Question about hoods,

thoffthoff Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited October 24, 2007 in Cameras
I guess this is a stupid question but do you find yourself shooting at night with your lens hood on? For example at a HS football game that the lighting is not that great would you leave the hood on or remove it?
Thank you in advance,
Tom
"It is what you learn after you know it all that really counts"

Comments

• kisikisi Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    headscratch.gif i don't think it would make much of a difference in terms of the overall lighting. but if you leave it on and you are shooting into, say, stadium lights, it could get rid of flare from that. i tend to leave it on unless i'm trying for flare.
    Kimberly Salem Photography
    food, portraits and weddings :D
  • thoffthoff Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Thanks
    That is what I was thinking but was not sure. I would think that with the stadium lights being low and around the field that you would have more of a chance at flare. Thanks for the response,
    Tom

kisi wrote:
    headscratch.gif i don't think it would make much of a difference in terms of the overall lighting. but if you leave it on and you are shooting into, say, stadium lights, it could get rid of flare from that. i tend to leave it on unless i'm trying for flare.
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Hoods offer protection for you front element from "x"... keeps stuff off your glass regardless of the time of day.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited October 19, 2007
    I always use a hood. Aside from preventing flare, it protects the lens from collision damage. It does increase the time to switch lenses a tiny bit, but that's a small price to pay.

Regards,
    edited October 19, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I always use a hood. Aside from preventing flare, it protects the lens from collision damage. It does increase the time to switch lenses a tiny bit, but that's a small price to pay.

Regards,

Never really thought about that. The hood is on.
    Thanks everyone.
    Tom
  • jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:

Regards,

I find it DECREASES the time it takes to change lenses because I don't need to put a lens cap on the lens when I'm removing it. I can just put it "hood side down" in my camera bag and the hood keeps the front element (lens or filter) from touching the bottom of the camera bag.

I use a lens hood at all times unless there's a specific reason to remove it such as macro work that is so close to the lens that the hood interferes with the subject. Other than that, I know of no downside to using the hood at all times.

jc
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Another full-time hood user. I have them on, even when indoors shooting my dance performances. Both from habit (a good one to have), and allows worry-free lens swaps in the dark.
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I'm big hood user, but hoods I use are somewhat different !
    Original ones stay in boxes without any regrets.
    For every configuration possible (if possible for both Canon, Nikon)
    I use/used heavy rubber collapsible original 6x7, 645 Mamiya hoods.
    With step-up rings or straight.
    They are really good made, great for every task use
    and give perfect lens protection -
    not only as light cutter, as "tripod" point or solid soft bumper too thumb.gif

Strongly recommended mwink.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Still another full-time lens hood user, either original OR rubber, depending on lens and/or replacement costs!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    At night, I don't use a hood. I am not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I would think a hood lets in less light. I will use a hood during the day. It probably doesn't really matter unless you are trying to minimise flare.

In regards to protection, I use a UV filter. A hood can still damage a lens as it can get bumped and twisted, putting torque on the eyepiece. Of course, that kind of force would damage anyway, but a hood does add some length to the lens so it would make it more prone to something like that happening. It's like using seat belts. For 95% of the time, it's better wear a seatbelt, but you will always hear of cases where the driver wasn't wearing a belt and was thrown from the car saving their life. Using a hood will protect, but there will be few cases where it would hurt.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 22, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    ...I would think a hood lets in less light. ...

A hood restricts "stray" light, that is to say, light that is not used to form the image. Stray light tends to reduce contrast in the least form and can create flare and streaks in the stronger forms.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    A hood restricts "stray" light, that is to say, light that is not used to form the image. Stray light tends to reduce contrast in the least form and can create flare and streaks in the stronger forms.

thumb.gif
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:

Ditto.
    edited October 22, 2007
    WOW! So many things I did not think about!
    Thank you all.
    Tom
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    FWIW, during the Boston playoff baseball game last night, a shooter in the pit didn't bother with the hood on what looked like his 300 f2.8.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    Lens hoods are made to be used.
    Always.
    All the time.
    In every circunstances.
    :Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    FWIW, during the Boston playoff baseball game last night, a shooter in the pit didn't bother with the hood on what looked like his 300 f2.8.

And one tonite doesn't have a raincoat on his 400 f/2.8 rolleyes1.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac