Rainy HS Football Game

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited October 22, 2007 in Sports
These were all shot with the 85 mm in A mode f1.8 -f 2.8, ISO 1600. WB was all over the place. I couldn't crop too close as is the nature shooting with the 85 mm, but did get some good shots along the sideline.
210057943-L.jpg
210058510-L.jpg
210058715-L.jpg
210058155-L.jpg
210059495-L.jpg
210059977-L.jpg
210060056-L.jpg
210060244-L.jpg
210060381-L.jpg
210060564-L-1.jpg

Comments

• KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Very cool shots! The rain adds a lot of drama both on the field and in the pictures. My first quality camera (Canon 1d MkII N) is still pretty new and pretty precious cargo, so I am interested in what precautions need to be taken during and after shooting in the rain, for both the camera body and the lens? Supposedly the weather sealing is one of the design strengths of my gear, but I'll still be nervous about it at first.

Also, because of the WB being all over the place, did you shoot in RAW and correct in PP?
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    My sophisticated system involved a zip loc freezer bag and holes cut out for the lens and viewfinder. The 85 mm is so small, it makes it very easy to get around a football field, although the action has to take place from the hash marks to the sidelines.

In regards to WB, I shoot in JPEG and correct using DxO by finding something white in the pic. I could do it better if I spent more time, but I am lazy. Probably would be better if adjusted on the field with a white card or something, but I noticed the WB would change from one frame to the next in the same light.

I shoot JPEG because I can fit more pics on a card and the paper wants them in JPEG anyway. With tight deadlines on Friday nights, it's one less step.
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    My sophisticated system involved a zip loc freezer bag and holes cut out for the lens and viewfinder. The 85 mm is so small, it makes it very easy to get around a football field, although the action has to take place from the hash marks to the sidelines.

In regards to WB, I shoot in JPEG and correct using DxO by finding something white in the pic. I could do it better if I spent more time, but I am lazy. Probably would be better if adjusted on the field with a white card or something, but I noticed the WB would change from one frame to the next in the same light.

I shoot JPEG because I can fit more pics on a card and the paper wants them in JPEG anyway. With tight deadlines on Friday nights, it's one less step.
    I HAVE zip loc freezer bags -- excellent! I was actually thinking of my post to you yesterday, when I got caught in the rain quite unexpectedly at a soccer game I was shooting. I trusted the gear, it seems to have survived, and I got some good captures in/of the rain although not as dramatic as yours. Got a nice rainbow too -- see my "Prep Soccer" post in this forum (rain shots not included).
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    Love the shots in the rain, but I'm gonna' let you fellas have all that rain shooting...

BTDT eek7.gif
    Randy
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2007
    I love the drama of this shot! Tho I'd be tempted to correct the WB and perhaps crop. naughty.gif

210058155-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I may do that!