selling sports photos

rosmsrosms Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited October 25, 2007 in Sports
I shoot running events and am searching for a good way to connect to the runners to sell the photos. I think that some companies will market my photos for me. Can anyone inform me about the process and what I need to do? Dick Ross

Comments

• STP03BluesiSTP03Bluesi Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    What I do is sell mine on the different forums. I cover alot of automotive events in Florida. I find the forum and post up some shots, and lock them so they cant remove them. Then use either Smugmug for the processing or a nother source.wings.gif

Hope that helps

Christopher B.
    Sorry I don't drift..but do take the photos.
  • caughtnactioncaughtnaction Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Re: Question about selling shots!
    rosms wrote:
    I shoot running events and am searching for a good way to connect to the runners to sell the photos. I think that some companies will market my photos for me. Can anyone inform me about the process and what I need to do? Dick Ross

I use Photoreflect and now have my own website that I download my pictures to, you get to pick the lab you want out of the choices and then set your own prices! So you can set your prices low or high your choice!
    When your customer orders pictures this company takes the payment and then sends you a confirmation of order and then ships the order directly to the customer without you touching anything else!! It is the best thing I've done, then about every 2 to 3 weeks you get a check for what you sold less 18% and the cost of the developing. My website is caughtNaction.com is you want to check it out! Hope this helps! KSwings.gif
  • MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    I take the pictures, upload them to SmugMug, and then post a link to my SmugMug site on the internet blogs that discuss the events in question. Since for me, it's motorcycle racing and I'm a racer, I am already there anyway and some of the folks know me as a contributor and racer, but didn't really know I was a photographer. Just that post with link and no other marketing or advertising, and I've driven almost $250 in sales of 5x7 and 8x10 prints in 2 weeks. This with the prices really low because photography isn't my business and Harley racers are all on a budget.

My next step will be to email the teams who don't frequent the web with the same link, and email some of the top sponsors. I have already gotten one shot picked as the cover for an international piston company, and they've bartered their product which I use for my bikes, so that will be several hundred bucks in actual "stuff" done via the ol' barter system.

SmugMug also does all the printing/shipping/packaging/credit card transactions and emails me notifications each time someone buys which contains what they've bought and their name. Also tracks the profit, lets me set my own prices, lets me decide what I want to sell, etc.

Mike
  • rosmsrosms Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2007
    Thanks for the replies
    Thanks for the replies, but I think that I am really looking for the company that will contact the subjects... I am aware that there are firms that will take the order/money, print, package and mail the print... I need a company that will take the registry information and use it to contact the customer somehow. I hope there is someone who is doing this now??? Thanks again, Dick Ross
  • natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I've never heard of a that type of marketing company before, but try just handing out cards at the event/game to participants and parents. That's sure to at least get you some page hits.

Nate
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    rosms wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, but I think that I am really looking for the company that will contact the subjects... I am aware that there are firms that will take the order/money, print, package and mail the print... I need a company that will take the registry information and use it to contact the customer somehow. I hope there is someone who is doing this now??? Thanks again, Dick Ross

This company does what you are talking about:

http://www.maxpreps.com/

However: You must be certified by them to take shots, they take the lion shares of profits, and they are extremely limiting on what you can do with the photos yourself.

If you want to know more about the business side of Sports Photography, go to:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/

Very interesting articles, great message board - and you cant just join - you must be sponsored and have your work reviewed. They have some good workshop videos on the site and a 5 day boot camp if you really want to learn more.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Just for a heads-up, you might want to do a search for "peter wolf".

Here is one interesting thread.

EDIT: I just noticed that you are already aware of Peter Wolf via another thread of yours.

I shoot for PSO, and I don't think that they nor MaxPreps handles anything but prep school pics.

Good luck, and let us know if you find a company that will fullfil your needs.
    Randy
    edited October 25, 2007
    Contacting subjects after the shoot
    I really appreciate your input. I have talked to Bright Room also. Tough part is getting the word to the potential buyer after the event and I am finding slim picking. Thanks, Dick Ross

Zanotti wrote:

However: You must be certified by them to take shots, they take the lion shares of profits, and they are extremely limiting on what you can do with the photos yourself.

Very interesting articles, great message board - and you cant just join - you must be sponsored and have your work reviewed. They have some good workshop videos on the site and a 5 day boot camp if you really want to learn more.

Z
    edited October 25, 2007
    Contacting customers after the shoot
    I am handing out cards with the web site address now and it does get traffic. My issue is getting the card to folks that are flying by on bicycles or in a running road race. Thanks for the note, Dick Ross
    natephoto wrote:
    I've never heard of a that type of marketing company before, but try just handing out cards at the event/game to participants and parents. That's sure to at least get you some page hits.

Nate
    edited October 25, 2007
    Need a sponsor for sportsshooter
    I will need a sponsor for sportsshooter before I can enter queries about contacting runners after the event... Any sponsor out there?? Dick Ross

Zanotti wrote:

Z