Crescent Moon over LA

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited October 19, 2007 in Landscapes
Shot looking South West from Griffith Park, looking towards Santa Monica, CA, I think. Shot with a 500mm focal length.
It's a little noisier than I'd like, but oh well.
c/c welcome.
209966879-M.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Lovely! I can never make shots of the moon look anything like what I see with my eyes. I love the red glow of the dying sun.

I have rapidly become a huge fan of your work. You have a definite style and lot of skill, plus the emotion and unique flavor of your urban location comes through in every shot. thumb.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Hey thanks.
    Most shoot landscapes with a wide or an ultrawide (including me) but if you shoot the moon/sun with a telephoto, it's perspective makes the moon/sun look much bigger. So most if not all shots with a huge moon or a sun are shot with telephotos.

This one was shot at 500mm, so I think that's why the moon looks so dominant in the sky. Imagine if it was a full moon.

As for the sky, wait for the twilight, after the sun sets, the sky is kinda hazy looking and about 20 min's later, it'll fill with dark blue and the clouds will be orange/red.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    I didn't know that trick with zoom lenses. Thank you for the tip!!

Now there's one very good reason to lug around a lens as big as myself. :D

Around here the sunsets are usually too murky for nice ones. I suspect it has something to do with the constant humidity.