The Power Of The Pie - The Australian MotoGP - Wheeler Goes Down Under

maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
edited November 5, 2007 in Sports
Fun, fun fun!

It was a hectic week to say the least. The first few days were spent running around the Australian bush a few hundred miles south of Sydney as part of an assignment with Kawasaki USA/AUS, in a chase car with 8 other riders. I have included a shot at the end of this post from that little junket.

Amazing scenery and some good times.

Then it was onto Melbourne where our man Ken, picked up supefly guy Wheeler and drove him down to PI. About mid way down, I lost the plot and fell asleep. Then it was three days of cooold and super windy weather at the track. Fortunately Sunday the sun came out in the afternoon and it was lovely. Again, aside from the wind...!

Ken also had to cope with me cooking for a few days, whcih I know was hard for the poor guy (right Ken... :rofl), but in all seriousness we had a blast, right mate?

Love the Island.

Here ya go peeps.......
QN4M5746_flyby_ausgp07_wheeler.jpg

QN4M4799_ROSSI_SIBERIA_WHEELER_PI07.jpg

QN4M4048_CV_pi2007_alw.jpg

QN4M5661_lorenzo_ausgp07_wheeler.jpg

LP3B2299_VERMEULEN_GSTRT_WHEELER_PI07.jpg
..and of course a little post wouldn't be complete without the "man of the moment"
QN4M3745_STONER_LUKEYPI2007_WHEELER.jpg
...and here are a couple of "bushwhackers"
QN4M1686_bushriders-1.jpg

I'll let you know when the site is updated...

TTFN - Andrew
AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
Next Race - MotoGP Donington
:ivar

Comments

• STP03BluesiSTP03Bluesi Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    WOW very nice!bowdown.gif
    Sorry I don't drift..but do take the photos.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Love the last one andrew. The weather down there at Phillip Island can be unpredictable on a good day as its so close to the Bass Straight. I spent a lot of time down there training when i was in the military.
  • maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Love the last one andrew. The weather down there at Phillip Island can be unpredictable on a good day as its so close to the Bass Straight. I spent a lot of time down there training when i was in the military.

Oh I know, I guess you could say I'm a veteran of that place and have witnessed the funky weather in all of it's incarnations! I just love everything about the Island.

Andrew :)

• TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Great work Andrew, I was at a local race track down here in Tas on race day of the MotoGP. Wind was like a knife, cut right through you.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • DucCatDucCat Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Andrew-

Fantastic shots! My favorite Rossi of course, the shot of Vermeulen in the tuck is amazing. Looking forward to Valenciailoveyou.gif
    Find what you love... Love what you find
  • KennyKenny Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    maczippy wrote:
    Fun, fun fun!

Amazing scenery and some good times.

Then it was onto Melbourne where our man Ken, picked up supefly guy Wheeler and drove him down to PI. About mid way down, I lost the plot and fell asleep. Then it was three days of cooold and super windy weather at the track. Fortunately Sunday the sun came out in the afternoon and it was lovely. Again, aside from the wind...!

Ken also had to cope with me cooking for a few days, whcih I know was hard for the poor guy (right Ken... rolleyes1.gif), but in all seriousness we had a blast, right mate?

Love the Island.

Here ya go peeps.......

TTFN - Andrew
    Hey there Andrew...

I still think this shot is fantastic. Must be that Canon gear you're using, hey? mwink.gif

I have to say I had a ball again this year... and yeah, the food was a little hard to put up with rolleyes1.gif. Man I ate well! :D ... Good food, good wine and great company. Oh yeah, and some 'tography in there too!

The weather certainly was a little unpredictable, but as they say, you can have all four seasons in a single day down on the Island! I got wet and cold over the first couple of days, but then it wasn't too bad. It was great to see such big crowds there this year to cheer on our new World Champion!
    So, let's see... only 351 days to go until next years big race deal.gif

Cheers,
    Ken
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 19, 2007
    Ah 'zippy. You kill me everytime. Cool shots, great action and as I learned from
    a previous post, great way to show off the track.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • §imone§imone Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    I had to contend with watchin the race on telly crying1.gif while the other half kept ringing me & sayin "listen to this" as they went flying past.

Awesome pic of Stoner. I'm loving it. Awesome shots all round thumb.gif

Simone

Canon 350D
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens
    Canon 75-300mm

Fuji FinePix S9500 9 Megapixels

Simone's Expressions - Yarn Over Hook

Sometimes we dont do things we want to do so that others will not know we want to do them. - Ivy Walker - The Village

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Dang. This one and the Stoner one rock!

Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    Wow great photography eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    maczippy wrote:

..and of course a little post wouldn't be complete without the "man of the moment"

I know absolutely nothing about motorcycles. I've never even been on a motorcycle! But I do know that these are two awesome photographs!!thumb.gif I've been staring at them now for the past 10 minutes!

Thanks for posting these.
    edited October 24, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    [/center]
    I know absolutely nothing about motorcycles. I've never even been on a motorcycle! But I do know that these are two awesome photographs!!thumb.gif I've been staring at them now for the past 10 minutes!

Thanks for posting these.

Actually your comments are very welcomed, as I do try to get across to folks who may not even have an interest in this sport that it really is a true spectacle, dirt or road, and even if you don't ride it is a wonderful way to watch good clean competition done by extremely talented folks.

That said, riding a bike is really liberating IMO.

edited October 24, 2007
    I knew I posted for a reason...

There's a smattering of imagery from PI now online!
    NICKY_HAYDEN_07GP16_064_ALW.jpg
    Andrew

• MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    As a rider, racer, photographer, attendee of MotoGP and WSB events, and a guy who's lucky enough to have been published in the past with his own hamfisted attempts at GP photography, I really appreciate the quality of your images. Not that it matters, but just wanted to say thanks. bowdown.gif

These were the kings of my era lol

170552982-S.jpg
  • KennyKenny Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    maczippy wrote:
    I knew I posted for a reason...

There's a smattering of imagery from PI now online!
    NICKY_HAYDEN_07GP16_064_ALW.jpg
    Andrew
    Hey Andrew... great shot and nice to see Kurtis Roberts in front of someone instead of behind... although I suspect NH is about to overtake him! :D (Poor Kurtis seemed to be "tail end charlie" all weekend at PI!)

BTW... the camera mounted on the back of Nicky's bike looks like a knife handle with the blade firmly embedded in his back!!

Cook shot.

Cheers,
    Ken
  • RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Wow - you photos are amazing! Great inspiration for someone like me just starting out... I went through your gallery and my jaw dropped.
    ...like this...
    :jawdrop
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Is the pit-wall blur shot a new maczippy standard? :D Beautiful work, Andrew! thumb.gif
    Tim
    edited October 27, 2007
    Is the pit-wall blur shot a new maczippy standard? :D Beautiful work, Andrew! thumb.gif

rolleyes1.gif

The funny thing with shooting GP's is the fact that with the lack of bikes vs say the AMA when you plan on shoting "personality" stuff in the garage etc, the bikes all tend to go out together, thus, you're left pretty much waiting for someone to come in...there's definately no wandering around the garages (or as a comparison the AMA workshop tents) shooting arty shots of suspension setups!

So it's a question of mentaly timing when they appear, disappear, and then appear to get it.

• ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Dang. This one and the Stoner one rock!

Darn this is THE best mc pics ive ever seen!....top notch!
    edited November 5, 2007
    Mike..and Arvan,

Thank you. Comments appreciated.

Some images from Valencia shortly.