They are FANTASTIC! all ttl functionality is available. Easy to read LCD for adjustments on the fly... Good stuff thumb.gif

Auto FP high speed sync is available as long as you have a compatible camera.

Thanks for the info, sounds like it is just what I need, with ttl functionality it makes sense to use one, bringing back the Nikon CLS into play. Right now I may as well have $50 Vivitars the way I am using my SB's in the studio.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    Montec wrote:
    Thanks for the info, sounds like it is just what I need, with ttl functionality it makes sense to use one, bringing back the Nikon CLS into play. Right now I may as well have $50 Vivitars the way I am using my SB's in the studio.
    It's really cool since you can dial into CLS then adjsut manually to make it your "flavor".
    One of these days I'll get one. My next toy is a new body though, so I have a long wait ahead of me.

Glad I could help.

-Jon
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    It's really cool since you can dial into CLS then adjsut manually to make it your "flavor".
    One of these days I'll get one. My next toy is a new body though, so I have a long wait ahead of me.

Glad I could help.

-Jon

Thanks again,

In my studio I want to use my SB800 on camera as commander to control SB600 being used as a backlight and my main light (large strobe in softbox) is being fired by optical slave.

I want to use an old Vivitar 283 in a snoot as a hairlight, any ideas on how I can get it to fire with this setup? I have radio slaves.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    Montec wrote:
    Thanks again,

In my studio I want to use my SB800 on camera as commander to control SB600 being used as a backlight and my main light (large strobe in softbox) is being fired by optical slave.

I want to use an old Vivitar 283 in a snoot as a hairlight, any ideas on how I can get it to fire with this setup? I have radio slaves.
    Since your inside. I'd say optical slave. Why make it more confusing than it has to be eh?

Not much of a reason to have sync speeds on the thousands if your shooting portraits in a studio. It's aperture that controlls your strobes NEway.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    D200
    Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing you can do with an SU-800 you can't do with the on camera flash with the D-200. You can set each of four groups (including the on-camera flash) independently and control them entirely through the menu on the D200. iTTL, AA, M, whatever. Has nothing to do with the flash ev setting. I don't usually have the on-camera flash add anything to the shot, but you can if you want. I just use it to control the other groups.

If you have a D200, you're wasting your SB-800 if you use it as a commander. The on-camera flash will do it all. If you have a D70 (say) the SB-800 is more versatile than the on-camera flash, because you can't turn the on-camera flash off. If you use it, it adds to the photo. If you're shooting into a reflective surface, this is a disadvantage, so the SB-800 is a better commander. IF you have a D-200 though, there's nothing the SB-800 will do as a commander that the on-camera flash won't do (OK, it's less powerful). That's one reason my D-70 has been relegated to "back-up" status in favor of the D-200. I have an SB-800 and three SB-600's. I NEVER use the SB-800 in commander mode when I'm using the D-200.
    John :
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing you can do with an SU-800 you can't do with the on camera flash with the D-200.
    Your not missing anything. Not sure where you read otherwise..
    It's just MUCH easier to controll your lighting through the SU vs any other method of remote controll.
    I've gone though the D200 to set strobe settings and I've gone through the SU to do the same. In regards to ease of use and "shift on the fly" the D200 doesn't hold a candle to the SU.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    I'm willin'
    . . . to be convinced, but you haven't yetmwink.gif
    John :
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    I see the light!

No wait, that's aliens!

:s85
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    Now, what I'd be willing to pay for . . .
    Would be an upgrade to Nikon Capture Control that would allow me to fiddle with the Commander Mode on my laptop while shooting tethered! That way I wouldn't have to squint at the little LCD, but could squint at the big laptop screen! God, I wish my eyes were as young as I wish I were.
    John :
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    I'm not sure, but I think elinchrom RX tracsciever kit lets you controll from your machine via a USB port transmitter. So you fire through your machine via tether and it simultaneously fires your strobes and you can adjust power. You have to buy a full set of transcieves, but it could solve the "problem" your having mwink.gif

Not sure about this, go to their site >products>RX Multi Remote (I'd link you to it, but the site is 100% flash)
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    . . . to be convinced, but you haven't yetmwink.gif

I love my SU-800.

For me, it is much simpler to use and control than the SB-800 as a commander. It is also much lighter and has a much greater range. I shoot a D2Xs with a 28-70mm, f2.8 lens so added weight is an issue. You also don't have the annoying preflash associated with using the SB-800 or the onboard flash of the D200.