Converter for Sigma 50-500

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited October 20, 2007 in Cameras
I have just bought a Sigma 1.4xDG APO Tele Converter for my Sigma 50-500mm lens which I use on my 400D and 40D. I note that the lens is now 70-700mm when I look at the photos on Lightroom. I find the magnification is a wee bit better but the focusing leaves a lot to be desired, in other words crap apart from the odd shot which is not too bad and can be remedied on Lightroom. I would like to know if there is any other converter for the Bigma than the one I have used. I can take it back to the store within a couple of weeks so no problem.
I tried this converter on my Canon 70-200LF.4 lens and was quite impressed. I note it goes up to 280mm with the converter. I can get the 2X Canon converter for this lens for a few pounds more. I love my 500 and I must say I was disappointed with the results with the converter. I will try again tomorrow and take a lot more shots. Your comments for the two would be more than appreciated.
Bob
Dumfries & Galloway
Scotland

Comments

• kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    The AF probelm is because the lens becomes about F10 at 500mm with the TC. Even the Canon 1D series is not designed to AF with lenses slower than F8.

You'll likely have similar problems with your 70-200/4 with a 2x TC. It will be a F8 lens.

If you want to use a 500mm lens with a TC and have AF then you need to get the Canon 500/4 or sigma 500/4.5.

Gene

canon400d wrote:
    I have just bought a Sigma 1.4xDG APO Tele Converter for my Sigma 50-500mm lens which I use on my 400D and 40D. I note that the lens is now 70-700mm when I look at the photos on Lightroom. I find the magnification is a wee bit better but the focusing leaves a lot to be desired, in other words crap apart from the odd shot which is not too bad and can be remedied on Lightroom. I would like to know if there is any other converter for the Bigma than the one I have used. I can take it back to the store within a couple of weeks so no problem.
    I tried this converter on my Canon 70-200LF.4 lens and was quite impressed. I note it goes up to 280mm with the converter. I can get the 2X Canon converter for this lens for a few pounds more. I love my 500 and I must say I was disappointed with the results with the converter. I will try again tomorrow and take a lot more shots. Your comments for the two would be more than appreciated.
    Bob
    Dumfries & Galloway
    Scotland
  • lowbonelowbone Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    I tried the Sigma 1.4 converter on the Sigma 50-500 when I had one and the results were almost always disappointing. Occasionally I would get a good sharp shot but definitely nothing I could depend on. If you want that kind of focal length with decent IQ you will have to go for a 500MM PRIME WITH A 1.4