Comments as I consider entering

BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited October 23, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Howdy All-

Well I am thinking I might have a few shots that could work for monochromatic. So I put together a gallery of photos I am considering after going through about 50 photos and paring them down. Now I am trying to consider which one to submit. So I figure here are the three I am considering the most...

209948242-M.jpg
Deck Stain

209945180-M.jpg
Office Blues

209947197-M.jpg
Grass Fall

Any comments?
-=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact

Comments

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    So they left everyone speechless?
    -=Bradford

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Not really, so sorry I didn't reply when I first looked at them. I know that can be frustrating when you are hoping for feedback.

As a result, I hope the following is useful.

They all seem like abstract attempts to me with 1 and 3 being monochrome and 2 being not monochrome, but not really colorful either.

I think they could all do with a bit more pop to increase contrast and make them stand out more, however specifically:

1. it is slightly crooked, so if it was mine, I'd straighten it (and a bit soft as well);
    2. the metal dowelling on the end is off putting. I'd clone it out, but I don't think it is going to be close to the top 10 if you put that one in; and
    3. The grass is OK, but it lacks pop and has no real centre of focus.

Both 1 and 3 suffer from the lack of a centre of focus, but it is certianly possible to get one, even with abstract shots.

So sorry to say, I don't think these will make the final cut, but that isn't meant to discourage, it's just my opinion.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    I'm still pretty new around here, so you can take my $0.02 for what it's worth. I appreciate feedback that is more than just "i liked it" or "it doesn't do anything for me" those don't help us learn and improve. That being said, here's my $0.02.....

#2 doesn't say either monochromatic or colorful to me

#1 and #3 seem monochromatic, but neither "grab" me.

#1 seems a bit fuzzy and flat. I agree with Peter too about being a bit crooked. I would either straighten, or angle it so that it looks like it was done with purpose.

There's a thread talking about what the judges might be looking for. While I don't always just shoot worrying about what they might think, it helped me to get a glimpse into the contest a bit and what might be good to enter. Shay posted a great entry into that thread and it can be found here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=511030&postcount=14

a small quote from that entry, I think he better explains the idea of the photo not "grabbing" me.

WORDS OF WISDOM FROM SHAY:
    Have you ever heard a person sing a song technically correct, but lacking soul or feeling? It leaves you hollow and feeling cheated doesn't it. It's not the technicals that make the song, though they are important, but what really sells the song is the soul, the feeling, and how it makes you feel. Does the song give you chills? That is a song you are going to remember. Does it make you cry, smile, yearn? Those are great songs. Make your photographs great by giving them soul and feeling, make them dig deep into my brain and not let go. Do that, I a guarantee I am voting for you!
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Hi Bradford:

I don't mean to sound insulting...but my eye view is not really stimulated by the photos nor is my mouth expressing "wow nice shot, good pov, dof, color contrast, detail, etc? "...

I don't think it quite fits the theme, or maybe I am not seeing your interpretation!

But take my opinion for what it's worth, I haven't been doing so well myself this qualifying quarter. wings.gif

Good luck in whichever you decide to choose.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Hi Bradford:

I don't mean to sound insulting...but my eye view is not really stimulated by the photos nor is my mouth expressing "wow nice shot, good pov, dof, color contrast, detail, etc? "...

I don't think it quite fits the theme, or maybe I am not seeing your interpretation!

But take my opinion for what it's worth, I haven't been doing so well myself this qualifying quarter. wings.gif

Good luck in whichever you decide to choose.

That's because you haven't included any shots of piers (damn Shay for bringing the Pier issue up a few rounds ago...:D:D).

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
    edited October 19, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. It is all helpful stuff. I figure if I don't ask for comments how can I improve :D

I have a few other ones out there as well I am considering. A second, third, fourth, set of eyes is helpful.

More stuff to look at and learn.

Thanks once again.thumb.gif
    -=Bradford

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    What can be applauded is your effort to "see" "find" something photographically important. Something interesting. Hopefully something
    "new" and express's power on one level or another. Not such an easy task
    when a person goes about finding that something in a short time frame.
    Not easy for anybody.

Experienced folks might have an easier time than others with less time
    behind the camera. It depends how the ideas flow in and your understanding
    on how to get the picture depending on conditions et....

My advice is to go and look at the photography in the LPS entries. Then
    look at the judges pics.

On top of that go and look at as much photography taken by others and see what you like about anything you find. Ask yourself that if you find
    something way cool could you find right impact angle et... could you get the shot.

Photography is an exercise in skill for a far as you can understand the tools, use of light and mood/subject.

As for the photos you have up for looking at in this thread. Zero for me are
    going anywhere. Your going to have find more and be way more creative.
    Look deeper. See deeper.

I'm trying for same. Good luck to you! thumb.gif
    Michael
    edited October 20, 2007
    Thank You
    Howdy All-

Well I went out and did more shooting today. I found some limitations in the camera, or at least my understanding of it. I was not able to figure out how to tell the camera where to focus. headscratch.gif and since it is a P&S I guess I am not surprised. I was able to change the aperture and the shutter speed though.

So the first pass of the photos are at http://bradfordbenn.smugmug.com/gallery/3682651

Thanks once again.
    -=Bradford

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Howdy All-

Well I went out and did more shooting today. I found some limitations in the camera, or at least my understanding of it. I was not able to figure out how to tell the camera where to focus. headscratch.gif and since it is a P&S I guess I am not surprised. I was able to change the aperture and the shutter speed though.

So the first pass of the photos are at http://bradfordbenn.smugmug.com/gallery/3682651

Thanks once again.

Hi Brad,

I took a brief look at your photos. I have a few recommendations and I apologize if they have already been mentioned.
    1) For this type of outdoor setting shoot either early morning or in the last hour of daylight (best in the half hour prior to sunset and the half hour after sunset - known as "The Golden Hour")
    2) Using a polarizer will give your sky much better color, but I know this isn't really an option with a p&s.
    3) Read the manual on how to get your camera to focus where you want.
    4) Use a tripod if your camera accepts one.

I hope these are helpful to you. I can tell you are eager to learn and I wish you all the very best!
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited October 20, 2007
    Hi Brad,

I took a brief look at your photos. I have a few recommendations and I apologize if they have already been mentioned.
    1) For this type of outdoor setting shoot either early morning or in the last hour of daylight (best in the half hour prior to sunset and the half hour after sunset - known as "The Golden Hour")
    2) Using a polarizer will give your sky much better color, but I know this isn't really an option with a p&s.
    3) Read the manual on how to get your camera to focus where you want.
    4) Use a tripod if your camera accepts one.

I hope these are helpful to you. I can tell you are eager to learn and I wish you all the very best!
    Emily
    Thanks for the comments Emily

I did not know about the Golden Hour, that is good to know.
    Does it count as using a polarizer if I am wearing polarized glasses? rolleyes1.gif
    I read the manual on the focus and just reread it to make sure I was right, actually I was wrong. It does let me do manual focus it is just a little odd to get there. So thanks for that.
    I was using a Gorilla Pod, and probably should have straightened the photos, those are unedited/tweaked.

But hey I am learning :)
    -=Bradford

• bugziebugzie Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    lower your expectations a little
    looking at these shots, you are trying to do too much. and you're trying to get your camera to do too much.

shooting into the sun and shooting areas of bright sunlight and shadow is very difficult. the sunlit areas will become overexposed (bleached out and white) and the shadow areas will become underexposed (dark). you have to learn to see what the camera will see. you can take pictures when the sun is high in the sky, but you have to watch where the light is falling. so, for example, wait until the main subject of your photograph is lit by the sun. then it's a no-brainer to get a pleasing shot. many of your subjects are in shadow... in sunny conditions or partially in shadow. you're paying no attention to the light at all. you're also shooting into the sun. which can be done... but is difficult.

as to playing with your shutter speed and aperture, it's interesting from a learning perspective to see what these settings do, but looking at your shots, the best exposed of them are set to "auto".

okay, so i say this: start to predict how the camera will interpret bright light and deep shade, and look for the light. try a few shots too in overcast conditions as this can be much softer and easier to handle. try shots on the auto settings. canon digicams are clever little things and handle colour and even difficult light surprisingly well. sometimes mucking about with things makes things worse.

forget the tripod, and playing with shutter and aperture, and concentrate on your subject and composition. of course, there's nothing wrong with using a tripod and manipulating settings, but you're very much at square one here.
    edited October 23, 2007
    Thanks for the comments.
    -=Bradford